McCarthy left with more to prove

Pierzynski 12

CHICAGO -- The 2006 season seemed to be set up as Brandon McCarthy's breakout campaign.

It was commonly known that the fifth spot in the White Sox starting rotation would come down between the young right-hander with one of the best changeups in the American League and veteran Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez. Despite El Duque beating out McCarthy for the final postseason pitching slot in the 2005 playoffs and his ensuing postseason heroics, McCarthy had the edge.

After all, the 22-year-old from Colorado finished 3-1 with a 1.69 ERA over seven games after being recalled from Triple-A Charlotte for the final time Aug. 30. That run included 14 2/3 scoreless innings as a starter against the high-powered Boston and Texas offenses on the road.

So, when Hernandez officially was traded to the Diamondbacks on Tuesday evening, along with reliever Luis Vizcaino and Minor League phenom Chris Young, the door was open for McCarthy. But as quickly as that door flung open, it swung back violently once again toward McCarthy with the acquisition of veteran starter Javier Vazquez in this particular trade.

With two months until Spring Training, general manager Ken Williams mentioned during a Tuesday conference call to introduce Vazquez that the White Sox most likely will head to Tucson with all six starters. Along with McCarthy and Vazquez, that group includes Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Jon Garland and Jose Contreras -- marking one of the deepest and most talented starting rotations in all of baseball.

Story too long,so here's the link.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Edited by Pierzynski 12

I can honestly imagine Williams calling Scott Merkin and suggesting to him, "write an article about McCarthy having more to prove, and how he'll be in the bullpen if no further moves are made. Something along those lines. Just give the impression we're in no rush to trade Garland."

I didn't need to read the entire article to realize it's a smoke screen. If no other news articles have suggested otherwise, search the White Sox archives for Williams quote relating to not trading relievers. These MLB articles are usually nothing more than pieces created to justify all possible alternatives to a transaction. Whether Garland is traded or not, the explanations are covered. However, just peer at the title--"McCarthy Left With More To Prove." What else does he possibly have to prove? I don't believe it.

I've reflected on this topic throughout the week. There are several key points which should convince all detractors, and doubters, of trading Garland that inevitably, he'll be shipped off before Spring Training:

1. In the Garland for Prospects thread, it's cited in an article we're currently above budget. It may be the most obvious indication of an upcoming transaction.This will undoubtedly be corrected with a trade involving cheaper alternatives. Now, who is expendable AND expensive? Sounds like Garland to me.

2. Compile a list of scenarios concerning Jon Garland and the 06' season. Few benefit our club. If we're intent on trading him midseaon, what will our record have to be to justify the decision? Either we'd be in a position of breating room atop the division, or unfortuantely, down below. But with Cleveland's late season resurgence, and the lingering effects of the White Flag trade still echoeing throughout baseball, it wouldn't make sense to trade Garland unless we were FAR below the division lead. If a nightmare season did unravel itself, Garland wouldn't be the only player moved anywyas.

3. If a scenario presents itself where trading Garland is jusitfied, nothing short of repeating his postseason success, or first-half of 05' stats, would warrant an acceptable package. His value with the Whtie Sox has reached it's peak. Our only benefit appears to be the two draft picks Garland would garner. Williams obviously knows these will be wasted on drafting soft tossing pitchers, or Aaron Rowand clones.

Only scenario I could envision holding onto Garland is for the possibility of injury. If any one pitcher were to miss an extended amount of time, McCarthy could fill in from the bullpen. Perhaps that is Williams plan--keep Garland unless a trade scenario is presented which is too good to pass up. But I doubt it. He's grown frustrated with Garland's negotiation talks.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Williams obviously knows these will be wasted on drafting soft tossing pitchers, or Aaron Rowand clones.

Huh? I'm far from an expert on the supplemental picks, but I'm pretty sure if the Sox lose Garland they will be due two high round picks, possibly even 1st and 2nd round picks depending on how Garland performs. Now, for what reason would KW waste his picks on bad players? He's going to be drafting them in high rounds--clearly he'll get as good as players as he can.

Whats wrong with Arow clones? Arow is a + CF. He just helped land us Jim Thome and money when we have another cheap clone of him (BA) ready to go. Developing low-cost players through the farm systemis the one area where small and middle market clubs can hope to compete and gain advantage.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
I didn't want to add that...entirely because I didn't want to imply that they'd already made the decision and were going to need to do any Rueing.

But it's a Family Guy reference, and as we all know, Family Guy is awesome, so it had to be used.