I'm disappointed

FlaCWS

I know it's not official yet, but today's events make it very likely that we'll play the Bosox in round 1. That is the one team I wanted no part of. I realize their pitching is weaker than NY or the Angels, but Ortiz and Manny send a shiver up my spine. Plus they are the defending champs. I certainly wasn't rooting against the White Sox this weekend, but I was sort of hoping they would lay down for the Tribe. I like our matchup against LA much better. Now the Tribe will have to win 2 straight and Boston will have to lose 2 straight for that to happen.

I still think we can beat Boston, I just like our chances better against the Angels.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 05:34 PM)
I know it's not official yet, but today's events make it very likely that we'll play the Bosox in round 1. That is the one team I wanted no part of. I realize their pitching is weaker than NY or the Angels, but Ortiz and Manny send a shiver up my spine. Plus they are the defending champs. I certainly wasn't rooting against the White Sox this weekend, but I was sort of hoping they would lay down for the Tribe. I like our matchup against LA much better. Now the Tribe will have to win 2 straight and Boston will have to lose 2 straight for that to happen.

I still think we can beat Boston, I just like our chances better against the Angels.

Everyone has their own opinions on who they'd like to play, the fact is it's ridiculous for a team to lay down so they can basically choose their opponent, the sox would never ever do that. If the Sox play like they can they'll beat anyone.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 04:34 PM)

If you ask me, it's pick your poison. Would you rather face Damon/Ortiz/Ramirez/Varitek? Or Colon/Guerrero/Lackey/ Rodriguez?....... If you ask me, I think were better off facing Boston w/ homefield advantage. But if our offense doesn't show up, were screwed. Where if we face the Angels, and our pitching doesn't show up, were screwed. Flip a coin.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
If you ask me, it's pick your poison. Would you rather face Damon/Ortiz/Ramirez/Varitek? Or Colon/Guerrero/Lackey/ Rodriguez?.......  If you ask me, I think were better off facing Boston w/ homefield advantage. But if our offense doesn't show up, were screwed. Where if we face the Angels, and our pitching doesn't show up, were screwed. Flip a coin.

It's pick your poison with any al playoff team, that's why they're in the playoffs.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
My point is, would you rather face Boston's offense or the Angels pitching.

I definitely understand what you're saying cy, I'm just saying basically what Brian said, all these teams in the al playoffs are damn good and we're going to have to earn our way no matter what.

Everyone wanted the Yankees, but they're very similar to the Red Sox (great offense, average starting pitching), except NY has a closer. And no Angels for me, Colon, great bullpen, and their offense is not too shabby, add west coast trips to the equation, and adios from me.

Bring em on, they'll be backing into the playoffs, and our guys have no problem with playing in hostile road environments

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
My point is... would you rather face Boston's offense or the Angels pitching?

Just my opinion, but I'd rather face the Angels pitching. Mostly because I think it's overrated. Our strength is pitching and, while the Angels have a solid lineup, I just think we match up better against their hitters. Ortiz and Manny are a 1-2 punch like I've never seen.

Like I said, I think we can beat anyone out there. I just like the matchup with the Angels better. But hey, what's done is done (almost). Bring on the Bosox.

On the plus side, we probably have a better shot at playing in prime-time with the Red Sox instead of the Angels.

Edited by FlaCWS

Personally I'd rather end up playing the big money teams from the East than the Angels too...because the Angels are so close to a mirror image of us...they've scored almost exactly as many runs as us this year, they've pitched almost exactly as well as us...the only thing we really have as an advantage over them is our total bullpen ERA, and in their best guys they're as good as anyone. About the only difference is that they're way behind us in home runs, but they hit a hell of a lot better than us with RISP.

In the playoffs, pitching and defense win games. You don't win many games by out slugging everyone. Why did the Red Sox come back agains tthe Yankees last year? Because the Red Sox pitchers stepped it up.

I think it will be us or the Angels coming out of the AL because of that.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 06:08 PM)
who said Cleveland won't win tommorow and the yankees will beat the red sox and cleveland won't win the Wild Card.  You guys are pretty much saying that the Sox will automaticly win.

I think we will probably lose tomorrow as our BP needs rest. But I would highly doubt Boston loses w/ the Yanks playing their scrubs....... But then again, you never know...............

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 06:39 PM)
So if it ends up Boston-Sox and Yankees-Angels, who gets the night games? Does the NY factor trump all?

Well let's see.....Ny vs. La or Chicago "White Sox" vs. Boston?? I think the answer is fairly obvious unfortunately.

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 09:09 PM)
MLB.com says that the game that does not contain the wild card winner will be primetime, so we'd be 3 pm on Tuesday, but I'd kill them if they put us on at noon

on the ESPN promo's the past few days, they say the divisoin series will start at noon central on tuesday....does that mean anything?

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 08:18 PM)
I think we will probably lose tomorrow as our BP needs rest. But I would highly doubt Boston loses w/ the Yanks playing their scrubs....... But then again, you never know...............

i think the Yankees would take great satisfaction in knocking the Red Sox out of the playoffs especially after last year.