October Posts of the Month

Rex Kickass

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 10:01 PM)
I feel for ya.  Brian and I were dating in 2000 . . . he is a Mariners fan.  That is all.  :lolhitting

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
so, will he be playing golf tomorrow, like the Mariners? :lolhitting

:notworthy :lolhitting

QUOTE(hi8is @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
is it a bad thing that i enjoy as many people as humanly possible rubbing their feet all over my ass crack?

and that if they are dirty feet, i quiver like a little white fluffly bunny rabbit?

QUOTE(mkalk @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)
:huh: How many times were you dropped on your head as a baby? :bang  :stick  :banghead

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)
He goes in streaks like this... but he is harmless.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
well, when i was a baby... my head was where most peoples anus is... so whenever i forgot that fact, and tried to sit down.... i did some brain damage...

after the doctors transplanted my head to where other humans have theirs... i was fine

so, to anwser your question

countless times.

:bang

(thats good smiley use... take note please)

QUOTE(mkalk @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
Interesting story. I hope it didn't scar you too much being around normal people.

I found this funny, in the who would you rather play thread, which obviously went off topic

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 15, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)
On the missed catcher's interference call on Steve Finley, Finley hurt his team.  Here is how.

Catcher's interference is a delayed dead ball situation.  It is not an immediate dead ball.  If called, the team on offense may elect to take the result of the play instead of the penalty of the catcher's interference.

In this situation, as McCarver noted, Finley should have been awarded 1B with the runner on 1B moving to 2B and the runner on 3B staying put since he was not forced home.  The bases would have been loaded with one out.

Alternately, if Finley hustled down the line rather than looking back he would have been safe at 1B.  In that case, the runner from 3B would have scored and the out would have been recorded at 2B for the 2nd out.  The Angels COULD have elected to take that play, giving up the out for the run.  If they chose the interference call, they would have the bases loaded with one out, but they would be taking a run off the board.  No one knows what they would have chosen, but just by hustling Finley could have an RBI and the Angels be down 3-2 at that point and within one run.

Since the call is a delayed dead ball, the umpire should have held his arm straigh out with a closed fist indicating the intereference, but allowing the play to continue to it's completion.  So there was no reason for Finley to look back.  The umpire does not verbalize anything in that situation and the ball is not dead, so Finley's job is to bust his ass down the line. 

Here is why it is important for him to do so.  What happens if Igughi throws the ball into LF, making an error on the play.  By rule, if the batter reaches 1B by hit or error AND all other runners move up one base, the interference is ignored and never becomes an issue.  So in reality, by Finley trying to be the umpire, he cost his team a run. 

Yes the call was missed.  But if he does his job, the Angels score another run there.

YASNY posted this about the ALCS.

YAS, thanks for the inspiration.

A little background information to start this off. About 10 days ago I received one of those hokey emails that everyone gets from time to time. This one was about a wealthy man the found a penny and relished in the moment. When asked about it, he refered to the "In God We Trust" reminder it gave him. As I said, hokey.

As some of you might know, I work the midnight shift, which explains why I'm posting on Soxtalk at all hours of the night and have been refered to as a "vampire". Well, after the Angels won the first game of the series, I went to work but was a bit distressed about the Sox loss. At some point in the night, I walked out to the parking lot to get some fresh air and help me wake up a bit. While walking around, I looked down and saw a dime laying on the pavement. I picked it up and put it into my pocket. Just about the time I pulled my hand out of my pocket, I remembered that email. I said, "Ok. It's on you." as I glanced up.

Well, we all know what happened in game 2 with the AJ, Ozuna, Crede sequence of events. I thought about the dime and smiled. Later that night, I went to a Subway to get a sandwich. So I'm standing there waiting while they put my sub together and I glance down and there between my feet is another dime. I picked it, said to myself "In God We Trust" and put it into my pocket. Of course, the Sox won game three.

Saturday, I was sweeping a bathroom floor. In that bathroom, I have a fairly large linen closet. I open the bifold doors to sweep the floor of that closet and in the back corner of that closet, what do I see? Another dime, of course. Again, I put in my pocket and acknowleded "the coincidence". Another dime found followed by another Sox victory.

Sunday. I didn't find a dime. Was somewhat concerned by game time, as I had been looking, hoping that I'd find one. Just before game time, it dawned on me. If God had been behind this coincidence of finding dimes followed by Sox victories, how many reminders from Him did I expect? So, I sat down and watched the Sox play again. No dime, but I was confident that things would go the Sox way.

Take this story how you want to. It doesn't matter to me. I'm just hoping that between now and Saturday, I look down at some point and find another dime.

From Flaxx in a thread about finding tickets for the World Series

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 11:26 PM)
does anyone recommend any good ticket brokers?  i'm trying for tickets tomorrow but chances are that i wont get them.  so i know people who visit here know alot of useful information.

Does anyne recommend any good axe murderers? :P

"Good ticket broker" is an oxymoron. They're one of the main reasons us ham-and-eggers are coming up empty on playoff tickets right now. :angry:

Paul Konerko's wife had a baby today.

Of course the old jokes about "congrats Paul, I didn't know you were pregnant" came out.

But, Queen Prawn took it a different direction...

AnthraxFan93: He didn't even look pregnant.

QP: He sure ran like it though.

Ah yessss... the classic Slonerko joke.

Gets me everytime.

:lol:

From the Critic in the thread about the woman who threw her kids into SF bay.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)
How come the voices never tell anyone to do charity work, or go on a diet, or run their car into Wrigley?

...you know, GOOD things, HELPFUL things....

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
opening day 2006.

retire shoeless Joe's jersey and have a World Series banner, we can dream.....

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
There were no numbers then, so what would they retire? Seriously asking.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
His shoes??

Not like he used them... :D

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
Good point, maybe just name.

no one can ever be called shoeless joe on the sox ever again..

:)

LOL. And congrats to Jimbo's Drinker for a great recovery and tip in.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
In a related story, Mayor White also declared this weekend as "Hold Your God-Damned Noses, Everyone, Something Smelled Like It Died Weekend" in Houston.

Saturday is "Please Wash Your f***ing Feet Day" and Sunday is "Didn't I Tell You Yesterday To Wash Your f***ing Feet Day".

In the Houston major declares a no sock day in the city. And if anyone hasn't been to Houston, foot odor would be an improvement to the refinery smells.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 05:56 PM)
thought I just heard them say on ESPN that AJ is 5th and Rowand is sixth to go righty-lefty-righty in that part of the order

QUOTE(Johnny @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 06:53 PM)
they should of left it as is.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)
Who'd pitch?  Jurassic?

:bang

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 07:00 PM)
I hear that we will be batting Jon in the nine hole, for s***s and giggles.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 25, 2005 -> 07:04 PM)
I heard the pitchers spot will be batting 9th instead of 5th tonight.

:huh

one of the funniest and yet wrongest jokes I have seen in a while.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
If this has been floating around out there I hadn't run into it until I saw it on a friend's White Sox blog.  Brilliant!!  :bang  :bang

The Chicago White Sox have tied Bobby Brown's record by beating Houston four times in one week.

:notworthy  :notworthy