Monday Nov 7th: Colts @ Patriots

Who will the game?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the game?

• Colts
    • Patriots

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 06:10 PM)
I don't think the NFL has figured out the Colts offense at all.  I think Peyton Manning has realized that it makes his defense a lot better if his offense isn't such a quick-strike, off the field in 30 seconds sort of offense all the time.

Yeah, it's fun to watch them score 45 a game, but it helps their team a lot more if they score 28, but hold the ball for 35-40 minutes.

Hence the Edge is leading the league w/ 801 yards through 7 games.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:03 PM)
Honestly, you act as if Brady is leading a dynamic offense. That team could win with almost any starting QB in the league minus Kurt Warner and whoever's starting for Miami these days. I think even Orton could manage the Pats.

:huh:

First off, I agree that Peyton Manning is by far the best QB in the game. He has the smarts to supplement his immense amount of skill at the position.

However, when it comes to straight up smarts out of the QB slot, Tom Brady is a genius. Do you watch much football? Who makes better decisions that that guy? Who makes less errors?

Say all you want about how good their defense and special teams have been. Ultimately, if you don't have a hall of fame caliber field general, you're not going to win 3 championships in 4 years! I agree that Manning would have multiple rings if he were a member of the Patriots, but to say that the vast majority of starting QBs in this league can just step in and there wouldn't be much of a difference is just insanely retarded. In most NFL circles, you'd be branded a bonehead for life.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 05:39 PM)
:huh:

First off, I agree that Peyton Manning is by far the best QB in the game.  He has the smarts to supplement his immense amount of skill at the position.

However, when it comes to straight up smarts out of the QB slot, Tom Brady is a genius.  Do you watch much football?  Who makes better decisions that that guy?  Who makes less errors?

Say all you want about how good their defense and special teams have been.  Ultimately, if you don't have a hall of fame caliber field general, you're not going to win 3 championships in 4 years!  I agree that Manning would have multiple rings if he were a member of the Patriots, but to say that the vast majority of starting QBs in this league can just step in and there wouldn't be much of a difference is just insanely retarded.  In most NFL circles, you'd be branded a bonehead for life.

Hammer, I got a question for you

Forgetting everything Brady has accomplished for 1 second, and putting him in a different system - is he starting somewhere with similar success?

From everything I've seen of Brady, he's a good QB in the sense that he is smart with the ball, makes good throws, makes accurate throws, and is a hell of a leader on the field. He is also a money QB in that he makes the plays when he needs to, thus making him a great QB. But I also view him as a system quarterback...not really a huge knock against him, because he continues to win and put up great numbers, he's earning a good paycheck because of it, and because it's not a system that you can plug any QB into and see success right away or down the line. I just don't think he'd be near as successful anywhere else.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 03:00 AM)
Hammer, I got a question for you

Forgetting everything Brady has accomplished for 1 second, and putting him in a different system - is he starting somewhere with similar success?

From everything I've seen of Brady, he's a good QB in the sense that he is smart with the ball, makes good throws, makes accurate throws, and is a hell of a leader on the field.  He is also a money QB in that he makes the plays when he needs to, thus making him a great QB.  But I also view him as a system quarterback...not really a huge knock against him, because he continues to win and put up great numbers, he's earning a good paycheck because of it, and because it's not a system that you can plug any QB into and see success right away or down the line.  I just don't think he'd be near as successful anywhere else.

Way to absolutely contradict yourself. He's smart, makes good throws, is a great leader, comes through in the clutch...BUT HE WOULD NEVER SUCCEED ANYWHERE ELSE. What do you think being a good quarterback is, throwing 70 times a game and having a cannon for an arm? That's really worked out for Brett Favre lately, eh? In the words of Herman Edwards, you play to win the games. The QB's job is to make sure that his team wins games. Brady does what he needs to do.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
Way to absolutely contradict yourself.  He's smart, makes good throws, is a great leader, comes through in the clutch...BUT HE WOULD NEVER SUCCEED ANYWHERE ELSE.  What do you think being a good quarterback is, throwing 70 times a game and having a cannon for an arm?  That's really worked out for Brett Favre lately, eh?  In the words of Herman Edwards, you play to win the games.  The QB's job is to make sure that his team wins games.  Brady does what he needs to do.

So how much of that is a benefactor of being in a good system?

You're gonna have a hell of a time convincing me that he'd do just as well in Buffalo or Detroit or Atlanta, or multiple other teams.

I'm not saying he isn't good...I'm saying he's overrated due to being a system QB.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 12:01 AM)
So how much of that is a benefactor of being in a good system?

You're gonna have a hell of a time convincing me that he'd do just as well in Buffalo or Detroit or Atlanta, or multiple other teams.

I'm not saying he isn't good...I'm saying he's overrated due to being a system QB.

Explain to me what a system QB is.

I got the Colts in this one, if they can't do it with how the Patriots are playing (and are injured) right now, Manning might never do it. I'm thinking something along the lines of INDY 31 - NE 24 with IND jumping out early and NE coming back in the 4th to make things nervous.

About the Brady debate, if Brady is a system QB and NE has the perfect system for Brady and that system has won 3 SBs, umm... there's not that much left to argue about. Joe Montana was a system (West Coast offense) QB. Terry Bradshaw was a system QB (use the running game until the defense allows you to go for a bomb over the top). I'm pretty sure Montana, Bradshaw, Brady are not brilliant unfathomable athletes like Vick or brilliant strategy geniuses like Manning. All three are great competitors, great generals on the field and know exactly what they need to do for their teams to win and all three (along quite probably with Vick and P.Manning) are HoFers.

QUOTE(gettysburg32 @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
I got the Colts in this one, if they can't do it with how the Patriots are playing (and are injured) right now, Manning might never do it.  I'm thinking something along the lines of INDY 31 - NE 24 with IND jumping out early and NE coming back in the 4th to make things nervous. 

About the Brady debate, if Brady is a system QB and NE has the perfect system for Brady and that system has won 3 SBs, umm... there's not that much left to argue about.  Joe Montana was a system (West Coast offense) QB.  Terry Bradshaw was a system QB (use the running game until the defense allows you to go for a bomb over the top).  I'm pretty sure Montana, Bradshaw, Brady are not brilliant unfathomable athletes like Vick or brilliant strategy geniuses like Manning.  All three are great competitors, great generals on the field and know exactly what they need to do for their teams to win and all three (along quite probably with Vick and P.Manning) are HoFers.

agree with everything you said EXCEPT for Vick being HOF bound. It's very early to make a judgment on the guy, but he is very far from being a HOFer right now.

That being said, I'm going with the Pats tonight only because the Colts have to prove they can beat the Pats anywhere... but especially in Foxboro. Hoping for a hell of a football game tonight.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation...tion12889=52809

1) Which team will win on Monday?

36.9% Patriots win a close game

36.7% Colts win a close game

23.5% Colts win easily

3.0% Patriots win easily

2) Is this the biggest game of the NFL regular season?

69.3% Yes

30.7% No

3) Do you plan on watching Monday Night Football this week?

52.0% Yes

43.5% Yes, but I usually do anyway.

4.6% No

4) Do you expect these teams to meet again in the AFC title game?

62.0% No

38.0% Yes

5) Does this game matter more to one team?

40.6% Colts -- They need to get over the mental hurdle at Gillette.

31.4% It means equally much to both teams.

27.9% Patriots -- They're 4-3 and can't afford a home loss.

6) What has been the biggest cause of New England's slow (by their standards) start?

52.9% Injuries to the secondary

24.9% Adjusting to life without Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel

11.4% Play of the offensive line and Corey Dillon (team 28th in rushing)

10.9% Other teams are just getting better

7) The Colts rank fourth in yards-per-game allowed and first in points-per-game allowed, but just one opponent currently ranks in the top half of NFL offenses. How good is Indianapolis' defense?

56.3% Very good, but a notch below elite

21.1% One of the best

19.9% Just average

2.6% No better than last season

8) Which team has a better offense?

86.0% Indianapolis Colts

14.0% New England Patriots

9) Which team has a better defense?

68.7% Indianapolis Colts

31.3% New England Patriots

10) Which team has the edge on special teams?

70.1% New England Patriots

29.9% Indianapolis Colts

11) Which team has the coaching edge?

80.0% New England Patriots

20.0% Indianapolis Colts

12) Which quarterback would you rather have on your team?

51.0% Peyton Manning

49.0% Tom Brady

Total Votes: 45,754

QUOTE(Spiff @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
Explain to me what a system QB is.

A guy who is successful more because of the offensive scheme his team runs, and less because of pure physical talent.

Jeff Garcia was a winning QB in San Francisco under Steve Mariucci. In Cleveland, he was awful. The difference between the two was the offensive schemes. He's been mediocre this year I'd assume simply due to age.

If you're willing to call Tom Brady a great QB because he makes smart throws, is accurate, is clutch, and is a good leader on the field, you have to ready to call Ben Roethlisberger a great QB too.

Oh, and you still haven't answered whether or not you believe Brady would be successful in any other spot. I'm sure he would be...but I don't think he would be nearly as successful in many spots. I do not feel the same about Peyton Manning.