For Dems only.

Texsox

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 08:57 AM)
Hilary has a few X-factors effecting her that no one else has. Therefore, I don't think conventional wisdom necessarily plays out in her case. The one number that I can't get past is that, before he campaign has even officially begun, 40% of the country already knows they "definitely" won't vote for her.

Yes, but first of all, there's no way in hell 98% of those folks would have voted for a Democrat anyway, and secondly, how many of them would vote in a Democratic primary?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
Yes, but first of all, there's no way in hell 98% of those folks would have voted for a Democrat anyway, and secondly, how many of them would vote in a Democratic primary?

I think if you ran the same poll against some other Dem candidate, the number is way lower for "definitely not". 40% of the country is not absolute, die-hard for one party or the other. That number is smaller. Anyone else the Dems put up might get 10-20% or more of the GOP vote - Clinton would be lucky to get 5%.

As for the Dem primary, in some states, you can vote in both or even choose which one to vote in. If one GOP candidate is winning far and away, some GOP'ers will vote in the Dem primary. Hard to say what they might do.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 09:15 PM)
You're right. :lol:

She had to wait... I don't know because I'm not in NY, is she saying the same thing this term? Probably not.

To be honest, I dont' know what she's saying about her term and whether she'll serve it all out. I think I've read in the NYT that she plans to serve all of it, but that was a while ago.

Either way I think she's pretty much a shoo-in, pretty much everyone has a Clinton sign (and remember, I live in the more conservative Upstate Region), and I couldn't say for sure whom she is running against. . .

A relative of the Bush family killed a cop. This just makes the Ted Kennedy jokes so MUCH funnier!!!

http://www.boston.com/news/local/connectic...ral_judge_dies/

NEW HAVEN, Conn. --A popular city police officer died Saturday, four days after being struck by a sport utility vehicle driven by a federal judge who is a cousin of former President Bush, New Haven's mayor said.

Officer Dan Picagli, a 17-year veteran of the force, was hit while working an extra-duty job directing traffic in the rain Tuesday night in a dimly lit section of Chapel Street.

"Officer Picagli was more than a cop," New Haven Mayor John DeStefano said in a written statement Saturday. "He was someone who brought people together, who created a sense of community. He was a life enhancer to all with whom he came in contact. More than any memorial, his basic decency will keep his memory vibrant in our city."

Picagli was wearing a black rain coat and a reflective vest when he was struck.

The driver of the SUV that hit Picagli is John M. Walker Jr., a senior judge on the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York, who lives in Connecticut and maintains court chambers in New Haven. He was leaving work when the accident happened, police said.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)
A relative of the Bush family killed a cop. This just makes the Ted Kennedy jokes so MUCH funnier!!!

Uhh. Was this Bush relative drunk? Was he stoned? Blinded by rage?

Or was this simply a tragic accident in bad weather that really deserves no comparison to Kennedy's alcohol soaked driving of his date off a bridge?

You're no better than LCR with nonsense like this.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)

This has zero to do with politics, or with what Ted Kennedy did or didn't do. I'd certainly hope that no one would think any differently of anyone involved because of this, let alone this person's cousin.

Why even post this in here?

The guy was on the federal bench. I think that's related to politics. I don't get involved in these threads too much, but I wasn't trying to laugh at it or send a message of "take that republicans." I saw references to Kennedy or whatever Clinton was involved with back in Arkansas when Cheney shot the reporter.

I've seen posts in the GOP thread regarding events involving muslims and then posting the message. "remember. It's a peacful religion."

What does that have to do with politics?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)
The guy was on the federal bench. I think that's related to politics. I don't get involved in these threads too much, but I wasn't trying to laugh at it or send a message of "take that republicans." I saw references to Kennedy or whatever Clinton was involved with back in Arkansas when Cheney shot the reporter.

I took it as a message aimed at Republicans, and/or a comparison to Kennedy's incident. And either way, I still don't see why it matters to politics that some federal judge was faulted in an unfortunate accident. Even if he is someone's cousin.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)
I've seen posts in the GOP thread regarding events involving muslims and then posting the message. "remember. It's a peacful religion."

What does that have to do with politics?

Nothing. And you'll see me respond to that sort of B.S. too, though for different reasons (like the fact that its a narrow minded, bigoted and inaccurate bit of sarcasm).

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)
Just curious... why is that a good thing?

Because she served her whole term, even though everyone said she would run in 2004 despite her pledge to serve the entire term.

Kap and I kind of had that discussion on the previous page.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)
Because she served her whole term, even though everyone said she would run in 2004 despite her pledge to serve the entire term.

Ah, sorry, I thought Rex was referring to other things said about her and her chances of winning. Got it.

And when she started in 2000 in NY, she had high negatives. A lot of people had "made up their mind" not to vote for her in that election. But - surprise, surprise.... she turned out to be a good candidate. She's kind of amazing to hear speak in person (saw her at an event for my Senator yesterday) and you get the impression that she gives a crap, which isn't what a lot of the Anti-Hillary crowd would expect.

I also would say this too, the reason she doesn't have that problem this year is that she's been a great Senator for the state of New York and worked with areas that expected to be written off. There was a great article, I think in the Times a few months ago talking about how support for Clinton is so strong because she's been focused on being a Senator. Is she running for President in 08? Maybe. I'm still not certain that she is. Frankly, I hope she isn't. America could use a few more Senators who work for their states as well as Hillary.

40% of the people would say they won't vote for Hillary. I wonder how that's broken down by party affiliation.

Here's a good bumper sticker:

I Never Change My Mind -- I'm a Republican

Nice to know that Republicans form their opinion at an early age and never, ever, change them. :lolhitting That would be flip flopping or going back on their word.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
Here's a good bumper sticker:

I Never Change My Mind -- I'm a Republican

Nice to know that Republicans form their opinion at an early age and never, ever, change them. :lolhitting That would be flip flopping or going back on their word.

Incorrect Tex. They're not in favor of staying the course, and they've never been in favor of staying the course. The Republicans are adapting to win, and they've always been adapting to win.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/20/poll.08/index.html

CNN 2008 Presidential Poll

Hillary Rodham Clinton 51%

John McCain 43%

There's a lot more interesting detail in that poll. First:

Asked if they preferred Hillary Rodham Clinton to McCain, respondents gave the Democratic New York senator and former first lady a 51 percent to 44 percent advantage over the Republican Senator from Arizona. Remove "Rodham" and McCain had a 1 percentage point advantage, 48 percent to 47 percent.

Second...both of those polls are within the margin of error the same, since this was only a 500 person poll, and presumably they'd have to ask the question in different ways for different groups, so those are going to wind up being some pretty small sample sizes.

But anyway, it's still nice to see someone, anyone, polling on the same order as the news media's patron saint of independence, John McCain.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 07:14 PM)

I'll be honest, Hillary is perfect for New York, and frankly, FOR NEW YORK, she's done a damn good job. What I mean by that is, her idealism, for the state in general, works. And she's done some things for the state that probably otherwise wouldn't have gotten done.

It will seriously be interesting to see how this all plays out. If you believe all the conspiracy crap, Hillary was a done deal for President in 2008 after the 2004 election, but who knows for sure.

Search whitehouse.gov by keyword

Results for: "stay the course"

153 results found, top 100 sorted by date

A free Iraq will mean a peaceful world. And it's very important for us to stay the course, and we will stay the course.

President Discusses AIDS Initiative, Iraq in Botswana, July 10, 2003

It's in the national interest of the United States that a peaceful Iraq emerge. And we will stay the course in order to achieve this objective.

President Bush, Ambassador Bremer Discuss Progress in Iraq , October 27, 2003

... they want us to leave, because they know that a free and peaceful Iraq in their midst will damage their cause. And we will stay the course, we will do our job.

President Bush Visits California -- Talks to Victims of Fires, November 4, 2003

We will stay the course, and as more and more Iraqis realize freedom is precious and freedom is a beautiful way of life, ...

President Bush, Italian President Ciampi Discuss Iraq , November 14, 2003

I was able to assure them that we were going to stay the course and get the job done, ...

President Discusses Trip to Iraq with Reporters, November 27, 2003

And as in the aftermath of the terrible attack on Pearl Harbor, our Nation will stay the course, and we will prevail.

National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, 2003 , December 5, 2003

We will stay the course until the job is done, Steve. And the temptation is to try to get the President or somebody to put a timetable on the definition of getting the job done. We're just going to stay the course. And it's very important for the Iraqi people to know that.

President Bush Holds Press Conference, December 15, 2003

I told the family how much we appreciated his sacrifice -- he was killed in Iraq -- and assured him that we would stay the course,

President Bush Discusses Iraq, 911 Commission with Reporters , April 5, 2004

We will stay the course. The Iraqi people don't have to fear taking the risk toward freedom and democracy because America won't turn and run.

Global Message, April 6, 2004

Look, this is hard work. It's hard to advance freedom in a country that has been strangled by tyranny. And, yet, we must stay the course, because the end result is in our nation's interest.

President Addresses the Nation in Prime Time Press Conference, April 13, 2004

And that's why we're going to stay the course in Iraq.

Bush, Blair Discuss Sharon Plan; Future of Iraq in Press Conference , April 16, 2004

If we don't lose our nerve, if we stay the course, someday down the road, an American President will be working with democratically-elected leaders in the broader Middle East at the table to keep the peace.

President's Remarks at Mike Sodrel for Congress and Indiana Victory 2006 Reception, March 24, 2006

And I'd just like to reiterate what the other governors have said, that it is very important that we stay the course, that we provide support for these incredible people that are doing such a service for liberty around the world and protecting our freedoms here.

President Meets with Governors Who Traveled to Kuwait, Iraq, and Afghanistan, April 19, 2006

And I saw people wondering whether the United States would have the nerve to stay the course and help them succeed.

Remarks by the President at the 2006 President's Dinner, June 19, 2006

As a matter of fact, we will win in Iraq so long as we stay the course.

Remarks by the President at "Green for Wisconsin" Reception, July 11, 2006

But there's no alternative but to stay the course with it. And we will.

President Bush and Prime Minister Blair of the United Kingdom Participate in Press Availability, July 28, 2006

We will stay the course, we will help this young Iraqi democracy succeed,

President Bush's Remarks Upon Arrival in Utah, August 30, 2006

Stay the course also means don't leave before the job is done. And that's -- we're going to get the job done in Iraq. And it's important that we do get the job done in Iraq.

Press Conference by the President , October 11, 2006

(today) STORM: So, Mr. Bartlett, staying the course is no longer the operative strategy?

BARTLETT: Well, Hannah, it’s never been a stay-the-course strategy. Strategically, we think it’s very important that we stay in Iraq and we win in Iraq. And if we were to cut and run and go and leave that country too early it would be a disaster for American policy.

(Yesterday) STEPHANOPOULOS: That's exactly what I wanted to ask you about because [former Secretary of State under President George H.W. Bush] James Baker says he's looking for something between . . . cut and run and stay the course.

BUSH: Listen, we've never been stay the course, George.

I'm stealing this one, but it's too good:

Isn't it interesting that now, just before the elections, Bush is choosing to cut and run from his pat phrase "stay the course?"

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 11:52 PM)
Tex,

Why?

More than a few things, number one, I believe we need someone who could unite the country, not further divide them. We need someone with Reagan's or (early version) Bill Clinton pr abilities. The biggest magic that happened with Reagan was making us feel better about our future and our ability to overcome adversity. We had the embarrassment of Nixon, the clumsiness of Ford in W.I.N., and the paralysis of Carter. Then Reagan comes riding in, literally, bigger than life and gives us back our swagger.

With the terrorism threat, we need someone who can give us back our swagger. Hillary aint it.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 06:52 AM)
More than a few things, number one, I believe we need someone who could unite the country, not further divide them. We need someone with Reagan's or (early version) Bill Clinton pr abilities. The biggest magic that happened with Reagan was making us feel better about our future and our ability to overcome adversity. We had the embarrassment of Nixon, the clumsiness of Ford in W.I.N., and the paralysis of Carter. Then Reagan comes riding in, literally, bigger than life and gives us back our swagger.

With the terrorism threat, we need someone who can give us back our swagger. Hillary aint it.

The current administration has plenty of swagger. The problem is they're a little short, on, oh, let's call it the competence department.