Frat Guy Rules

IlliniKrush

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 07:35 PM)
Get over yourself bra.  To disagree with their way of life is one thing, but, to purposely go out of one's way to bash them...whatever.

Truth of the matter is you're belov'ed Illinois is home to the largest Greek system in the US.  To be independant is almost to be in the minority.

Greek life isn't all paddles and binge-drinking.  ...and, I'm out.  Have a good one.

purposely bashing? What are you talking about...if someone acts like a jerk to you and you call them an asshole, thats not purposefully bashing, thats calling someone out. This was a mock piece on fraternities, nobody has been purposefully bashing fraternities. If we think they are stupid, so what, you had a good time right? But to say that we're jealous cause we aren't in a fraternity, is one of the most absurdly funny things in the world...

and who cares if the majority of U of I is greek...that doesn't make them right. The majority of people do a lot of dumb things...like vote for bush.

QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
i gotta complete disagree with you.

besides the fraternity's that actually have a purpose ( ie: business ones, etc), the only reason they are around is so people that feel the need to "have friends" can.  Why not join a few clubs and meet people that actually share a common interest with you instead of "brotherhood".

The greek system promotes a continuation of the high school mentality where you "have to be in the in crowd". 

Alot of the disagreement for me at least, is that i don't want to live the frat lifestyle, i rarely drink, etc.....

I guess to people that are outcasts it may seem that way. Sorry that you have such a negative view and experience of people in fraternities. Seems that there must be a reason for this in your case, because at my school, I had many friends that were not in my fraternity and were not in any organizations as well. Keep on keepin on I guess, FYI though, "high school mentality" is part of being in a sociall setting, it is going to exist in your next job, your next social scene, your kids soccer games, PTA etc etc.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)
Get over yourself.  There are dumbass fraternities and there are ones that actually have their head screwed on right.  If you think you are above them, then good for you.  They are obviously doing something right to have been around for as long they have.  But, if you're too cool for them, than I think that's just great (GDI).

No addy, get over yourself. I posted the frat rules and that was about it. Who brought up all this other stuff? Raines, then you.

All i responded to was the fact that he said i want to be in a frat and am jealous. If i wanted to be in a frat, i'd be in one, quite obviously. There's a million of em on this campus.

Sure, there are a few business/econ/whatever frats that serve a purpose. The rest of em are filled with drunk assholes who live in filth and brag about how many girls they've got with.

Where did i say i was above them? Also, why do you think you are above me? What, are you rushing this semester or something? I love how you defend yourself with "Illinois has the biggest Greek system." I care.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
SnB knows what i'm talking about, he experiences the same things down here.

What kinds of experiences have you had?

Personally, I do agree that the majority of frat guys are arrogant, but I never had any bad experiences at any of their parties or hanging out with my friends' "brothers." Some of my friends joined frats, and although there was a slight difference in how they acted (yeah, it's noticeable), I wouldn't call them complete assholes. You can be proud, but some become arrogant.

As long as they don't bother me, I don't really care. Some (sadly, the minority) frat guys are still respectful and pretty cool.

But yeah, why would you pay for your friends? :P

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
The rest of em are filled with drunk assholes who live in filth and brag about how many girls they've got with.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
I guess to people that are outcasts it may seem that way. 

Settle down there, guys...

Edited by SleepyWhiteSox

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 07:41 PM)
I guess to people that are outcasts it may seem that way.  Sorry that you have such a negative view and experience of people in fraternities.  Seems that there must be a reason for this in your case, because at my school, I had many friends that were not in my fraternity and were not in any organizations as well.  Keep on keepin on I guess, FYI though, "high school mentality" is part of being in a sociall setting, it is going to exist in your next job, your next social scene, your kids soccer games, PTA etc etc.

identifying people who don't want to be in frats as "outcasts" is the very definition of a "high school mentality."

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
Sure, there are a few business/econ/whatever frats that serve a purpose. The rest of em are filled with drunk assholes who live in filth and brag about how many girls they've got with.

Where did i say i was above them?

Wow, nice generalization. Thinking that way about fraternities shows that you know nothing about them. I guess you never get drunk? You never have fun with your friends? If you read my post, you would see what you dont know about fraternities. I was in one of the largest, especially on YOUR campus, probably one that you hate. Yet i have an entirely different view on the situation, and a different view of you people looking in. If I was to mention what I thought about people who werent in Greek Organizations, would you take kindly to it? I dont think so. Saying negative things about any group of people, is going to make you look ignorant. If someone said that sox fans are all white trash hillbillies that run on the field to attack people. You would be offended because you know better, and you love the sox and what they stand for.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 02:49 PM)
Wow, nice generalization.  Thinking that way about fraternities shows that you know nothing about them.  I guess you never get drunk? You never have fun with your friends?  If you read my post, you would see what you dont know about fraternities.  I was in one of the largest, especially on YOUR campus, probably one that you hate.  Yet i have an entirely different view on the situation, and a different view of you people looking in.  If I was to mention what I thought about people who werent in Greek Organizations, would you take kindly to it?  I dont think so.  Saying negative things about any group of people, is going to make you look ignorant.  If someone said that sox fans are all white trash hillbillies that run on the field to attack people.  You would be offended because you know better, and you love the sox and what they stand for.

This is such a bulls*** argument because you are biased. Period.

I can make whatever generalization i want from what i know. You can call that ignorant if you wish.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
identifying people who don't want to be in frats as "outcasts" is the very definition of a "high school mentality."

I was linking the statement about not wanting to be with the majority, it wasnt negative in any way to people who dont want to be Greek. I have many friend who were not Greek, and I have nothing against them. They in turn, had nothing against Greeks. Knowledge is key, I rest my case