Twins/Indians game

fathom

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 01:21 AM)
BTW -- don't quote me on it, but I don't think we draw Santana for next weekend's series at the Dome.  So, there's your good news of the day.

CWS... I like the way you're thinking tonight. The funny thing is that I said that same Santana factoid around the 7th inning today when the game was obviously over. Also, my feeling for the last few months was that if this team didn't make the playoffs, I honestly wouldn't be upset. If you can't make the playoffs with the leads we've had, you flat out don't deserve to make it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
Also, my feeling for the last few months was that if this team didn't make the playoffs, I honestly wouldn't be upset.  If you can't make the playoffs with the leads we've had, you flat out don't deserve to make it.

There was a time a few months ago where i thought "what would be my reaction if the sox won the world series?", now my thoughts are, "what would be my reaction if the sox miss the playoffs?"

Oh, how times have changed.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 07:29 PM)
If that's?  What are you talking about?  This weekend?  Cause that would be such a good representation of what they are.

Let's check the ERA of our staff the past 30 days.

Garland: 4.35

Buehrle: 3.86

Garcia: 4.32

Hernandez: 6.59

Contreras: 2.72

Care to rethink that statement because the only dominating one I see in there is Count. Our 2nd best pitcher can't do anything against elite teams. Hernandez has been sucking majorly. Garland and Garcia are nothing better than mediocre. And remember, this is the last 30 days, not just this month.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 01:37 AM)

Care to rethink that statement because the only dominating one I see in there is Count. Our 2nd best pitcher can't do anything against elite teams. Hernandez has been sucking majorly. Garland and Garcia are nothing better than mediocre. And remember, this is the last 30 days, not just this month.

30 games is equal to about six starts.

In six starts, Aaron Small has a 2.82 ERA. Damn, we better find a way to get that guy in this team...

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 08:37 PM)

Roger Clemens' ERA for the last 5 starts is 4.45. He's not a dominant pitcher I guess.

Replace El Duque with McCarthy because we have no reason not to believe that the McCarthy with the major league change up isn't a better pitcher at this time.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 08:05 PM)
Roger Clemens' ERA for the last 5 starts is 4.45.  He's not a dominant pitcher I guess.

Replace El Duque with McCarthy because we have no reason not to believe that the McCarthy with the major league change up isn't a better pitcher at this time.

I said rotation. McCarthy isn't in our rotation last time I checked.

Small's ERA so far is 2.82 the whole year. It's 3.00 the last 30 days. That's pretty damn good. He would be the 2nd best pitcher on this staff currently. So yes, we should find a way to get him on our team. He's pitched 51.0 innings. That's about 7 games worth of starts. Was our staff dominating earlier in the year? Yeah. Is it dominating now during the stretch run? Hell no and it hasn't been for the most part after the AS break.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)

Well he is what he is and he's on our team. He should be in and considered a member of our starting rotation at this point in the season but whether or not that happens is up to Ozzie.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
Well he is what he is and he's on our team.  He should be in and considered a member of our starting rotation at this point in the season but whether or not that happens is up to Ozzie.

Well he should be is different than he is. Trust me. I'm a duque fan and know he has nothing right now and should be switching roles with McCarthy, but that isn't what happened. Can't count a guy in the rotation who isn't there because Ozzie is not the brightest bulb. No hard feelings though. Just a nice debate.

:cheers

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 02:38 AM)

Small's ERA so far is 2.82 the whole year. It's 3.00 the last 30 days. That's pretty damn good. He would be the 2nd best pitcher on this staff currently. So yes, we should find a way to get him on our team. He's pitched 51.0 innings. That's about 7 games worth of starts. Was our staff dominating earlier in the year? Yeah. Is it dominating now during the stretch run? Hell no and it hasn't been for the most part after the AS break.

LOL, yeah, we should put Aaron Small in our rotation because of 51 IP. I mean, that's not a small sample size or nothing like that... :rolly

Debating with you = pointless.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 03:13 AM)
If Aaron Small was on the Sox, you'd trott out the same line that you use for guys like Bajenaru.

What the hell are you talking about? Small has proven that he can be a successful MLB starter in the AL so far this season. All I've ever said about Baj is that he obviously wasn't highly regarded within the organization, and that I could understand why Adkins was on the team above him because Ozzie liked him from the year before, and Adkins was stretched out to go longer than Baj.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 03:14 AM)
What the hell are you talking about?  Small has proven that he can be a successful MLB starter in the AL so far this season.  All I've ever said about Baj is that he obviously wasn't highly regarded within the organization, and that I could understand why Adkins was on the team above him because Ozzie liked him from the year before, and Adkins was stretched out to go longer than Baj.

No, that Baj is just a AAA fodder who will only be successful against AAA hitters.

GMAB. He's started six games. When he does this for the rest of this year, and all of next year, then you can tell me that he can be a successful starter. Until then, I'll look at his career 4.99 ERA and his 4.37 minor league ERA as proof that he's nothing more then a last-arm-in-the-bullpen, AAAA type.

Wow, all I was saying is that if I had to choose between Duque and Small right now, I'd choose Small for the Sox. If we're going to proclaim McCarthy to be Cy McCarthy, then Small deserves some acclaim also. Maybe I got into the Small/Duque argument late, so I'm not sure if I chimed in on the wrong topic.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 03:28 AM)
Wow, all I was saying is that if I had to choose between Duque and Small right now, I'd choose Small for the Sox.  If we're going to proclaim McCarthy to be Cy McCarthy, then Small deserves some acclaim also.  Maybe I got into the Small/Duque argument late, so I'm not sure if I chimed in on the wrong topic.

McCarthy is 21.

Small is in his mid-30s.

When one guy continues to do what he's been doing the past two years (minus two months or so), yes, there's reason for optimism.

When the other guy is pitching about two ERA points better then his career line, at the age of what, 33 (?), yeah, that's a little odd.

I was responding to you saying that he's proven he can be a capable AL starter, which isn't true...

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
Well he should be is different than he is. Trust me. I'm a duque fan and know he has nothing right now and should be switching roles with McCarthy, but that isn't what happened. Can't count a guy in the rotation who isn't there because Ozzie is not the brightest bulb. No hard feelings though. Just a nice debate.

:cheers

Just something I ran across today, 4 of our starters are in the top 15 in the AL in terms of ERA+. That is pretty damn impressive. Add a McCarthy that actually throws a changeup to that and you have the best starting rotation in the leauge. I will give you that they've underperformed since the break though.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 09:41 PM)
McCarthy is 21.

Small is in his mid-30s.

When one guy continues to do what he's been doing the past two years (minus two months or so), yes, there's reason for optimism.

When the other guy is pitching about two ERA points better then his career line, at the age of what, 33 (?), yeah, that's a little odd.

I was responding to you saying that he's proven he can be a capable AL starter, which isn't true...

Using that logic, we shouldn't have gotten Podsednik considering he broke into the majors late?

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)
Just something I ran across today, 4 of our starters are in the top 15 in the AL in terms of ERA+.  That is pretty damn impressive.  Add a McCarthy that actually throws a changeup to that and you have the best starting rotation in the leauge.  I will give you that they've underperformed since the break though.

Well yeah. Look, I really have no problems with our rotation. The season usually goes like this for pitchers: Either you get off to a hot start and reach a tiring point in which you need offense to support you or you start off sluggish and turn it on for the rest of the year.

We got off to a hot start. It's time for our offense to carry us and it really hasn't done that. We've came out bad against good ballclubs. This pitching would've been perfect with last year's offense with Pierzynski replacing last year's C and Iguchi replacing Valentin/Harris.