Angels & Sox looking at Crawford

That funky motion

QUOTE(SouthSidein05 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 11:48 PM)
No they wouldn't, becuase they'll trade just about anyone on thier roster with the exception of BJ Upton, Delmon Young, and Scott Kazmir for pithing before they trade Carl Crawford.

And you know this how? If a team were to offer a slew of young, quality pitching for Carl Crawford, they would be silly not to take it.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 10:49 PM)
And you know this how?  If a team were to offer a slew of young, quality pitching for Carl Crawford, they would be silly not to take it.

Through Rational thinking.

Put yourself in the shoes of Tampa.

You can trade Aubrey Huff, Danys Baez, Joey Gathright, quite a few valuable players for solid arms. You cannot trade a player who has a chance of molding himself into Bobby Abreu for a pitcher in Brandon McCarthy. It's just preposterous. They have plenty of other trading chips, and those players are all dealt before Crawford.

QUOTE(SouthSidein05 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 11:52 PM)
Through Rational thinking.

Put yourself in the shoes of Tampa.

You can trade Aubrey Huff, Danys Baez, Joey Gathright, quite a few valuable players for solid arms.  You cannot trade a player who has a chance of molding himself into Bobby Abreu for a pitcher in Brandon McCarthy.  It's just preposterous.  They have plenty of other trading chips, and those players are all dealt before Crawford.

Tampa has Jonny Gomes, Delmon Young, Joey Gathright and Rocco Baldelli already in the outfield (I'm assuming Huff would be DHing). They have an abundance of outfielders which other teams would be interested in, and since Crawford is unhappy in Tampa, and likely would get the most in exchange, he would be the most obvious one to move.

Also, Bobby Abreu? Far from it. Once you start thinking along the lines of Alfonso Soriano, then you'll be on the right path. (Crawford has a whopping career .320 OBP, and has never had more than 35 walks in a season)

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
Tampa has Jonny Gomes, Delmon Young, Joey Gathright and Rocco Baldelli already in the outfield (I'm assuming Huff would be DHing).  They have an abundance of outfielders which other teams would be interested in, and since Crawford is unhappy in Tampa, and likely would get the most in exchange, he would be the most obvious one to move.

Wrong, they have Huff at 3B, Gomes at DH, and Crawford, Baldelli, andYoung in the OF.

Where did you har Crawford is unhappy in Tampa?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
BTW, Crawford isnt making the league minimum like you might think SoxSiden....

Carl Crawford: deal for 2005 season worth 370K was renewed on 3/11/05- + he could earn 20K in bonuses for reaching 500PA- + signed 4-year deal worth 15.25M on 4/1/05 that superceded deal for 2005 season- + he receives a 500K signing bonus and salaries of 500K in 2005, 2.5M in 2006, 4M in 2007, and 5.25M in 2008- + the deal includes a Team Option for 2009 worth 8.25M or a 2.5M buyout- + if the 2009 option is exercised, then a Team Option for 2010 worth 10M or a 1.25M buyout is added- + 2010 option value could rise to 11.5M based on various escalators, including one for AL MVP votes- + as part of the deal, he will donate up to 400K to the Rays of Hope Foundation- + if traded, he receives a bonus worth up to 800K Agent: Brain Peters MLB

I know he's making the league minimun.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 10:57 PM)
The first post..

Probably would have been in my best interest to read thewhole post. My bad on that part. :P

Still, even if he is a little upset, the Rays aren't trading him. He's under their control and as long as he's improving more and more every season, he's going to be thiers.

QUOTE(SouthSidein05 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
Wrong, they have Huff at 3B, Gomes at DH, and Crawford, Baldelli, andYoung in the OF. 

Considering the fact that Huff played 4 games at 3B in 2005, and they just got Sean Burroughs, I dont think Huff will be starting at 3B.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 11:01 PM)
Considering the fact that Huff played 4 games at 3B in 2005, and they just got Sean Burroughs, I dont think Huff will be starting at 3B.

He's capable of playing 3rd and he played it much in the minors. They wouldn't choose Burroguhes over him either.

If they need to DH him everyday, becuase his defense is so subpar, they;ll deal him to make room for Gomes.

Cantu's playing 3rd. He lead the team in RBIs last year, I think he's got that spot in hand. As the team stands currently, Huff would play 1st. Lugo, Upton, and Green share ss and 2b. They would still have one extra OFer. Gomes (ROY candidate), Gathright (one of, if not the fastest guy in MLB), Baldelli (just got signed to a long term deal), Delmon Young (one of, if not the most highly touted prospect in all of baseball), and Crawford (disgruntled with Baldelli's contract) have to share 3 OF spots and 1 DH spot. Somebody's the odd man out when your team has one of the worst pitching staffs.

Edited by Frank the Tank 35

I don't really see why it'd make sense for them to trade him unless they get a young stud pitcher in return. I'd say this thread is a pipe dream. It seems like they're much more likely to deal Huff and/or Gathright anyways, leaving probably Crawford/Baldeli/Young as their starting OF, unless they want to use Gomes while Young develops or Baldeli gets back in game shape. They seem to like him more at DH however.

They need pitching a lot more than anything else unless they start moving guys. They obviously don't need any OF's back in the deal (at least not guys that are close to ready like most of our guys, maybe more of the young high-ceiling type), considering all the potential starters they have. 3rd base is also not likely an area of need. Burroughs is the short term answer with a good chance of BJ Upton being the longterm answer. Plus Huff could play there, although he's a bit of a butcher at 3rd. Cantu is a pretty good young player at 2B (who also played 3rd a lot, not sure where they'll keep him), and Lee and Huff can play 1st. That leaves pitching of any kind, catcher, and SS if they trade Lugo as their only major holes. Maybe 1st with Huff leaving is an area of concern, but it probably isn't a priority. Pitching should obviously be their biggest area of concern, and knowing them, they'd probably want cheap, young pitching. We don't fit their needs very well in order to facilitate a trade for Crawford unless Kenny were to give up B-Mac, which is highly unlikely.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 01:00 AM)
Cantu's playing 3rd.  He lead the team in RBIs last year, I think he's got that spot in hand.  As the team stands currently, Huff would play 1st.  Lugo, Upton, and Green share ss and 2b.  They would still have one extra OFer.  Gomes (ROY candidate), Gathright (one of, if not the fastest guy in MLB), Baldelli (just got signed to a long term deal), Delmon Young (one of, if not the most highly touted prospect in all of baseball), and Crawford (disgruntled with Baldelli's contract) have to share 3 OF spots and 1 DH spot.  Somebody's the odd man out when your team has one of the worst pitching staffs.

Exactly, and I think Crawford would probably get the most in return, so while they don't lose much production since they already have an abundance of good outfielders, they definitely gain pitching (assuming any trade Crawford is involved in would include some pitching)

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 12:41 AM)
Exactly, and I think Crawford would probably get the most in return, so while they don't lose much production since they already have an abundance of good outfielders, they definitely gain pitching (assuming any trade Crawford is involved in would include some pitching)

You guys can argue with me all you want, but the fact is, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays WILL NOT trade Carl Crawford. I exagerated a little comparing him to Albert Pujols, but the fact s, they're both (Pujols and Crawford) the Centerpeices of their respective franchises, and as much as you guys want to believe a guy like McCarthy and another arm would get it done, it won't. They can get plenty of pitching in trading for Huff, Baez, Gathright, and others to the point where they will not need to trade Carl Carwford and they won't.

QUOTE(timotime @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
sorry man, your prediction is a pipe dream. southside is right.

of course if i am wrong, i will most certainly eat crow.

Idonno it is certainly possible Crawford gets traded if the Devil Rays get some players they like.... But it probably wont be to the White Sox because other than B-Mac we dont really have anyone they would be 2 interested in. And I rather keep B-Mac than trade for Crawford.

i'm late to this too, and i didnt want to read 15 pages, so sorry if this has been said already. I believe that Kenny should try to put a package together for Crawford. If he can somehow pull it off w/o getting rid of any of the major league pitchers, go for it. You dont think they would like willie, rogowski, baj, and munoz for crawford? here is why i would get rid of a lot of talent for him. take a look at this lineup.

LF - Pods

CF - Crawford

RF - Dye

1B - Konerko

DH - Thome

2B - Iguchi

C - AJ

3B - Crede

SS - Uribe

Thats as dangerous of a lineup overall as any i have seen. Its more dangerous than the potent Bos/NYY lineups in the past bc of the speed. A single for pods or crawford can turn into a triple 2 pitches later. As long as Garland,McCarthy, Cotts, or Jenks arent involved, go for it. Fields can go, Crede is still young.

QUOTE(rowand's rowdies @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
You dont think they would like willie, rogowski, baj, and munoz for crawford? here is why i would get rid of a lot of talent for him.

No, that won't be enough. And where exactly is the talent that you are giving up?

It won't happen but if we were to package minor leaguers for Crawford, then you have to think it would include Fields, better prospect pitchers (Broadway, Lumsden or Liotta) and either Anderson/Young/Owens (even if Tampa has a glut of OFs).

I think they are under new ownership. I remember reading something along the lines they would make every effort to keep what young talent they had & be aggressive in free agency.

You asked why would a team under new ownership want El Duque? The Maddux effect. Much of Contreras success has been attributed to El Duque's mentoring. That certainly raises El Duque's value.

Let's not forget that RP went thru the roof this off-season. That raises the trade value of all solid pen men. If Crawford really wants out & Tampa is serious about dealing him then I think it can be done with El Duque, Vizc, cash, & ml prospect. Say what you want about El Duque but on the D-Rays he's still likely to pitch more innings with his rag-tag health than their other candidates for their rot.

I think that Crawford is extremely overrated on these boards. He's a great player who can hit, run, and play good defense, but unless he improves his plate discipline (he has a very low OBP, .331 last year, and .320 in his career), he won't be an elite one. His BB:K ratio isn't that great either..

Carl Crawford would be awesome, but doesn't anyone want to see what brian anderson can do? If infact we do find a way to make a trade for crawford, is there any chance vazquez is used? I've heard that the d-rays have interest in him and he would be close to puerto rico.