PET OWNERS! HELP!

kapkomet

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 10:42 AM)
The collar is not an already accepted part of their routine when you first get them to wear one. Some of them really react badly to them. Scratching it all the time. Jumping around when you put it on. Trying anything to get it off. It just becomes routine and habit if you leave it on them.

As far as the additional weight, it doesn't have to be a big thing or made out of some heavy material. It could be thin as well so it would not be moving up and down the leg very much.

Thats the thing though. Compare their neck with something that has extreme amounts of movement like their legs. The bracelet will slide up and down and up and down constantly with their movement and running. The collar sits in a place where it is fairly stationary. Its just not practical, it COULD be done, but it is not as viable of an option as a collar-based system.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
It's my opinion, and others as well aparently,  that it's unrealistic. Why can't you just leave it at that...?

Damn.  :banghead

Because it is not unrealistic and I have given information as how it is realistic. It is a discussion and in a way a debate. If you are saying it is unrealistic then I should have a chance to show you how it IS realistic. I have done so. Your side is not always right Steff. You seem to always have an issue with that.

:headshake

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
Huh? The pet's front legs get narrower as it goes down and then you have a paw to stop it from going any further. It doesn't have to be too tight or too loose. It will never slide off.

From what I remember the paw is almost the same size as the leg. It's not like a human where your wrist is smaller than your hand...

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
Because it is not unrealistic and I have given information as how it is realistic. It is a discussion and in a way a debate. If you are saying it is unrealistic then I should have a chance to show you how it IS realistic. I have done so. Your side is not always right Steff. You seem to always have an issue with that.

:headshake

It's a opinion... it's right for me.

The end.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 04:46 PM)
Thats the thing though.  Compare their neck with something that has extreme amounts of movement like their legs.  The bracelet will slide up and down and up and down constantly with their movement and running.  The collar sits in a place where it is fairly stationary.  Its just not practical, it COULD be done, but it is not as viable of an option as a collar-based system.

Watch your dogs collar. It does as well. When it goes to pick something up, put its head down or lift it up. It also goes around in a circle. It never just sits in place. It can not be on the neck that tight to just sit in place. You could do the same thing with the ankle/leg brace. It doesn't have to be too tight or too loose. It doesn't and won't slide up and down the entire leg.

It is not as viable an option as a collar I agree, but it is a realistic option. I would not want that around my pets neck for reasons I have already stated and that does not make it a viable option for me.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
From what I remember the paw is almost the same size as the leg. It's not like a human where your wrist is smaller than your hand...

I am not sure about all dogs or most dogs, but the ones I have had the leg narrows and then the paw is bigger. I am not sure about smaller dogs.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 10:52 AM)
Watch your dogs collar. It does as well. When it goes to pick something up, put its head down or lift it up. It also goes around in a circle. It never just sits in place. It can not be on the neck that tight to just sit in place. You could do the same thing with the ankle/leg brace. It doesn't have to be too tight or too loose. It doesn't and won't slide up and down the entire leg.

It is not as viable an option as a collar I agree, but it is a realistic option. I would not want that around my pets neck for reasons I have already stated and that does not make it a viable option for me.

Yes, the collar move a tiny bit, but the neck area is boltered with lots of fur and the thickest amount of skin on the dog's body. The neck area is totally insulated from wear and tear from this excess skin. The leg, or ankle of a dog has the least amount of skin, especially the thickness. This would cause immediate wear and infection, which as you know, leads to licking and biting of said area. The build of a dog doesnt allow this solution to be a good option.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
Based on absolutely nothing with no room for any dicussion. Narrowminded. Now it's the end.

I gave my reasons why it is unrealistic for MY pets.

Narrowminded, and ignorant.. yes, you have been.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
Yes, the collar move a tiny bit, but the neck area is boltered with lots of fur and the thickest amount of skin on the dog's body.  The neck area is totally insulated from wear and tear from this excess skin.  The leg, or ankle of a dog has the least amount of skin, especially the thickness.  This would cause immediate wear and infection, which as you know, leads to licking and biting of said area.  The build of a dog doesnt allow this solution to be a good option.

Ok, good argument. I see your point and I agree with it.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)
I am not sure about all dogs or most dogs, but the ones I have had the leg narrows and then the paw is bigger. I am not sure about smaller dogs.

Sorry for the gross picture but it's what I found. IMO, the paw is not much bigger than the leg and any kind of "braclet" would have to be awful tight to stay on.

_1554236_dog150.jpg

2004-maddie2.jpg

end

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)
Sorry for the gross picture but it's what I found. IMO, the paw is not much bigger than the leg and any kind of "braclet" would have to be awful tight to stay on.

_1554236_dog150.jpg

2004-maddie2.jpg

end

I don't agree. I don't believe that this is a reason for this to be a bad idea. YOu can clearly see there is also a pad above the paw that will help stop this from moving down too low. I can't say how it would work on little dogs, but for larger or medium sized dogs it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Rock Raines did bring up a good point about the abrasiveness and the lighter fur and less skin around the leg area bringing infection. That is a good point that I agree would stop this from working. But the paw being the same size or almost the same size as the foot doesn't seem to be an issue.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 09:02 AM)
The chip is usually implanted by the breader/pet store/adoption agency (humane society...) before you even get the pet. I know the humane societies around here all have it done before you get the pet. A lot of breeders are even requiring it because they want their animals to end up in good homes and not lost somewhere. Therefore you don't have to take the pet to the vet at all to have it done. It is already done for you in a lot of cases. It is becoming more and more common. In a few suburbs if your pet is lost and the animal control department finds it they will have a chip implanted as well. I don't know if you guys think this is some big procedure or something, but it is basically just a shot. It is not some surgical procedure. It is the size of a piece of uncooked rice. It is a permanent radio-frequency identification chip implanted under the dog's skin and read by a chip scanner or wand. Implantation is done with an injector that places the chip under the loose skin over the dog's shoulder. It is also not expensive, usually only 50-60 dollars. About the same or a little more than the cost of yearly shot visits, at least for me anyway.

Steff, you can't make it out of a non-chewable substance for the ankle/leg brace? I find that hard to believe. I am sure it can be done. If not then put something on it that makes it unappealing for the animal to chew it. Bitter Apple has worked great for my dog, but I know other dogs will still chew it. There is a way to keep them from chewing it is my point and not unrealistic at all.

I would never buy a collar with an implant because all of my pets have been able to lose their collar at one point or another. I want a break away collar for the reasons I stated earlier. I don't want them getting themselves hung on a tree or a fence or anything of that nature. I don't think a collar is worthwhile at all for a tracking device.

Put bitter apple on your dog and it's me who'll be chewing on his ankle. Yum yum.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)

:crying What a horrible picture.. Poor puppy.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
Rock Raines did bring up a good point about the abrasiveness and the lighter fur and less skin around the leg area bringing infection. That is a good point that I agree would stop this from working. But the paw being the same size or almost the same size as the foot doesn't seem to be an issue.

Summation of argument.

Either way I think we are a few years from this solution as of right now.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
Summation of argument.

Either way I think we are a few years from this solution as of right now.

By the time they get this into general use I probably won't have a need for it. My dogs are almost 8 and both being pure-bred aren't expected to live much past 10 or 12 years old.

We probably won't be getting anymore afterwards either.

My cats have a microchip.

But they're also terrified of outside. And even if I leave the door open to run downstairs and check the mail (I live on a 2nd floor apt) they won't cross the door threshold.

It might be something for my parents to consider because they have a husky that's always pulling a runner. And the border collie will occassionally spaz out and run away, but usually she stays in the yard.

But if I moved to a bigger house or a ground floor apartment or someplace that it might be easier for the cats to escape I would consider it more seriously. I would be super sad if my little demon cats ran away. . .