PET OWNERS! HELP!

kapkomet

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
Experienced pet owner here... on the ankle is unrealistic. They would chew it off. And an un-necessary implant I don't agree with either. Collar is best.

Steff said it...and so it is! :P

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chip is usually implanted by the breader/pet store/adoption agency (humane society...) before you even get the pet. I know the humane societies around here all have it done before you get the pet. A lot of breeders are even requiring it because they want their animals to end up in good homes and not lost somewhere. Therefore you don't have to take the pet to the vet at all to have it done. It is already done for you in a lot of cases. It is becoming more and more common. In a few suburbs if your pet is lost and the animal control department finds it they will have a chip implanted as well. I don't know if you guys think this is some big procedure or something, but it is basically just a shot. It is not some surgical procedure. It is the size of a piece of uncooked rice. It is a permanent radio-frequency identification chip implanted under the dog's skin and read by a chip scanner or wand. Implantation is done with an injector that places the chip under the loose skin over the dog's shoulder. It is also not expensive, usually only 50-60 dollars. About the same or a little more than the cost of yearly shot visits, at least for me anyway.

Steff, you can't make it out of a non-chewable substance for the ankle/leg brace? I find that hard to believe. I am sure it can be done. If not then put something on it that makes it unappealing for the animal to chew it. Bitter Apple has worked great for my dog, but I know other dogs will still chew it. There is a way to keep them from chewing it is my point and not unrealistic at all.

I would never buy a collar with an implant because all of my pets have been able to lose their collar at one point or another. I want a break away collar for the reasons I stated earlier. I don't want them getting themselves hung on a tree or a fence or anything of that nature. I don't think a collar is worthwhile at all for a tracking device.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 10:02 AM)
Steff, you can't make it out of a non-chewable substance for the ankle/leg brace? I find that hard to believe. I am sure it can be done. If not then put something on it that makes it unappealing for the animal to chew it. Bitter Apple has worked great for my dog, but I know other dogs will still chew it. There is a way to keep them from chewing it is my point and not unrealistic at all.

I've owned pets all my life. They chew. It's what they do. Maybe you have the time to follow your dog around 24/7 and spray bitter apple or whatever on what you don't want him chewing on.. but most owners don't.

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 04:10 PM)
I've owned pets all my life. They chew. It's what they do. Maybe you have the time to follow your dog around 24/7 and spray bitter apple or whatever on what you don't want him chewing on.. but most owners don't.

Ha ha!!!! Steff you are so funny. When did I say spray it on everything? Spray it on the leg/ankle brace that you are so sure will get chewed off or have the product pre-coated with such a substance. What you are insinuating is a ridiculous scenario when I am not even talking about everything around the house, but just the ankle/leg brace that I brought up.

Plus you are saying that there is not any substance out there that a pet can not chew through? Come one now. There has to be something.

The idea of it is very realistic.

The microchip is just like a barcode for pets. Implanting something in a pet that could allow for nationwide tracking wouldn't quite be trivial. I imagine there would be significant power requirements and where would you put the antenna?

We use the microchip in all our dogs. I never realized how small they were until I saw one. It's basically a grain of rice and now you can prove that your dog is yours should it get lost and someone claim it.

The ankle thing is unrealistic not because the dog would chew it but simply because it would never stay on! Take a good look at any dogs legs/feet. Unless the thing was tight enough to cut off circulation, it would simply slide right off.

I also agree that a collar isn't the best idea in the world. As I said before, I've gone through a handful already because they always break.

The implated chip is a requirement before adopting a pet at our local humane society. If they could possibly combine this ideas and make a transmitter that can be implanted like the chip that would be great.

I just don't know if they can make the electronics of a transmitter that small yet...

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
The microchip is just like a barcode for pets. Implanting something in a pet that could allow for nationwide tracking wouldn't quite be trivial. I imagine there would be significant power requirements and where would you put the antenna?

We use the microchip in all our dogs. I never realized how small they were until I saw one. It's basically a grain of rice and now you can prove that your dog is yours should it get lost and someone claim it.

Well the tracking chip is already being done in humans in Mexico and Japan. The chip is the same size. I don't know specifics such as antennas, power requirements or cost.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
The ankle thing is unrealistic not because the dog would chew it but simply because it would never stay on! Take a good look at any dogs legs/feet. Unless the thing was tight enough to cut off circulation, it would simply slide right off.

I also agree that a collar isn't the best idea in the world. As I said before, I've gone through a handful already because they always break.

The implated chip is a requirement before adopting a pet at our local humane society. If they could possibly combine this ideas and make a transmitter that can be implanted like the chip that would be great.

I just don't know if they can make the electronics of a transmitter that small yet...

Huh? The pet's front legs get narrower as it goes down and then you have a paw to stop it from going any further. It doesn't have to be too tight or too loose. It will never slide off.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 11:07 PM)
I live in the burbs and I love rottys. They are sweet dogs. Unfortunately some assholed tend to buy them for the wrong reasons and raise them wrong, but that is no the norm. I would definitely not be screaming or scurring and hiding in my own mini van. I am the proud owner of a boxer. I love all dogs, but the boxer breed is my absolute favorite. I will never own another breed again.

LOVE boxers, that is going to be my next pet purchase for sure. LOVE rottys though, even though neighbors hate it, they are big loyal teddy bears.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
LOVE boxers, that is going to be my next pet purchase for sure.  LOVE rottys though, even though neighbors hate it, they are big loyal teddy bears.

We almost bought a boxer. Totally fell in love with them. My uncle had a rott.. way loyal, but way too many health issues as he aged. It was very sad watching him get old.

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
So you want to compare tracking devices in humans to tracking devices on animals..?  :wacko:

Why not compare them? They are exactly the same thing. The concept of the human tracking device was borrowed directly from the pet tracking system only the human tracking chip can tell a lot more information, specifically where that person is at any given moment.

Isn't there testing done all the time on rats and other animals to see how it will affect humans? Someone here is a wacko alright. Steff, is it too early in the mornnig for you? Do you not have your thinking cap on yet?

I am not comparing that one is right and the other is wrong. I amnot comparing the morality of it or privacy issues with it. I am simply stating that the concept and technology is there and it is in use.

:whip

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
Huh? The pet's front legs get narrower as it goes down and then you have a paw to stop it from going any further. It doesn't have to be too tight or too loose. It will never slide off.

SSI,

The onyl issue is that the walking/running motion would make the ankle device move up and down with steps and possibly irritate/rub off skin and fur on the area. Not only that, but the additional weight on the ankle could cause a change in gait which could possibly cause joint problems down the road, or even aggrevate dysplasia. Dogs are too prone to chewing on their limbs, and they move too much to make this a worth white idea. The collar is already an accepted part of their routine and would be the easiest way to incorporate the device into their lives.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
LOVE boxers, that is going to be my next pet purchase for sure.  LOVE rottys though, even though neighbors hate it, they are big loyal teddy bears.

Rottys are without a doubt great and sweet dogs. I used to work at a vet when I was younger and I used to have to bathe the dogs. The Rottys were so sweet and gentle and would allow me to pick them up and put them in the tub. They wouldn't run away from the water. They would just sit there and allow me to wash them. They are awesome dogs. However, Boxers are my favorite. I can't ever imagine loving another breed like this one.

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
We almost bought a boxer. Totally fell in love with them. My uncle had a rott.. way loyal, but way too many health issues as he aged. It was very sad watching him get old.

Yeah, thats a serious issue with both breeds, they dont live extremely long either. Mine is not purebred so he may have other things going for him, but at 5 years old you can already see some wear and tear on his joints etc. Great dog however, extremely loyal and protective. Im definatley doing to look at boxers and labs though for my next pet, I like them both alot.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
SSI,

The onyl issue is that the walking/running motion would make the ankle device move up and down with steps and possibly irritate/rub off skin and fur on the area.  Not only that, but the additional weight on the ankle could cause a change in gait which could possibly cause joint problems down the road, or even aggrevate dysplasia.  Dogs are too prone to chewing on their limbs, and they move too much to make this a worth white idea.  The collar is already an accepted part of their routine and would be the easiest way to incorporate the device into their lives.

The collar is not an already accepted part of their routine when you first get them to wear one. Some of them really react badly to them. Scratching it all the time. Jumping around when you put it on. Trying anything to get it off. It just becomes routine and habit if you leave it on them.

As far as the additional weight, it doesn't have to be a big thing or made out of some heavy material. It could be thin as well so it would not be moving up and down the leg very much.

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)
Oh.. my thinking cap is on. So is my common sense cap, logic cap, experience cap, and don't s*** on others opinions cap.

I honestly don't think it is. You usually have better comments than this. I never once s*** on anyone elses opinion if you are referring to me with that comment. I s*** on yours as much as you have s*** on mine. If you want to go back and check out the thread and point out to me where I did anymore than you did then please do. I never called you a name, especially not a wacko. That much is for sure.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
I honestly don't think it is. You usually have better comments than this. I never once s*** on anyone elses opinion if you are referring to me with that comment. I s*** on yours as much as you have s*** on mine. If you want to go back and check out the thread and point out to me where I did anymore than you did then please do. I never called you a name, especially not a wacko. That much is for sure.

It's my opinion, and others as well aparently, that it's unrealistic. Why can't you just leave it at that...?

Damn. :banghead