Do you like the Marte trade?

AddisonStSox

Do you approve of the trading of Damaso Marte?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of the trading of Damaso Marte?

• Yes
    • No

People like him because of what he did in 2004. You liked how he was pitching in 2005 and would make up 1,000,000 excuses for him. Like two other sox fans int he world did such a thing.

That's kinda how I remember it too qwerty :D

Just goofin' with you Josh, although your Shingo love was a bit, well, misplaced considering your Marte hate.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 10:13 PM)
I'm not sure I get the trade. I know Marte struggled, but you can never have enough hard-throwing lefties. On the other hand, we already have three utility guys (Ozuna, Harris and Blum). What did we gain?

Blum is on the Padres and Willie may not be longed for this team.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 10:13 PM)
I'm not sure I get the trade. I know Marte struggled, but you can never have enough hard-throwing lefties. On the other hand, we already have three utility guys (Ozuna, Harris and Blum). What did we gain?

Blum signed with the Padres. Marte couldn't get lefties out. If you are a lefty and can't do that you have problems.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
Holy s***, his faith in Damaso was gone way before then.

If his faith in Marte was gone before then he wouldn't of made the playoff rosters. I am not sure it was faith as much as he just always played it by the book (lefty against lefty, righty against righty). You guys might be right about him losing his faith in Marte before that but the thing that bothered me was that he kept using him even though it was obvious that he sucked.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
If the Sox don't sign Hammond I would like to see them give Arnie Munoz a shot at making the team.  I think he can be an effective pitcher in the Bullpen.  Forget that start against the Expos.  I just hope his confidence wasn't shot after that start.

They'll give lots of guys shots at making the team. Doesn't mean they have much of a chance.

For all those who thought that Marte was going to trott out to the mound as a member of the sox, remember with all the flash of greatness and sucess he had in the past.

1.) He hid an injury earlier in the season, and had to be taken out of a game in Colorado putting the team in a bind. Hiding injuries are on the sox list of no no's.

2.) He pretty much quit on the team during one of the most crucial times of the year. I mean in September with the Indians breathing down our necks.

3.) Ozzie said he couldnt use him at home because the boos were shaking Damaso's confidence. Did we think the boos would go away the minute he walked a few lefties.

4.) Remember the amazing El Duque get out of bases loaded an no one out in Boston was due to Marte walking some people.

5.) He couldnt get lefties out. He was more likely to hit or walk the lefty than get him out.

So for all of the greatness that Marte gave us over the years, last year was a bridge burner. I like Mackowiak, and think that these tweaks are what we need. So far this has been a promising off season.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 12:53 AM)
For all those who thought that Marte was going to trott out to the mound as a member of the sox, remember with all the flash of greatness and sucess he had in the past.

1.) He hid an injury earlier in the season, and had to be taken out of a game in Colorado putting the team in a bind.  Hiding injuries are on the sox list of no no's.

2.) He pretty much quit on the team during one of the most crucial times of the year.  I mean in September with the Indians breathing down our necks.

3.) Ozzie said he couldnt use him at home because the boos were shaking Damaso's confidence.  Did we think the boos would go away the minute he walked a few lefties.

4.) Remember the amazing El Duque get out of bases loaded an no one out in Boston was due to Marte walking some people. 

5.) He couldnt get lefties out. He was more likely to hit or walk the lefty than get him out.

So for all of the greatness that Marte gave us over the years, last year was a bridge burner.  I like Mackowiak, and think that these tweaks are what we need.  So far this has been a promising off season.

Yeah, we shouldn't have given up on Marte...

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 11:11 PM)
well there was only one position battle last year.  I just hope they give Munoz a real shot at making the team.

Well he's on the 40, so he'll be there. He started most of last year, but any chance he'd have in Chicago, would be, as you said, as a reliever. They've been jerking him around in Charlotte. He was one of Charlotte's better pitchers, but that was pretty much a tallest midget contetst down there. I'm not saying he doesn't have a shot, I'm just saying that he doesn't really have a shot. :)

I will agree that after the Montreal debacle, he performed better out of the pen.

Big fan of the trade. Its pretty simple: we got a guy we needed for a guy we didn't. We couldn't rely on Marte anymore, and was definitely on the outs with Ozzie. If we could have gotten more for him, it wouldn't be a whole lot more. I know hard throwing lefties "don't grow on trees", but teams don't exactly fall over themselves for left handed pitchers with less than average control and an inability to get left handed hitters out. Not to mention a player who wasn't exactly a model teammate down the stretch.

Either way, Mackowiak is a guy who fills many needs: Insurance for Crede, backup OF who can also spell Iguchi from time to time, a solid left handed bat off the bench, and (maybe most importantly) the possible key to Timo's departure.

Nice work Kenny! :headbang

Edited by KevHead0881

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 11:29 PM)
Well he's on the 40, so he'll be there. He started most of last year, but any chance he'd have in Chicago, would be, as you said, as a reliever. They've been jerking him around in Charlotte. He was one of Charlotte's better pitchers, but that was pretty much a tallest midget contetst down there. I'm not saying he doesn't have a shot, I'm just saying that he doesn't really have a shot. :)

I will agree that after the Montreal debacle, he performed better out of the pen.

that sounds like something out of Dodgeball. I felt really bad for him in that Montreal game. He said that after the 2nd inning he was lobing pitches just to see if they wouldn't hit them. He was put in an awful position. Edited by White Sox Josh

For the first guy who said "Get me Mike Myers", thats right on. Cotts was great last year, but everyone knows the bullpen is the most unpredictable position from year to year (20 bucks says Erye and Howry have ERA's around 6). We really need another lefty and i think a verteren sidearmed guy like Myers would be perfect.