Stones at the Superbowl

BigEdWalsh

I find this weird and kinda sad that the Rolling Stones have been reduced to this. I guess I'm just too old. Could you imagine the Rolling Stones doing this in 1969. What's next? The Copa? What are they gonna perform? Street Fighting Man...Gimme Shelter?

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 11:23 AM)
I find this weird and kinda sad that the Rolling Stones have been reduced to this. I guess I'm just too old. Could you imagine the Rolling Stones doing this in 1969. What's next? The Copa? What are they gonna perform? Street Fighting Man...Gimme Shelter?

Yeah,some people were think that when Paul McCartney did the halftime show last year.

Geez,guess "Up With People" wasn't available.They were in Super Bowl XX when the Bears were in it.

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)

REDUCED to this? It's only the biggest stage on the planet in terms of viewership.

I saw the Rolling Stones on tour this past fall at Soldier Field, let me tell you this: they have NOT been reduced to nothing. This isnt a band that has been on the State Fair circuit that has some name recognition. The Stones still sell out and put on a great show.

Also, I think Ashley Simpsons performance at the sugarbowl and the subsequent reaction to her performance(if you dont remember, think of the entire Superdome booing her) has scared the people who produce the Superbowl away from contemporary acts. They are just using oldies but goodies because they cant go wrong.

Chubby Checker in 1985, anyone?

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)
Also, I think Ashley Simpsons performance at the sugarbowl and the subsequent reaction to her performance(if you dont remember, think of the entire Superdome booing her) has scared the people who produce the Superbowl away from contemporary acts.  They are just using oldies but goodies because they cant go wrong.

:lolhitting

Oh,yeah!Ashlee getting booed was classic!!!!

BTW:That was at the Orange Bowl.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
I saw the Rolling Stones on tour this past fall at Soldier Field, let me tell you this:  they have NOT been reduced to nothing.  This isnt a band that has been on the State Fair circuit that has some name recognition.  The Stones still sell out and put on a great show. 

Also, I think Ashley Simpsons performance at the sugarbowl and the subsequent reaction to her performance(if you dont remember, think of the entire Superdome booing her) has scared the people who produce the Superbowl away from contemporary acts.  They are just using oldies but goodies because they cant go wrong.

You may think I'm a boob, but Janet Jackson may have something to do with them being cautious.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
REDUCED to this?  It's only the biggest stage on the planet in terms of viewership.

I mean reduced to this in terms of what it means to be The Rolling Stones. Years and years ago, they'd have scoffed at doing something like a football halftime show. Going to see the Stones many years ago was an event of the so-called counter-culture. Now they're playing the Superbowl. It's just kinda weird. But then, I've always been kinda stuck in the past.

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
I mean reduced to this in terms of what it means to be The Rolling Stones. Years and years ago, they'd have scoffed at doing something like a football halftime show. Going to see the Stones many years ago was an event of the so-called counter-culture. Now they're playing the Superbowl. It's just kinda weird. But then, I've always been kinda stuck in the past.

Ah. Gotcha.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
You may think I'm a boob, but Janet Jackson may have something to do with them being cautious.

I think you are a boob. ;)

But in reality you are correct. The music that kids listen to nowadays isnt as PC as older acts, making the older acts a better(and safer) choice.

It's nice to see the NFL trying to connect to the next generation of potential football fans. I mean, c'mon, no matter how they sound, it's time to find an act that'll actually sell cross-generations. The Stones aren't revered by the kids as maybe a U2 would be. And I'm no fan of U2.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 09:28 AM)
It's nice to see the NFL trying to connect to the next generation of potential football fans.  I mean, c'mon, no matter how they sound, it's time to find an act that'll actually sell cross-generations.  The Stones aren't revered by the kids as maybe a U2 would be.  And I'm no fan of U2.

They had U2 in 2002, right after 9/11. And you have to admit, if any band works playing in front of a list of 9/11 casualties, it's U2.

And sadly, they can't just book U2 every year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)
They had U2 in 2002, right after 9/11.  And you have to admit, if any band works playing in front of a list of 9/11 casualties, it's U2.

And sadly, they can't just book U2 every year.

I knew that, I just couldn't think of another band off the top of my head that would connect as well multi-generationally.

Booking the Stones makes it seem like there are a bunch of stodgy old men in a room saying, "Them Rolling Stones seem like good enough kids, let's use them."

Maybe a band like the Foo Fighters or Black Eyed Peas would work better? I have no idea, but putting McCartney and Jagger back to back just looks bad.

Actually, I want them to replay the N'Sync-Aerosmith thing with Ben Stiller from a few years ago.

"That N'Sucked!!!"

"I got it, N'Syncosmith. HOw about Aerosync?"

Maybe a band like the Foo Fighters or Black Eyed Peas would work better? I have no idea, but putting McCartney and Jagger back to back just looks bad.

No offense meant to the Hip Hop fanbase here...

I think they are going to try to avoid the Hip Hop/Rap genre a bit. I know I have heard many people complain that it really does not fit with much of the fanbase. I think a band like The Stones are lengendary enough that nobody will be "offended" by them, and many will enjoy them. They also defy a "style" really, they just play straight up RnR. But using a Hip Hop group would make as much sense as booking Slayer or some extreme Metal outfit. It's too genre specific.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)
No offense meant to the Hip Hop fanbase here...

I think they are going to try to avoid the Hip Hop/Rap genre a bit. I know I have heard many people complain that it really does not fit with much of the fanbase. I think a band like The Stones are lengendary enough that nobody will be "offended" by them, and many will enjoy them. They also defy a "style" really, they just play straight up RnR. But using a Hip Hop group would make as much sense as booking Slayer or some extreme Metal outfit. It's too genre specific.

That's why I didn't say 50 Cent or Eminem or Lil Jon or someone like that. I'm talking about pure crossover. Black Eyed Peas and Kanye West would be perfect and make it younger.

Yes, the Stones are pure RnR...but to a kid watching the Super Bowl, I don't think they will connect. That's why they need to get younger. Even the N'Sync and Aerosmith thing that I was kidding about before had the IDEA of cross generational music, whether you like them or not.

I'm just saying the NFL can take a little more of a chance than going with the Stones. How about Alicia Keys or Fall Out Boy. Or even better, let's really get people going with some Mylo or Paul Van Dyk. They can pass out E, water and glow sticks.halfway thru the 2nd quarter.