That 6th inning at the bar in N. Michigan

chitownsportsfan

Short story here, I live in N. Michigan, as you can probably guess, it's not much of a baseball area, not to mention not much of a Sox area.

I don't have cable service at my house in the boondocks, so I have to go to the local hick sports bar to watch the games on ESPN and such. I was there on friday, the only one watching baseball (the others were glued to NASCAR practice...) and I had had about 4 Jack's on the rocks when freaking Marte walks the bases loaded. I'm pissed off, good and buzzed, figure I'm ready to go, I"ll listen to the rest on AM 1000, which amazingly comes in crystal clear in my car most nights. I go up to pay my tab with my debit card, and the bartender goes "cash only". I say, and I quote, "are you f***ing kidding me". He goes, "there is an ATM down the block". I walk down the block, pissed off beyond reason, and when I get back EL DUQUE HAS GOT 2 OUTS NOBODY IN. I'm like f*** it, so I sit and watch him get that last out on a groundout. Now, I was going to stiff the bartender for not telling me it was cash only (and for obivous reasons about marte and ozzie), but suddendly, I'm pumped up. I give him a 5 dollar tip for his efforts.

I walk out to my car, and as I sit down and hear the wonderful voice of Farmer, I scream: EL DUQUE! An old lady looks at me funny.

I end up listening to the final out in my driveway.

Anyone else have good stories about the emotional swing that inning?

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)
Short story here, I live in N. Michigan, as you can probably guess, it's not much of a baseball area, not to mention not much of a Sox area.

I don't have cable service at my house in the boondocks, so I have to go to the local hick sports bar to watch the games on ESPN and such.  I was there on friday, the only one watching baseball (the others were glued to NASCAR practice...) and I had had about 4 Jack's on the rocks when freaking Marte walks the bases loaded.  I'm pissed off, good and buzzed, figure I'm ready to go, I"ll listen to the rest on AM 1000, which amazingly comes in crystal clear in my car most nights.  I go up to pay my tab with my debit card, and the bartender goes "cash only".  I say, and I quote, "are you f***ing kidding me".  He goes, "there is an ATM down the block".  I walk down the block, pissed off beyond reason, and when I get back EL DUQUE HAS GOT 2 OUTS NOBODY IN.  I'm like f*** it, so I sit and watch him get that last out on a groundout.  Now, I was going to stiff the bartender for not telling me it was cash only (and for obivous reasons about marte and ozzie), but suddendly, I'm pumped up.  I give him a 5 dollar tip for his efforts.

I walk out to my car, and as I sit down and hear the wonderful voice of Farmer, I scream: EL DUQUE!  An old lady looks at me funny.

He got Damon out on a strike out check swing, if you are gonna bore us with a long story, get the f***ing facts straight :bang :P (dont take it personally)

Edited by WSoxMatt

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)
I was watching the game at a friends house who isn't a baseball fan

so I was just celebrating amongst myself in silence and fist pumps

i think he was looking for other good stories...

:P

Yea, good points guys. I love to laugh at myself, especially on the internet ;)

lol.

Yea, I'm obviously a little to into this beer tonight to make any sort of stories.

I just feel so isolated up here in nowheresville.

Give me the Red Line and the magnifecent mile and that overpriced french caffe I always go to anyday over this hickville.

Still you read it!

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)
and I had had about 4 Jack's on the rocks when freaking Marte walks the bases loaded. 

Not as much an emotional swing but more of a cold sweat and a deep sigh of relief.

But I'm glad I wasn't on the road near you on your way home . . . .

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 01:15 AM)

I don't have cable service at my house in the boondocks, so I have to go to the local hick sports bar to watch the games on ESPN and such.  I was there on friday, the only one watching baseball (the others were glued to NASCAR practice...) and I had had about 4 Jack's on the rocks when freaking Marte walks the bases loaded.  I'm pissed off, good and buzzed, figure I'm ready to go, I"ll listen to the rest on AM 1000, which amazingly comes in crystal clear in my car most nights.  I go up to pay my tab with my debit card, and the bartender goes "cash only".  I say, and I quote, "are you f***ing kidding me".  He goes, "there is an ATM down the block".  I walk down the block, pissed off beyond reason, and when I get back EL DUQUE HAS GOT 2 OUTS NOBODY IN.  I'm like f*** it, so I sit and watch him get that last out on a groundout.  Now, I was going to stiff the bartender for not telling me it was cash only (and for obivous reasons about marte and ozzie), but suddendly, I'm pumped up.  I give him a 5 dollar tip for his efforts.

I walk out to my car, and as I sit down and hear the wonderful voice of Farmer, I scream: EL DUQUE!  An old lady looks at me funny.

Good story, but if you ever make it to a Chicago bar to watch a game make sure you tip correctly :D :gosox3:

The antenna on my car is gone. I get AM reception ok out in the sticks, but I was driving home from the far burbs. The closer I got to the city, the worse the static got until I couldn't understand anything just when Marte finished walking the bases loaded. I drove the rest of the long way sure the Sox had blown it, plopped myself on my girlfriend's sofa and turned on the TV expecting the worst, just in time to see champaigne spraying all over big Frank's shining dome. Three cheers for the White Sox (and TIVO)