Jon Garland

GreatScott82

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 02:32 AM)
You base a large protion of your argument that prior to '05 Garland would only win 12 games per year and was 5 games under .500.  Then,  in a previous post you say, "(especially if you throw out wins, since that is highly dependent on other factors)" thereby discounting wins as a relevent stat.  Also, more of those in disagreement have said that Jon would have to have a similar year in '06 to what happened in '05 if he was going to be a $10M per pitcher.  You argue your point by saying, "The difference is going to be whether he has another 18 win 3.50 ERA year or if he puts up something like 14 wins with a 4.10 ERA. That's going to be what determines whether or not he makes more than $10 mil, not his age, what guys have gotten the last couple of years, or how badly the Yankees or Red Sox need pitching."

How did I base a "large portion" of my argument on Garland's win totals? I only mentioned it in one of my several posts. I also mentioned it with his rather nasty career ERA every time I used wins, which is a bigger issue. The bulk of my argument was that he hasn't done too well most of his career, not that he doesn't put up good win totals. How am I supposed to quantify anything without using stats? Using terms like "mediocre", "decent", "solid", or "good" don't exactly help much, it's easier if I use numbers. Plus I only mentioned it because people seem to put value in that stat, although I personally don't. The half-run plus difference between the two is a bigger issue than the 4 win difference in my book, although I decided to put in both in to clarify.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 12:37 AM)
It looks like this will be Jon G's final season with the Champs.

I call you on this. This does not mean it will be his final season with the champs. Too much can h appen either way with him.

he could win 17-20 again; he could suck.

I hope he's a Sox a long time.

either way, jon will be gone.....if he wins 17-20, he will get a 10mil offer. if he does go back to sucking again, we won't want him back....lets just hope he dosnt suck and we repeat, maybe broadway will be ready by 2007.

I'd like to lock him up to a 3 year extension. I'd be willing to pay upwards to 9 mil a year. At worst, Garland is league average. A glance at the market tells you that old, league average pitchers are going for 7 mil a year right now (see Loiaza & Byrd). I'm willing to take a risk on Garland that his 05 production is a sign of things to come and give him that much money. If he does revert to his old form, he will still be putting up league average #s and he will still be paid fair market value.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
I'm just saying silvy and carmen are just throwing things out there, they don't know what's going on anymore then we do. 

Are you saying that people who have a budget, resources, and time to research contacts and develop relationships within the organization know the same as you do? Where do you get your information?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 11:46 PM)
Are you saying that people who have a budget, resources, and time to research contacts and develop relationships within the organization know the same as you do? Where do you get your information?

Yes Tex, cause they're in the middle of the negotiation process. They heard something from the ever so reliant Bruce Levine and started speculating and that's all they were doing was throwing numbers out there and speculating. Anyone here can throw out numbers and speculate as well, when this was being talked about on the show it was the first they heard of it and they just went on to talk about it, nothing more.