Cubs after Tejada, could move Prior

SSH2005

The White Sox had/have a policy that they didn't/don't go more than 3 years with a pitcher's contract. They were going to make an exception to that with Alex Fernandez because of his age, and what they considered excellent mechanics. They got f'd over by Boras as Alex went to Florida where he quickly blew out his arm. It probably cemented that policy even more. I believe just about every pitcher will eventually have problems with his shoulder or elbow.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
that was the original thought, but with his phantom arm problems last year there has been a lot of questions about it.  The best thing I heard someone say about it (Maybe it was Stone, I can't remember) is that pitching is just a violent motion and no matter how sound a pitcher's mechanics look, there is always a lot of stress on the arm.

Prior has some of the best mechanics I've seen. His arm problems last year were becuase of A. His leg problems adding to the stress on his arm and B. A freak line drive off of his elbow.(I was there)

Seriously, Mark Prior has some Cy Young seasons ahead of him, and i would trade anyone on our roster that they wanted straight up for Mark Prior. The guy is a flat out ACE.

A good friend speculated an interesting trading scenario in regards to Prior. He claims that the Cubs will indeed trade Prior and prospects to the Orioles for Tejada out of vulnerbility from being the 'new' 2nd team in town ;)

And since the Orioles would be worried about Priors health they would ship him to the White Sox for Jose Contreras and a couple of mid-level prospects. So the Orioles would get about 5-6 solid prospects out of these moves plus Contreras in which they can trade during the midseason for even more prospects. Lets face it the Orioles are going to re-build. And the Orioles KNOW Contreras is healthy and are questioning Priors health.

CAN you guys imagine Prior on the Sox?!?! It would ruin the Cubs forever!

Prior, Buerhle, Garland, Garcia, Vazquez, McCarthy = WOAH!!!!!!!!

Hey in Kenny you never know ;)

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 11:09 AM)
A good friend speculated an interesting trading scenario in regards to Prior. He claims that the Cubs will indeed trade Prior and prospects to the Orioles for Tejada out of vulnerbility from being the 'new' 2nd team in town ;)

And since the Orioles would be worried about Priors health they would ship him to the White Sox for Jose Contreras and a couple of mid-level prospects. So the Orioles would get about 5-6 solid prospects out of these moves plus Contreras in which they can trade during the midseason for even more prospects. Lets face it the Orioles are going to re-build. And the Orioles KNOW Contreras is healthy and are questioning Priors health.

Remember folks ... the key word in this post is "speculated". It's interesting and worth discussion just for the sake of discussion. But this doesn't even qualify as a longshot.

Yeah, that's very far fetched. Hendry was (may still be) requiring another starter in return for Prior.

If I'm the Orioles, I'd rather take chances with Prior's health--since he's locked up for several more years, than one possible half/year of Contreras. Orioles would have to practically hide this from the Cubs; because I doubt they trade Prior knowing he may end up on the South Side.

I realize this will probably never happen, but I am giggling out loud thinking about it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2280623

CHICAGO -- Chicago Cubs pitcher Mark Prior voided the final year of his contract, making him eligible for salary arbitration.

The right-hander's agent, John Boggs, said Wednesday that Prior notified the team of his decision on Nov. 29.

Prior's deal, agreed to in 2001 after he was drafted, allowed him to void the contract after 2004 or 2005, but only if he had accumulated enough service time to be eligible for arbitration. He just missed having enough service time after 2004.

His first contract had called for a $2.75 million salary next year, and he will earn far more because of arbitration.

Prior went 11-7 in 2005, posting a 3.67 ERA. The 25-year-old had 188 strikeouts against 59 walks in 167.2 innings of work. Prior has only topped the 200-inning mark once in his career, and that was in 2003.

Prior seeking another few million isn't unexpected.It's not as if the Cubs are spending money on quality free agents and may need another few million. Although Prior's notice of seeking arbitration was known before Furcal's signing, Cubs were simply unwilling to match Dodgers final offer.