Deadline for Konerko

CWSGuy406

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 01:57 AM)
It's not a direct quote from Kenny but Dave van Dyck is saying that Kenny said those guys would be the two options for center field.

Which now means that KW and Ozzie have both mentioned Owens' name, as well as Anderson's. Seems pretty clear to me what they are thinking for CF in 2006.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
What's the deadline for when the Sox and PK have to cut off discussions until May?

December 7th

Important Dates

December 7, 2005

Last date for former club of player who declared free agency under Article XX B to offer salary arbitration. If Club does not offer, then it loses all rights to negotiate with and sign the free agent until May 1 of the next season.

Edited by SoxPride56

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 12:13 PM)
December 7th

Important Dates

December 7, 2005

Last date for former club of player who declared free agency under Article XX B to offer salary arbitration. If Club does not offer, then it loses all rights to negotiate with and sign the free agent until May 1 of the next season.

That doesn't mean he has to be signed by then that just means we have to offer him arbitration by then if not signed already.

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 10:13 AM)
December 7th

Important Dates

December 7, 2005

The Sox will offer Paul salary arbitration, so they will be able to continue to negotiate with him.

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 10:18 AM)
only til jan 8th

If KW doesn't get the Konerko deal done well before Jan 8th either someone made PK an offer we weren't going to match or KW has just lost his mind.

The time after the Konerko signing should be spent doing some combo of sitting down with a few agents to avoid arbitration with people and exploring wierd, exotic deals of the sort that brought us AJ and Iguchi last year - guys nobody expected us to get until we got them.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
don't know if anyone's said this here already, but I think Mueller pretty much refuses to bat anywhere but 8th, anyway, he says he feels most comfortable there.

That is really odd. I can see if you were batting leadoff or cleanup, but 8th? How do you get comfortable with the 8th spot, and is it that much different than the 6th or 7th spot? He will bat where the manager feels he needs to bat.

I don't blame KW for setting a deadline for a decision from Konerko. Imagine losing him in let's say, February, with all other decent free agents already signed, and us trying to replace his numbers. I'll bet Kenny--and baseball insiders--already know what PK is looking at in terms of $$$. There are only so many ways he and Landis can examine and analyze. Time to get off the pot!

There also aren't that many teams looking to pick up Paulie for either financial reasons or not being a team need, so weighing options shouldn't be that complex.

I have to believe that every team that has interest in him has already made an offer so they too can look in other directions if it doesn't pan out for them. These Winter meetings should be very interesting.

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
That is really odd.  I can see if you were batting leadoff or cleanup, but 8th?  How do you get comfortable with the 8th spot, and is it that much different than the 6th or 7th spot?  He will bat where the manager feels he needs to bat.

I found it kind of stupid myself, but there seems so be something to it. when he won the batting title in 2003 he had his at-bats evenly split between 2, 7, and 8, and hit .400 8th. in 2004 he his .220 batting second, but .354 batting 8th. this past year, .263 batting 7th and .319 batting 8th. it's like he's a totally different hitter in that spot.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
There also aren't that many teams looking to pick up Paulie for either financial reasons or not being a team need, so weighing options shouldn't be that complex.

I have to believe that every team that has interest in him has already made an offer so they too can look in other directions if it doesn't pan out for them.  These Winter meetings should be very interesting.

True...obviously the only teams which have already been stated are:

1) Angels. They have alot of decisions to make...plus I'd imagine the want Kotchman to get alot more ABs this year. Are they waiting for the Red Sox to get their s*** together in terms of a GM to work out the Manny deal (which seems to me is what's happening)? Plus...I can't see them shelling out 5 years at $12M+ for Paulie.

2) The Red Sox. Again...waiting on the GM deal and Manny. But I can't see PK evening thinking about it.

3) Dodgers. I REALLY can't see PK heading back there...but stranger things have happened.

Is there a sleeper team in the mix? Oakland? San Diego? Texas? (Remember that Teixeira was originally a 3B...so it's not out of the question to sign PK and move Teix back over to 3rd and move Blalock). I think everybody's just waiting to see what deals are made before committing anything.

btw...can you believe the Jays shelled out that kind of jack for Ryan?!?

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
True...obviously the only teams which have already been stated are:

1) Angels.  They have alot of decisions to make...plus I'd imagine the want Kotchman to get alot more ABs this year.  Are they waiting for the Red Sox to get their s*** together in terms of a GM to work out the Manny deal (which seems to me is what's happening)?  Plus...I can't see them shelling out 5 years at $12M+ for Paulie.

2) The Red Sox.  Again...waiting on the GM deal and Manny.  But I can't see PK evening thinking about it.

3) Dodgers.  I REALLY can't see PK heading back there...but stranger things have happened.

Is there a sleeper team in the mix?  Oakland?  San Diego? Texas? (Remember that Teixeira was originally a 3B...so it's not out of the question to sign PK and move Teix back over to 3rd and move Blalock).  I think everybody's just waiting to see what deals are made before committing anything.

btw...can you believe the Jays shelled out that kind of jack for Ryan?!?

I would have to think Anaheim is probably the main team pursuing Konerko right now, aside from the Sox, and they are probably the front runner for Manny too, and while they have a lot of money to spend, no way can they afford to spend rougly $35 million on 2 players in one offseason.

No way the Red Sox are interested in him, no matter what they say. They still have to upgrade their bullpen even with the addition of Mota, they have a hole in CF to address as well, along with less money to make such moves, adding Lowell(9 mill) and Mota(approximately 3 mill) to the mix.

I have to figure if Manny goes to Anaheim...which I figure he will...Konerko is almost a lock to return to Chicago.

Having Konerko and Thome (and possibly Dye) all back to back for the next at least 2 to 3 years is making my mouth droul. See the difference is we had sluggers in our lineup before but they were never surrounded by speed, defense, and pitching. We had a supporting cast of Olivo/Alomar Jr, Valentine, Alomar Robbie, Everett, Caruso, Singleton, Durham, etc. Now we have even better 3 4 5 punch in Konerko (I hope) Thome and Dye who all are very good OBP guys and can hit for high AVG as well. This potential lineup really excites me, especially becuase the pitching is till intact.