2006 salary analysis

Greg Hibbard

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 09:44 PM)
I hope they can backload Konerko's contract.  Like have him earn $6 Million for the first year and he ends up earning $14.5 Million in the last year of the contract.  That would total up to $49 Million and you can put bonuses in there to.

On the other hand, what happens if we offer Konerko the same amount of money as some other team, but we offer it backloaded, the other team doesn't, and Paulie decides that the non-backloaded deal is the better option, and we lose him for that incredibly stupid reason?

If we want him back next year, we should not jerk him around. Don't push for obscene amounts of deferred cash, don't push too hard for anything backloaded...if we want to keep him, we need to be willing to match what other people offer, not just in dollars and cents but in the details of the contract. I don't think we can afford to lose the guy, and if we're going to pay the money anyway, that's not something that's worth risking losing him.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
I hope they can backload Konerko's contract.  Like have him earn $6 Million for the first year and he ends up earning $14.5 Million in the last year of the contract.  That would total up to $49 Million and you can put bonuses in there to.

If you were Paul Konerko, why would you take $6M in the 1st year of a contract after the season and playoffs you've had, when Anaheim will definitely offer you $13M over 5 years at least?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
If you were Paul Konerko, why would you take $6M in the 1st year of a contract after the season and playoffs you've had, when Anaheim will definitely offer you $13M over 5 years at least?

I would not say that Anaheim would definately offer him that much. I don't think we have a clue what the Angels will offer.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
I would not say that Anaheim would definately offer him that much.  I don't think we have a clue what the Angels will offer.

I'm pretty sure they will, if you've read pretty much every Konerko article, snippet in the off-season etc., the Sox may have to go to $65M over 5 years to keep him, because that's what these teams like the Angels are going to be offering him.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
I'm pretty sure they will, if you've read pretty much every Konerko article, snippet in the off-season etc., the Sox may have to go to $65M over 5 years to keep him, because that's what these teams like the Angels are going to be offering him.

I think it'd be worth your time to hit up This LAT Piece on how the Angels salary situation sits in 2005. In order to make a serious run at Konerko, they'd probably have to push $110 million in 06, if not more, given that they have 2 FA holes on their starting rotation right now and a FA hole at their starting catcher spot.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 10:50 PM)
On the other hand, what happens if we offer Konerko the same amount of money as some other team, but we offer it backloaded, the other team doesn't, and Paulie decides that the non-backloaded deal is the better option, and we lose him for that incredibly stupid reason?

If we want him back next year, we should not jerk him around.  Don't push for obscene amounts of deferred cash, don't push too hard for anything backloaded...if we want to keep him, we need to be willing to match what other people offer, not just in dollars and cents but in the details of the contract.  I don't think we can afford to lose the guy, and if we're going to pay the money anyway, that's not something that's worth risking losing him.

some of the money will be deferred. I mean Delgado got $4 Million last year and will now get somewhere around $18 Million.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 09:05 PM)
some of the money will be deferred.  I mean Delgado got $4 Million last year and will now get somewhere around $18 Million.

But was anyone offering Delgado the same total price the Marlins were? That argument only works if there were no other equal suitors. If the Marlins were offering $5 million more total than any other team, but they would only do so if Delgado deferred some of the money, then it would make sense for him to take that option just because the total sum would be more.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)
I think it'd be worth your time to hit up This LAT Piece on how the Angels salary situation sits in 2005.  In order to make a serious run at Konerko, they'd probably have to push $110 million in 06, if not more, given that they have 2 FA holes on their starting rotation right now and a FA hole at their starting catcher spot.

That article needs registration.

But they can always try and trade Finley to the Yanks to save salary, and Salmon's contract comes off the books. That's $17M in possible savings right there. I don't think Washburn's going to be back, although I think Byrd may stay leaving a rotation of Colon, Lackey, Escobar, Byrd and Santana. They'll probably re-sign Molina, but there's other options out there like Kojima and Hernandez.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 09:19 PM)

But they can always try and trade Finley to the Yanks to save salary, and Salmon's contract comes off the books. That's $17M in possible savings right there. I don't think Washburn's going to be back, although I think Byrd may stay leaving a rotation of Colon, Lackey, Escobar, Byrd and Santana. They'll probably re-sign Molina, but there's other options out there like Kojima and Hernandez.

General Manager Bill Stoneman said the Angel payroll — about $97 million in 2005 — would "probably be a little higher in 2006," and with the contracts of Tim Salmon, Jarrod Washburn, Paul Byrd and Bengie Molina expiring, the Angels could shed $24.5 million from the 2005 payroll.

But with $73 million committed to nine players under contract for 2006 and the Angels needing an estimated $16 million to retain the 14 players who are eligible for arbitration or under team control, the Angels already have about $89 million committed to their 2006 payroll, not counting Molina and Byrd.

So, the Angels couldn't add Ramirez's $19-million salary without trimming payroll. The Angels also plan to make a strong bid to sign free-agent slugger Paul Konerko, whose price tag — projected in the $12-million-a-year range — and emotional baggage are considerably lighter than the quirky and unpredictable Ramirez.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
some of the money will be deferred.  I mean Delgado got $4 Million last year and will now get somewhere around $18 Million.

$18M. Ummm no;

Carlos Delgado: signed 4-year deal worth 52M thru the 2008 season on 1/25/05- he will make 4M in 2005, 13.5M in 2006, 14.4M in 2007 and 16M in 2008- + the deal includes a Team Option for 2009 worth 12M or a 4M buyout-

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)

I easily think Moreno could go to the $110M payroll range if they could sign the right players. Byrd will probably get around 4 to 5M. Molina about 6M, unless they decide to go somewhere else. So I still think they could definitely offer Konerko $75M/5.

The Yankees are finally dumping old fart Bernie Williams. They aren't going to want to add 40 year old Steve Finley who had a garbage year and whom you have to really question if he was on steroids in previous years. The Yankees would rather have a young guy like Rowand or Juan Pierre to patrol center field. The Yankees are old enough as it is. I doubt they want to get even older.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 09:23 PM)
I easily think Moreno could go to the $110M payroll range if they could sign the right players. Byrd will probably get around 4 to 5M. Molina about 6M, unless they decide to go somewhere else. So I still think they could definitely offer Konerko $75M/5.

That puts them in the $115 million range.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
The Yankees are finally dumping old fart Bernie Williams.  They aren't going to want to add 40 year old Steve Finley who had a garbage year and whom you have to really question if he was on steroids in previous years.  The Yankees would rather have a young guy like Rowand or Juan Pierre to patrol center field.  The Yankees are old enough as it is.  I doubt they want to get even older.

Torri Hunter's their #1 trade option, but he's going nowhere unless the Yanks decide to give up Robinson Cano. It would be smart to go after Rowand, but will the Yanks do so, and what would the cost be?

Just saying that with Finley's previous success and his LH bat, if they could get him for practically nothing, they may decide to go that way. But it wouldn't be the smartest idea. Pierre's an interesting option, but when you look at the Yankees, they don't have a lot of good trade chips.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 09:25 PM)
The Yankees are finally dumping old fart Bernie Williams.  They aren't going to want to add 40 year old Steve Finley who had a garbage year and whom you have to really question if he was on steroids in previous years.  The Yankees would rather have a young guy like Rowand or Juan Pierre to patrol center field.  The Yankees are old enough as it is.  I doubt they want to get even older.

The Yankees will sign Damon. I feel pretty darn confident in that one.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
The Yankees will sign Damon.  I feel pretty darn confident in that one.

Yeah which is pretty stupid for the money he's going to get, especially if they give him a 5 year deal.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
Yeah which is pretty stupid for the money he's going to get, especially if they give him a 5 year deal.

Which is exactly why I expect them to sign him...it is a perfect fit...a stupid amount of money for a player who maybe deserves it and maybe will play well enough to earn it if his skills never diminish.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
So in essence it's up to Moreno, but I think with a player like Konerko they'd go for it.

That'd still be nearly a 20% increase in their salary over this year. That'd still be an increase of about $18 million dollars this offseason.

I just can't see them being willing to do it unless they let Molina and Byrd both walk. $12 million a year for Paulie maybe, but $15 just seems like overkill. Hell, Vlad the Impaler is only signed at 5 years, $70 million.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 03:22 PM)
Garland has 159 Career starts with 64 wins.  Wood has 174 Career starts with 70 wins.  I still don't believe Garland gets $8 mil in arbitration.

spoken like a true cubs fan. garland is better than wood; he is a member of the white sox. wood is on the cubs.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)

There is no way in hell Konerko takes a pay cut from 2005 to 2006 when he's a free agent. Let's come back to the real world, please.

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 10:09 PM)
spoken like a true cubs fan. garland is better than wood; he is a member of the white sox. wood is on the cubs.

Wins by Garland since 2001: 60

Wins by Kerry Wood since 2001: 49.

Drop the fact that Garland came into the league several years after Wood, and Garland is already outpacing him. And given that Jon is 2 years younger...well...add it up.