Imrem Suggests

Sox1422

Pierre would be perfect in our line up.  Both on offense and defense.  Then again it wouldn't matter who was on base right now, with the way the middle of the order has been hitting.

Yeah his numbers would suffer, in our lineup.

We need to quickly make a change in the lineup and this team and I think it starts in CF. You have a position player (Rowand or Harris it doesn't matter) who can't do anything with the bat except an occasional single. That means you are hitting 8 players instead of nine. Anyplace else we can improve after CF? If the CF also commits errors that give up runs we are a minus 2.

I am a huge Encarnacion fan and I also like Pierre. To me both would be great additions to the club. Heck, I'd take both of them and move Caballo and someone else and worry about Borchard where to play Borchard when the time comes and he proves he's ready.

I really believe this team should retool. I rarely ever see it get done in the regular season, but if you recall Billy Beane did a bit of this after the first month to month of a half of the season last year.

I've seen Pierre play a lot. Great kid/great hustle. But he is a defensive liability in Center. Really a poor arm. He would make a fine left fielder, however. I wouldn't mind him at DH either, if people could get out of the mind set of only having home run hitters as DH's.

I've seen Pierre play a lot.  Great kid/great hustle.  But he is a defensive liability in Center.  Really a poor arm.  He would make a fine left fielder, however.  I wouldn't mind him at DH either, if people could get out of the mind set of only having home run hitters as DH's.

I'm down for having speedy guys that can hit for avg and get on base as dh. Heck, I prefer it. I really don't think that homers win games. If you can hit for avg then it doesn't matter whether you hit a ton of homers. Angels weren't a big homerun hitting team and look where it got them.

If we trade Lee for Pierre, then I still believe that the Sox have to find something to replace Thomas. Move Thomas's salary at least so they can reup with Buehrle and Colon. Those guys have to be here.

Personally I think I may rather have Encarnacion, but before I say that I really should check out the stats.

What is your penchant need to trade Carlos Lee?

He's showing very good D prowess in LF this year. Did you watch the game on Sun? Did you see how he lifted himself on 1 hand over the wall to try & make that play? A few more feet & he might have gotten a glove on it.

How about the play Sat night? Makes a sliding catch attempt & then quickly gets up & fires a bullet to 3B. Do you think the SOX win that game if he doesn't make that play?

The reality of Carlos is that he's got decent speed for a big man, & a strong arm, & this year he looks pretty sound D. Offensively he trails Maggs by 12 in the TB, tied with Maggs in HR, & trails Maggs by 4 in RBI. A 745 OPS is not great by any stretch of the imagination, but a 455 SLG is not bad either. Clearly his K's have hurt in his 290 OBP. But he is capable of discipline at the plate as evidenced by last year.

His just starting to wake up with a 4 gm hitting streak producing 1 HR & 2 RBI. I think it would be a mistake to trade him when he's only making 4.2mil and can likely be signed to a Val like contract.

In contrast Pierre has a 668 OPS. Bolstered by 13W in 40G. His biggest asset is his speed with 17/21 SB so far. His career OPS is 727, with a 356 OBP. He can't hit LH's with a 690 OPS, & can barely hit RH's with a 735 OPS. But he is avg'g close to 30bb a season. He's also avg'g 7 HBP a yr.

His Day & Night spreads are scary: Day 813 OPS, Night 678 OPS. The SOX play mostly at night. SEP is his big month with a career 840 OPS. Other than that he barely maintains his bat over 700 OPS.

He's avg'd a little over 35 RBI, & 75 R per yr.

Lee has avg'd over 85 RBI, & nearly 90 R per yr.

Lee vs Encarnacion: career #'s

Lee 2k3: 748 OPS, 292 OBP, 456 SLG

Enc 2k3: 786 OPS, 319 OBP, 467 SLG

Last 3 yrs:

Lee 3yr: 819 OPS, 341 OBP, 478 SLG

Lee vLH: 789 OPS, vRH: 827 OPS

Lee vHm: 781 OPS, vRd: 859 OPS

Lee vMth: 818 ops, 837 ops, 870 ops, 880 ops, 702 ops, 845 ops

Lee vSit: non 802, ron 842, scp: 841 2&3: 940, close & late: 878 : ops

Last 3 yrs:

Enc 3yr: 750 OPS, 318 OBP, 432 SLG

Enc vLH: 743 OPS, vRH: 753 OPS

Enc vHm: 701 OPS, vRd: 798 OPS

Enc vMth: 814 ops, 746 ops, 810 ops, 653 ops, 759 ops, 718 ops

Enc vSit: non 799, ron 691, scp: 694 2&3: 621, close & late: 777 : ops

Why would I trade for a RF to replace Lee when?

1) He can't hold Lee's jock in hitting

2) He avgs just 5 more SB's a yr than Lee

3) He can't hit in the clutch

4) His career OPS is 70 less than Lee's

The grass is not always greener on the other side.

If I were to take either of these guys for Lee it would be Pierre simply because:

1) He plays a decent CF

2) His SB's can make up for his weakness in the bat

But neither of these guys posess Lee's potential.

I suppose if you are thinking Enc's going to have a breakout year you can make an argument, but looking at his monthly avg's he always starts strong. Lee has started out weak this year which is abnormal with his monthly's.

Fielding wise:

Enc 1000, 1.63 rf, .887 zr

Pie 0988, 2.06 rf, .742 zr

Lee 1000, 2.16 rf, .873 zr

I'm sticking with Lee.

But I'd entertain the idea of picking up Pierre & Beckett/Penny/A-Gon for Maggs + spare parts. Florida could use a 1B as well. So maybe it wouldn't take Maggs, but rather Konerko instead. We have lots of spare parts in both the bats & arms dept.