New Tejada News: O's reportedly make a proposal...

maggsmaggs

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 04:00 PM)
wow, are you serious?

Prior in 2003 was 18-6 with a 2.43 ERA and 245 k's  50 bb's

this was the counts best year and he was 15-7 3.61 154 k's 75 bb's  post all star he had a 2.96 ERA.  Not even as good as Priors whole season. 

Seriously, you need to research your claims before you type them.

I think he is saying that if Count had the same 1st half as 2nd half/playoffs. Calm down there killer. :P

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Adam G @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
What the hell do you think I was replying to? 

And that's JUST your opinion.

How is that my opinion. I posted statistics that were ALL in favor of Mark Prior. In 2003, he was better than Contreras was this year, even if you isolate only the 2nd half, Prior still has better numbers.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
How is that my opinion.  I posted statistics that were ALL in favor of Mark Prior.  In 2003, he was better than Contreras was this year, even if you isolate only the 2nd half, Prior still has better numbers.

Since he pitches in the NL Mark Prior gets a free inning a game and still allowed more hits in '03 than Contreras did in '05 (entire season).

QUOTE(Adam G @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 12:08 PM)
Since he pitches in the NL Mark Prior gets a free inning a game and still allowed more hits in '03 than Contreras did in '05 (entire season).

That's some interesting cherry-picking of statistics. Contreras allowed more walks in 05 than Prior did in 03. Should I care? Beats the hell out of me.

QUOTE(Adam G @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 02:08 PM)

So, thats all you got? More hits? Come on, compare full seasons, no comparison. Compare 2nd halves Prior was 10-1 with a 1.52 walking ONLY 16 whilst K-ing 95

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 03:07 PM)
How is that my opinion.  I posted statistics that were ALL in favor of Mark Prior.  In 2003, he was better than Contreras was this year, even if you isolate only the 2nd half, Prior still has better numbers.

QUOTE(Adam G @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)
11-2 2.96 in the second half (AL, not NL) and 3-1 3.09 in the playoffs is hardly chopped liver.  Prior allowed more hits in '03 than Contreras allowed last year as well.

It's really not as bad of a suggestion as you're making it out to be. Jose looked great in the 2nd half and playoffs...

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
So, thats all you got?  More hits?  Come on, compare full seasons, no comparison.  Compare 2nd halves Prior was 10-1 with a 1.52 walking ONLY 16 whilst K-ing 95

Compare full seasons? Prior isnt going to do much from the DL. You have to compare the body of work, and injuries are part of that for Prior.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 02:12 PM)
It's really not as bad of a suggestion as you're making it out to be.  Jose looked great in the 2nd half and playoffs...

How can anyone say that Contreras of 2005 was better than Prior of 2003. Seriously, stop cherry picking stats. Prior's whole season was better, his 2nd half was better, his POSTSEASON stats were better. Just take off the homer hat and see clearly.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 02:10 PM)
That's some interesting cherry-picking of statistics.  Contreras allowed more walks in 05 than Prior did in 03.  Should I care?  Beats the hell out of me.

What, you guys are cherry picking years, I cant cherry pick stats?

The walks bother me, but strikeouts I could care less about because I dont play fantasy baseball and wins have as much to do with run support and defense as pitching.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 03:10 PM)
That's some interesting cherry-picking of statistics.  Contreras allowed more walks in 05 than Prior did in 03.  Should I care?  Beats the hell out of me.

LMAO!!! You know what statistics get you? The BCS. The games are played on the field and that is what really matters.

QUOTE(Adam G @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
What, you guys are cherry picking years, I cant cherry pick stats? 

The walks bother me, but strikeouts I could care less about because I dont play fantasy baseball and wins have as much to do with run support and defense as pitching.

Nobody is cherry picking years, not even me. The comparison was brought up that Contreras in 2005 was better than Prior is his best year (2003). This is why im telling you to read posts before you argue. So therefore the comparison of stats would be Prior 2003 vs Count 2005. Not exactly cherry picking. So if k's and wins mean nothing to you, how about ERA?? Or WHIP.

QUOTE(Adam G @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
Well lets debate the third week in August 2002.  :headshake

Seriously, you need to learn to read, before you jumped in this argument with no knowledge, it was brought up by someone other than me that Count was better this year than prior in 2003. That was the comparison, not the players now, but these two years in comparison.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)
How can anyone say that Contreras of 2005 was better than Prior of 2003.  Seriously, stop cherry picking stats.  Prior's whole season was better, his 2nd half was better, his POSTSEASON stats were better.  Just take off the homer hat and see clearly.

I didn't say one was better than the other, just that both performed at a high enough level that they merit comparison. It isn't exactly shocking that an NL pitcher is gonna have the better stats...Do you own a prior jersey or something? I'm still not sure why comparing them is such a crazy concept...

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
Seriously, you need to learn to read, before you jumped in this argument with no knowledge, it was brought up by someone other than me that Count was better this year than prior in 2003.  That was the comparison, not the players now, but these two years in comparison.

I'm pretty sure he can read Rock. Just let it go...for the sake of the thread.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
Nobody is cherry picking years, not even me.  The comparison was brought up that Contreras in 2005 was better than Prior is his best year (2003).  This is why im telling you to read posts before you argue.  So therefore the comparison of stats would be Prior 2003 vs Count 2005.  Not exactly cherry picking.  So if k's and wins mean nothing to you, how about ERA?? Or WHIP.

Yeah, ERA is a good one. How different is Contreras' 2.96 in the second half from Prior's 2.43 in 2003? What's the average run differential between the AL and NL?

QUOTE(Adam G @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 02:20 PM)
Yeah, ERA is a good one.  How different is Contreras' 2.96 in the second half from Prior's 2.43 in 2003?  What's the average run differential between the AL and NL?

Lets compare their 2nd halves then.

Contreras 2.96

Prior 1.52

Lets look at the Pros and cons to this deal.

Pros:

1. Contreras is in the last year of his deal so he would likely leave after the 2006 season anyways.

2. Tejada is one of the best players in baseball. He hits for average and power every single year. His defense is above average.

3. Would solify our starting lineup for years to come.

Cons:

1. You lose the insurance of that 6th starter in case of injury.

2. You lose arguably the best defensive SS in the game, not to mention he is very cheap.

3.You lose even more outfield depth in Sweeney.

This deal scares me too much!