something else to talk about

iguchi=dank

Havn't heard anybody talk about this, so since I'm bored of choke/playoff/hitting/mariotti talk, how bout this question. We are obviously going to have a monster rotation next yr. especially if we keep jose and he stays sharp. I would actually like to move the wall back quite a bit. Face it, ownership isn't gonna pay the money for more big bobbers and most of our outfield is very fast, plus we play better on the road and most places aren't a bandbox like the Cell. I think it would help our record next year to keep up with the teams in our division. Well whatcha all think?

PS. also its worth noting all our homeruns hit these past few havn't brought an abundace of fans these last few years and its not like we can't have a few less seats in the outfield.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 11:37 PM)
Ownership isn't going to pay for the money to move the fences back. They already had payed money for them to be pulled in a couple of years ago. Just because we have an anemic offense doesn't mean the fences is the problem. It's our offense that is.

We do get something like 2.5 million to revovate the field every year. Although I believe for next year they are changing all of the seats green with the money.

QUOTE(iguchi=dank @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 05:39 PM)
so you really think our offense will be much improved next year.. Move em back it was stupid to move em in

The team isn't going to spend it's time and money tinkering with the ballpark. As far as I know, the last thing they're doing is changing the blue seats to green. That's it. We are going to need to have a better offense or at least play like we did earlier in the year. Moving the fences is not an option.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 05:44 PM)
You'd lose more seats, and they'd have to figure out where to move the bullpens to.  That'd be an impossible move.

That too. We won't be moving the bullpens to foul territory(I doubt there's enough space for that) and major cash would be lost. And our offense depends on the longball(though most of the team is not very good at hitting for them). Basically, you're trying to take away the one thing we do consistantly on offense and hit the longball.

You could move homeplate back, remake the infield, and cutback on the amount of foul territory.

When JR first bought the Sox the plate was moved up in old Comiskey, and was later moved back to it's original position several years later. Not that hard to do, and probably cheaper than removing seats, and we know Jerry loves things that are cheaper.

QUOTE(iguchi=dank @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)
Havn't heard anybody talk about this, so since I'm bored of choke/playoff/hitting/mariotti talk, how bout this question.  We are obviously going to have a monster rotation next yr. especially if we keep jose and he stays sharp.  I would actually like to move the wall back quite a bit.  Face it, ownership isn't gonna pay the money for more big bobbers and most of our outfield is very fast, plus we play better on the road and most places aren't a bandbox like the Cell.  I think it would help our record next year to keep up with the teams in our division.  Well whatcha all think?

PS. also its worth noting all our homeruns hit these past few havn't brought an abundace of fans these last few years and its not like we can't have a few less seats in the outfield.

So that way we try to lose Friday's game instead of winning it?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 08:04 PM)
Going back to the seat issue, they already took out close to, if not more than 4000 seats of the UD, and those were seats not often used. The first 7 or 8 rows of the bleachers are always sold, Boston or KC. Just based on that alone would make it next to never that they will move the fences back.

We lost about 8000 seats with the rennovation. They aren't going to make the park any smaller, so this isn't going to happen now.

I don't see this as an issue. The Sox have hit 114 HR at home and given up 98.

If it were an issue the easy solution would be to make the existing fence a little taller, perhaps with a chain link or screen you could see through. I sat in the 12th row out there for core of the core and, if remember right, don't think it would interfere much with the sight lines. I had a lot of beers though.