25-man roster

VAfan

For some reason, my post from yesterday didn't get through. I'll try again.

4 starting pitchers:

1. Contreras

2. Buehrle

3. Garcia

4. Garland

5 bullpen arms

5. Jenks

6. Politte

7. Cotts

8. Hermanson

9. Marte (gulp, but we have to have him)

2 more pitchers

10. McCarthy (earned spot; best long reliever, can get K's and doesn't walk anyone)

11. El Duque (experience, could be key if we play Yanks, rested)

Odd man out: Vizcaino (only useful when he pitches a lot, and he hasn't in quite some time; otherwise he's a right handed Marte).

14 hitters

12. Konerko

13. Iguchi

14. Uribe

15. Crede

16. Pierzynski

17. Podsednik

18. Rowand

19. Dye

20. Everett

2 obvious bench players:

21. Widger

22. Ozuna

Decisions, decisions.

23. Willie Harris (speed in 1-run game is key; still best defensive 2B, can play OF)

I would take:

24. Brian Anderson (won't happen, but I'd rather have right-handed pop with better defense, than a lefty (Perez)

25. Ross Gload (also won't happen, but he can pinch hit, whereas Blum cannot, and he's the designated late game pinch runner for Konerko anyway. Plus, he's a better defensive 1B than Blum).

Left home:

Timo Perez and Geoff Blum. Of course both are going to go instead of Anderson/Gload, but I wish Ozzie would choose the better ballplayers. We don't need Blum especially because he's really 3rd on the depth chart at every position he plays.

no way in hell Ozzie leaves Timo off the roster. Blum offers a ton of flexibility, but I was really disappointed to hear him blame lack of playing time on his ground out double play the other night. If he's not comfortable coming in to hit off the bench, which it sounds like he isn't, then I think you lean toward Gload. Plus Gload's a better bat.

Edited by The Ginger Kid

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
All I can hope is that none of these moves matter, because if we are talking about Timo and Geoff next week, were f***ed.

Granted, that's probably true, though at least Timo has had a clutch game winning hit that I can remember. Maybe Blum is a good luck charm since SD also made it.

The one move that may really matter, however, is the 11th pitcher. I'd want both McCarthy and El Duque if I were Ozzie.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
For some reason, my post from yesterday didn't get through.  I'll try again.

4 starting pitchers:

1. Contreras

2. Buehrle

3. Garcia

4. Garland

5 bullpen arms

5. Jenks

6. Politte

7. Cotts

8. Hermanson

9. Marte (gulp, but we have to have him)

2 more pitchers

10.  McCarthy (earned spot; best long reliever, can get K's and doesn't walk anyone)

11.  El Duque (experience, could be key if we play Yanks, rested)

Odd man out: Vizcaino (only useful when he pitches a lot, and he hasn't in quite some time; otherwise he's a right handed Marte). 

14 hitters

12.  Konerko

13.  Iguchi

14.  Uribe

15.  Crede

16.  Pierzynski

17.  Podsednik

18.  Rowand

19.  Dye

20.  Everett

2 obvious bench players:

21.  Widger

22.  Ozuna

Decisions, decisions.

23.  Willie Harris (speed in 1-run game is key; still best defensive 2B, can play OF)

I would take:

24.  Brian Anderson (won't happen, but I'd rather have right-handed pop with better defense, than a lefty (Perez)

25.  Ross Gload (also won't happen, but he can pinch hit, whereas Blum cannot, and he's the designated late game pinch runner for Konerko anyway.  Plus, he's a better defensive 1B than Blum). 

Left home:

Timo Perez and Geoff Blum.  Of course both are going to go instead of Anderson/Gload, but I wish Ozzie would choose the better ballplayers.  We don't need Blum especially because he's really 3rd on the depth chart at every position he plays.

No matter what anyone's thoughts are you won't see Vizcaino left off the roster nor will you see Perez and Blum off, both of whom, have either been with this team or at least in the Majors all year. Andeson ain't goin and I am betting McvCarthy isn't either. El Duque will go bad arm or not. That's Ozzie thinking there.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
No matter what anyone's thoughts are you won't see Vizcaino left off the roster nor will you see Perez and Blum off, both of whom, have either been with this team or at least in the Majors all year. Andeson ain't goin and I am betting McvCarthy isn't either. El Duque will go bad arm or not. That's Ozzie thinking there.

I can say with 82.5% certainty that Brandon McCarthy will infact make the playoff roster.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 06:57 PM)

I hope we take a lesson from the Angels and go with the best players, not just the guys that have been in the majors.

You wouldn't leave Bobby Jenks off the roster, would you?? He started the lowest of any potential postseason guy this year.

I hope we take a lesson from the Angels and go with the best players, not just the guys that have been in the majors. 

:rolly

Maybe the guys that have been in the majors ARE the best players.

I think your buddy Gload will be the odd man out, but I suspect he'll get a few appearances this weekend in Cleveland.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 07:15 PM)
Making a case for Blum, I think he HAS to go. Lets say Paul gets a basehit in the 8th,and they put in Willie to run. You then put Blum in at 1st in the 9th. Same situation with Joe. Joe gets a basehit, you put in Willie, then have Blum go in at 3b.

Ozuna would do any pinch running for Crede so it only costs you 1 player, and I would keep Gload to either run for or back up Konerko because he's better defensively at first than Blum, plus he can actually hit.

But I know I'm fighting a losing proposition here. Ozzie seems to have put Gload in his doghouse, and Perez is his favorite puppy, so I fully expect Gload and Anderson to remain off the roster.

The one position I hope they get right is 11th pitcher.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 07:19 PM)
I think he should be #1 in line for the extra roster spot created by going from 12 pitchers to 11...for 1 simple reason...Dave Roberts.

Willie's two exceptional defensive plays yesterday I think make him a lock. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ozzie use him as a defensive replacement for Iguchi late in a tight game.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
Willie's two exceptional defensive plays yesterday I think make him a lock.  Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ozzie use him as a defensive replacement for Iguchi late in a tight game.

Honestly I think I'd be surprised by that...playoff games have a nasty habit of going into Extra Innings, and every time you remove a guy for defensive purposes, you lose his bat if things wind up tied. Especially with one of our best guys at creating problems, moving runners along, getting timely hits...that seems like something Ozzie might not do.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
For a team & a manager that believes pitching & defense wins championships BMac is staying & Vizc is left off. 

As for the bench: Timo, Harris, Ozuna, Widger are sure things.  Blum probably over Anderson.

I can live with that if he makes the right call on the pitchers, especially if he uses them correctly in the games.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
Yeah, I think Blum, Harris, & Perez are givens.  Ozzie doesn't like Gload (for some dumb reason.)  I think we should get both El Duque & McCarthy in the pen before Vizcaino, but Ozzie's been weird (& infuriating) about his loyalties to some players.

But he did seem to allude to the fact that he's not looking forward to telling someone who played 162 games that they're not on the post season roster, which makes me believe it's Viz or Duque that's going to get torched.

Well, after tonight, El Duque is certainly in, as is Willie Harris.

And is there life for my man

ROSS GLOAD?

Does anyone think Geoff Blum could have driven that ball to the wall and plated two runs? Gload looked awful early, but give the guy a break. He's had no ABs this year. Put him in tomorrow or Sunday and I guarantee he'll have a multi-hit game.

My final choice for a bench would be Widger, Ozuna, Harris, Perez, and Gload.

As for pitching, if Ozzie wants to make the bold move, he should leave Marte off the roster and keep Vizcaino. I don't trust Marte against tough lefties anyway.

4 Starting Pitchers:

1. Contreras

2. Buehrle

3. Garland

4. Garcia

Bullpen

5. Jenks

6. McCarthy

7. Cotts

8. Politte

9. Vizcaino

10. Hermanson

11. El Duque

14 Hitters:

12. Pods

13. Iguchi

14. Konerko

15. Dye

16. Carl

17. Pierzynski

18. Uribe

19. Crede

20. Rowand

Bench:

21. Widger

22. Blum

23. Ozuna

24. Perez

25. Gload

White Sox Josh. You wouldn't take Willie Harris? He may turn out to be the most valuable bench player we have.

I'm glad the last two posters agree that Marte should be left behind. I think I wouldn't mind seeing him go just so I didn't have to see him come into a ballgame. Though it is really too bad with him. The guy has electric stuff. He just can't control it.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
White Sox Josh.  You wouldn't take Willie Harris?  He may turn out to be the most valuable bench player we have. 

I'm glad the last two posters agree that Marte should be left behind.  I think I wouldn't mind seeing him go just so I didn't have to see him come into a ballgame.  Though it is really too bad with him.  The guy has electric stuff.  He just can't control it.

I was going back and forth with that one. I really think you could take either. I just think that Gload has a little more pop from the left side though. He also is smooth in the field which would make him a great defensive replacment. Remember opening day.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 30, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
I was going back and forth with that one.  I really think you could take either.  I just think that Gload has a little more pop from the left side though.  He also is smooth in the field which would make him a great defensive replacment.  Remember opening day.

Yeah, I remember. Gload wasnt with the team.