Alexander NFL MVP

Shaun Alexander has won the NFL's MVP award., ending Peyton Manning's 2 year streak.

Shaun Alexander was getting tired of having golfing partner Marshall Faulk remind him who owned an Associated Press NFL Most Valuable Player award. So Alexander went out and got himself one -- in record-breaking style.

Alexander set an NFL mark with 28 touchdowns, led the league in rushing and ran away with the MVP voting Thursday. And with free agency on the horizon, the Seattle running back could parlay his sensational year into unprecedented riches.

"Marsh and I go golfing and he will talk about MVPs and this and that as he drops another putt in," Alexander said. "It is one of those things where I think it is more for the writers and media until after you retire. When you retire, that is when guys seem like they talk about it a little bit more."

Still, Alexander talked plenty about it Thursday after being told he earned 19 votes from a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL. He ended the two-year reign of Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning, who received 13 votes.

First, he called his wife, Valerie, to tell her the good news. Then, as he sat down before a slew of cameras inside the press room at Seahawks headquarters in Kirkland, Wash., he said: "Oh, man. This is exciting."

"You never know how voting goes, so you can't get caught up in that," he said. "But everyone wants to put themselves in a position where you can say you are one of those top players. And that's how you get to the Super Bowl. And that's how you win 13 games. That was our goal."

Alexander spearheaded the Seahawks' rise to the best record in the NFC, 13-3, including a victory over the league's only 14-2 team, the Colts. It was the most productive season in Seahawks history, one in which Alexander scored 28 touchdowns and rushed for 1,880 yards.

"I think that is a team goal," Alexander said of winning the award. "The way I always looked at MVPs was it was a player that did really, really good on a really, really good team. That is why I am even more excited about this year, because I have put together some great numbers, but we have a great team."

Those great numbers included 11 games rushing for 100 yards or more, topped by 173 against Arizona on Nov. 6. He scored 27 TDs on the ground and one as a receiver to break Priest Holmes' seasonal record by one.

His lowest output was in a Monday night game in Philadelphia, a 42-0 romp in which he played only the first half and had 49 yards in the snow.

Alexander became the only player in NFL history with at least 15 TDs in five straight seasons and the fourth with consecutive 20-touchdown years. He became Seattle's career rushing leader this season.

"He sure deserves it," said Pro Bowl fullback Mack Strong of the six-year veteran out of Alabama. "He's had a very impressive year. In my mind, no one has been more deserving of MVP."

Seattle would like to get used to having Alexander in the backfield. But he could leave in the offseason.

He was designated the Seahawks' franchise player before this season and accepted the team's one-year, $6.323 million offer -- with a proviso. The team agreed not to use the same franchise tag on him in 2006.

So either the Seahawks come up with a huge financial package, or the MVP could be scoring touchdowns and gaining all those yards elsewhere next season.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 05:53 PM)
Where did Brady go to college again?

that has nothing to do with it. He was the best player on his team. If they didn't have him they wouldn't have a prayer of making noise in the playoffs. Yes Alexander had a great season and I was his biggest fan (he was on my fantasy team) however half of that credit goes to that offensive line. Brady had to do it all on his own pretty much.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)
Why didn't they just give the award to Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson? Those two are responsible for pretty much everything Alexander did this season.

I wouldn't go that far. Alexander is a great running back and any other year he would deserve it. This is the wrong year.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 07:02 PM)
I wouldn't go that far.  Alexander is a great running back and any other year he would deserve it.  This is the wrong year.

There's a reason the Seahawks run to the left over 50% of the time, and that reason would be the 2 future HOF lineman on that side. That and the fact that Alexander disappeared against the good teams of the NFL are reason enough to not give the award to him IMO.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 06:51 PM)
He deserves it.  Manning really wasn't the Colts MVP.  I'd given that nod to James this year.

I have to disagree. When James was doing all the heavy lifting for the offense, it was because teams were playing to not let Manning beat them. Once they stopped doing that, Manning put up similar numbers to what he had last year. There is no other QB in the NFL that could run the Colts' offense IMO, and certainly no one else could make it as efficient as Manning does. To me, that makes him the MVP of the Colts at the very least.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
I have to disagree. When James was doing all the heavy lifting for the offense, it was because teams were playing to not let Manning beat them. Once they stopped doing that, Manning put up similar numbers to what he had last year. There is no other QB in the NFL that could run the Colts' offense IMO, and certainly no one else could make it as efficient as Manning does. To me, that makes him the MVP of the Colts at the very least.

True. I just think James really proved his worth a lot to this team this year, and we HAVE to retain him.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)
I think he is in the running for Def. POY.

Which would definitely be deserving. The MVP award is really hard for a Defensive player to win, but I thought he should have received some recognition.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 11:22 PM)
Which would definitely be deserving.  The MVP award is really hard for a Defensive player to win, but I thought he should have received some recognition.

Defensive players rarely win MVP, if ever. They might get some recognition (a la Ray Lewis) but it would have to be a dominating, DOMINATING season. LT was the last defender to win MVP back in 86.

They should really change the title of this award. MVP means most valuable. But in all reality, they just give it to the guy with the best numbers and what not. Think about teams who would really suck without a certain player. Would the Seahawks suck without SA? Doubtful. Would the Colts suck with Manning? Probably not. Give the award to guys like Carson Palmer, Plaxico Burress, Santana Moss, Steve Smith, or Willie Parker. Guys who were truly the most valuable players. I am taking nothing from Alexander or Manning but if they deserve an award, then it should be Most Outstanding Player not Most Valuable Player.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 11:58 PM)
Why didn't they just give the award to Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson? Those two are responsible for pretty much everything Alexander did this season.

Come on, dude. Alexander is a monster RB. Could you imagine him on the Bears? I would just about cream my shorts. I never expected to enter this thread and read about how he didn't deserve to win the freaking MVP award after he set the all-time record for TDs in a season.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 04:00 AM)
Come on, dude.  Alexander is a monster RB.  Could you imagine him on the Bears?  I would just about cream my shorts.  I never expected to enter this thread and read about how he didn't deserve to win the freaking MVP award after he set the all-time record for TDs in a season.

I believe Dam is a Colts fan so your not clicking on that front. And to think, the Bears could have had Alexander OR Edgerrin James this past offseason.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 07:59 AM)
They should really change the title of this award. MVP means most valuable. But in all reality, they just give it to the guy with the best numbers and what not. Think about teams who would really suck without a certain player. Would the Seahawks suck without SA? Doubtful. Would the Colts suck with Manning? Probably not. Give the award to guys like Carson Palmer, Plaxico Burress, Santana Moss, Steve Smith, or Willie Parker. Guys who were truly the most valuable players. I am taking nothing from Alexander or Manning but if they deserve an award, then it should be Most Outstanding Player not Most Valuable Player.

So, if Alexander was on the Steelers, he would be an MVP candidate, as he is clearly much, much better than Willie Parker. But since he is on the Seahawks, he should not be up for the MVP award.

Hmmm, makes a lot of sense.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 04:05 AM)
So, if Alexander was on the Steelers, he would be an MVP candidate, as he is clearly much, much better than Willie Parker.  But since he is on the Seahawks, he should not be up for the MVP award.

Hmmm, makes a lot of sense.

I never said he wasn't a candidate. He most certainly is. But think about it. He is the most valuable player on his team but like I said, if he wasn't on the Seahawks, I doubt they would be a bad team. If Willie Parker wasn't on the Steeler in 2005, the Steelers would have no running game until week 11 or 12. They wouldn't have been a playoff team IMO. Now, I don't follow the Seahawks that well so I might be totally wrong but I think the award should actually be given to the MVP not the guy with the best stats.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 12:02 AM)
I wouldn't go that far.  Alexander is a great running back and any other year he would deserve it.  This is the wrong year.

So, in the year he breaks the all-time record for TDs, he doesn't deserve the MVP. But if it was any other year, he would deserve it. :lol:

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 04:10 AM)
So, in the year he breaks the all-time record for TDs, he doesn't deserve the MVP.  But if it was any other year, he would deserve it.  :lol:

I agree with you here. That just made ZERO sense.