Jon Garland

GreatScott82

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They didn't say the #s however he is expected to get 7.5 mill this season in avoiding arbatration. I'm guessing he wants to test the free agent market after the '06 season. If I find out the #s i'll let you know. Hopefully KW isn't done negotiating. Jon G is a HUGE piece to our puzzle.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
They didn't say the #s however he is expected to get 7.5 mill this season in avoiding arbatration. I'm guessing he wants to test the free agent market after the '06 season. If I find out the #s i'll let you know. Hopefully KW isn't done negotiating. Jon G is a HUGE piece to our puzzle.

He will not get 7.5 in arbitration, Bruce pulled that number out of his ass.

Carmy and Silvy just said negoitations are off. He will go to arbitration and expect a large chunck of change for the '06 season. He will test the market after the season. This is good news and bad news for us. The good news is Jon G. will pitch his heart out for another season. The bad news is- this might be his final season in a Sox uniform.

Other starters:

Buerhle signed through '07, Garcia signed through '07, This is El-duque and Contreras' last year of there contracts also. Yikes! Lets enjoy the ride at least one more time with this pitching staff.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
Carmy and Silvy just said negoitations are off. He will go to arbitration and expect a large chunck of change for the '06 season. He will test the market after the season. This is good news and bad news for us. The good news is Jon G. will pitch his heart out for another season. The bad news is- this might be his final season in a Sox uniform.

Other starters:

Buerhle signed through '07, Garcia signed through '07, This is El-duque and Contreras' last year of there contracts also. Yikes! Lets enjoy the ride at least one more time with this pitching staff.

They're just speculating. They know as much as we do right now.

Oh well, if he leaves after '06, he leaves after '06.

If he really wants a good contract from someone, he'll have to be really good next year because (I think) the FA market is pretty stocked for that offseason. If he does well, he's already helped us by being a good pitcher. And if he leaves, as I already said, it's a deeper FA pool and it would be easier to find a replacement than it would be now.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
It makes sense though.  Why would Garland want to sign a cheap 3 year extension now when he could just wait a year and break the bank for a huge deal like B.J. Ryan and Billy Wagner?

It's still all speculation, we have no clue what's going on in the negotiation process, kind of like when everyone freaked out over Tad last year and not offering right away what he was looking for..it's negotiating. They say he'll go to arbitration which I'm still almost positive won't happen, at worse they'll give him a 1 year deal.

It's still all speculation, we have no clue what's going on in the negotiation process, kind of like when everyone freaked out over Tad last year and not offering right away what he was looking for..it's negotiating.  They say he'll go to arbitration which I'm still almost positive won't happen, at worse they'll give him a 1 year deal.

And if the Sox give Garland a 1 year deal, he will still be a free agent after next season so what's the difference? :)

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:43 AM)
And if the Sox give Garland a 1 year deal, he will still be a free agent after next season so what's the difference?  :)

I'm just saying silvy and carmen are just throwing things out there, they don't know what's going on anymore then we do. I think it's just kind of crazy to assume to say Garland is gone because he turned down an initial offer.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 09:39 AM)
It makes sense though.  Why would Garland want to sign a cheap 3 year extension now when he could just wait a year and break the bank for a huge deal like B.J. Ryan and Billy Wagner?

2 reasons.

1...he'll get money sooner. In Arbitration this year he'd probably get a fairly small increase over what he got last year, so if he signed a 3 year deal now, he'd get a bigger chunk of money sooner.

2...risk. He's being offered a big contract extension now...what happens if he pulls a Loaiza next year and his performance falls off dramatically, or worse yet if he gets hurt? You lock that deal up now and you're guaranteed the money even if things don't go well.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:43 AM)
Can someone list the major FA's??

Here are the starting pitchers:

RHSP:

Paul Wilson (Team Option)

Wade Miller

Jon Garland

Tomo Ohka

Gil Meche

Greg Maddux

Jason Schmidt

Jeff Suppan

Rick Helling

Brad Radke

Kerry Wood (Mutual Option)

Mike Mussina (Team Option)

Cory Lidle

Kelvim Escobar

Joel Piniero arb?

Chan Ho Park

Jose Contreras

Ryan Franklin

Orlando Hernandez

Jaret Wright (Team + Player Void options)

Kip Wells

Jason Marquis

Vicente Padilla

Adam Eaton

Tim Wakefield (Annual Team Renew Option)

LHSP:

Ted Lilly

Mark Redman

Andy Pettitte

Mark Mulder

Barry Zito

Doug Davis

Randy Wolf

Mark Buerhle (Team Option)

David Wells

Wilson Alvarez (Retired)

Darrell May

Eric Milton (Void Option)

I'm just saying silvy and carmen are just throwing things out there, they don't know what's going on anymore then we do.  I think it's just kind of crazy to assume to say Garland is gone because he turned down an initial offer.

There's no way he will be gone due to arbitration. At the very least, Garland will be back on a one year deal like you stated. Unfortunately, that's what I see happening. I think Garland thinks he can repeat his 2005 season and get a crazy contract next offseason.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
I know C. Lee, Jon G., Jose Contreras, J. Dye, El-duque, Iguchi, and Pierzynski will be on that list from the Sox. Unless KW locks them up before hand.

Dye and Tad both have options...they'll both be back. Since when did we get Carlos back?

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
There's no way he will be gone due to arbitration.  At the very least, Garland will be back on a one year deal like you stated.  Unfortunately, that's what I see happening.  I think Garland thinks he can repeat his 2005 season and get a crazy contract next offseason.

I was talking about gone after 06. Just because someone turns down the first offer a team makes doesn't mean they're bolting.