Konerko's dad expects son to test market

SSH2005

QUOTE(rangercal @ Oct 22, 2005 -> 10:27 PM)
If we win it all, Wouldn't a logical answer be to keep the team as is?  IF it ain't broke don't fix it.

Those ideas would be trading Brandon McCarthy for Russ Ortiz, Aaron Rowand and Jon Garland for Orlando Cabrera and Jermaine Dye for Jay Gibbons you know. ;)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 05:04 PM)
I love how people react to these threads.

Konerko's father can say whatever he wants. Konerko's father is not playing, he is not hitting, nor in the end will he be signing the contract.

This thread is entirely speculation, not to mention who knows the intention, original context of the question, etc.

We will see what happens, and if Konerko is offered a contract that is comparable to the other offers, I believe he will take the White Sox offer.

That is home town discount, giving your team the edge in bargaining.

For those of you unfamiliar with the concept of home town discount, perhaps some reading on the Astros will do the trick. I believe both Pettite and Clemens, rejected much more favorable deals to come to the Astros. Also I believe Andruw Jones made a similar deal.

While none of them came "cheap", they all signed for undermarket value. Which should be the real definition of home town discount.

SB

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Oct 22, 2005 -> 11:23 PM)
The two Houston pitchers were going home. Konerko's home is Rhode Island, so the Red Sox are the only ones who get the luxury of a hometown discount. Anyway, let's just win the world series. If that happens I will care a lot less. A lot less.

Konerko was born there, doesn't he live in Scottsdale, Arizona during the off-season?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 22, 2005 -> 06:26 AM)
Konerko was born there, doesn't he live in Scottsdale, Arizona during the off-season?

Yes, his home is in AZ, which is one of the reasons why some people have speculated that AZ or LAA or LAD might be logical destinations for him.

Sit the guy down during the 14 days after the world series, ask him what it would take for him to sign right then and there, and if it makes sense, write that b**** up.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Oct 22, 2005 -> 06:27 AM)
If we win it all, Wouldn't a logical answer be to keep the team as is?  IF it ain't broke don't fix it.

I'm completely with you here ranger. Even if we dont win it all we can tweak the team a bit without getting rid of this core. Upgrade at dh that way we can improve our offense without messing with the defensive studs on the left side of the infield, also get rid of Damaso and Viz, throw the duke in the pen, Brandon in the rotation, and sign someone like a Mike Myers who can be that LOOGY that ozzie seems to need, and Myers is devastating on lefties.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 22, 2005 -> 12:56 PM)
I'm completely with you here ranger.  Even if we dont win it all we can tweak the team a bit without getting rid of this core.  Upgrade at dh that way we can improve our offense without messing with the defensive studs on the left side of the infield, also get rid of Damaso and Viz, throw the duke in the pen, Brandon in the rotation, and sign someone like a Mike Myers who can be that LOOGY that ozzie seems to need, and Myers is devastating on lefties.

There's also a good chance that a couple of our guys will have better offensive years next year...AJ was way down in average this year...Crede had like 4 of his best months in baseball but had average numbers because of 2 terrible months, and we all know Uribe is capable of more than we saw this year. Iguchi could be better after another year as well...he'd know the pitchers a lot better.

My 1 worry is that in 2001 we tried to tweak the team without getting rid of the core, and it all collapsed under the tweaks.