Recruiting Thread

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 03:08 PM)
Chimpy,

What Im hearing on Rolle is as follows:

Henry's youth pastor posts at Wisconsin's Rivals site. He said that he has a "Gut" feeling that Rolle is going to verbal to Wisconsin after Henry did.

On Wisconsin's Scout boards there is a FSU poster, who said:

Most are saying its now down to UF and UW, with Miami being a dark horse with the new HC selection.

Would be impressive to take a UF guy out of Florida.

Damn dude, I sure hope you guys get him. The kid is going to be another Buster Davis like LB.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well FSU is basically my second favorite team, so the fact that getting him would prevent UF and Miami from landing him makes it even sweeter.

This last week has been really crazy for Wisconsin, and if this is how Beilema is going to recruit Wisconsin may be on its way to building a national program with staying power.

At this point I would say most Wisconsin fans would doing backflips if they can just land Clay or Martin, preferably Clay imo.

The word on Clay is that OSU wants to switch him to D, and that Iowa has started to make a run at him. The people from the Wisconsin area say Clay is leaning towards Wisconsin, but that he wants the Badgers to take one of his friends from the team as well.

I had a crazy sighting yesterday.... Eric Gordon came to our Girls basketball game yesterday to watch #5 Benton Central (My HS) take on #9West Lafayette. I actually have no idea whatsoever why he would drive 100 to watch that but it may have something to do with our sophomore sensation PG Skyler Gick? Other than that I have no idea. Greasy when you run into Eric down on campus why dont you ask him for me? haha

Edited by He_Gawn

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)
I had a crazy sighting yesterday.... Eric Gordon came to our Girls basketball game yesterday to watch #5 Benton Central (My HS) take on #9West Lafayette. I actually have no idea whatsoever why he would drive 100 to watch that but it may have something to do with our sophomore sensation PG Skyler Gick? Other than that I have no idea. Greasy when you run into Eric down on campus why dont you ask him for me? haha

Haha interesting. I saw him behind the bench at the Charlotte game with an attractive female. I can't wait until next year.

Indianapolis hosted the Circle City Classic: Challenge of Champions yesterday. Below is an article from the Indianapolis Star. The Classic included a lineup of six games that featured top teams from Indiana as well as teams from Peoria, Chicago, and Dayton. The Classic featured several Division I recruits including Purdue-bound JuJuan Johnson, Illinois-bound Bill Cole, IU-bound Eric Gordon as well as several others. See the article for results and performances by several top recruits.

Stars Shine in Showcase

nice recruiting weekend for illinois.

mark jackson, an offensive lineman out of columbus (via cincinnati) committed to illinois after his visit. jackson also had an offer from michigan among other schools.

also, simeon's five-star defensive end martez wilson and bloomington's four-star defensive tackle josh brent have said they will make a co-announcement on dec. 20 at simeon high school. brent declared illinois his leader after this weekend's visit to ohio state.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 08:25 AM)

mark jackson, an offensive lineman out of columbus (via cincinnati) committed to illinois after his visit. jackson also had an offer from michigan among other schools.

also, simeon's five-star defensive end martez wilson and bloomington's four-star defensive tackle josh brent have said they will make a co-announcement on dec. 20 at simeon high school. brent declared illinois his leader after this weekend's visit to ohio state.

D'Angelo McCray also is announcing on Thursday. I think McCray, Brent, and Wilson (who will move to LB) are all heading to Champaign. That Zook guy is pretty good.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)

ND has really made up some ground with Wilson over the past two weeks, but I am not sure if it will be enough. Wilson had questions about ND's social life, but apparently came away impressed(ND must have blindfolded him and flew him down to Miami or something) after his visit. With that said, usually when two players announce at the same time they are usually going to the same school, so I wouldn't be surprised if Wilson ends up at UI.

ND is a lock for a top ten class, has a very good chance at a top five class, and might even have an outside chance at the number one rated class with some recent news from two top ten players(no matter which recruiting site you use). Everson Griffen(top rated DE in the country), recently stated that he is certainly not a lock for USC and said that they are even with Michigan and ND(everyone thought he was an USC silent). Weis made an in house visit after the USC game and apparently made quite the impression. Griffen is considering making yet another trip to ND on the twenty of Jan. Joe McKnight(top rated athlete/RB), recently stated that ND is in his top three with LSU and USC(everyone thought it was down to those two) and said that he will likely also make a trip to ND on the same date as Griffen. Landing both of these guys(as unlikely as it seems) would almost guarantee ND the top recruiting class in the country, and even landing one of them would give them a good shot.

In other news, ND will likely receive a verbal from DT Ian Williams tomorrow. He was once thought to be a Florida lock, but Florida hasn't shown consistent interest as they wait for potential commitments from high rated DT. Williams recently took a visit to ND this past weekend, and came away impressed. He announced his date for Tuesday leading many to believe that he will commit to ND. Given ND's lack of quality DT, Williams is a great get.

Joe McKnight is an unbelievable athlete and would be a HUGE get for ND. He played against Hoover this year and you could tell he was on a different level than the rest of the players, even with Hoover having two high level D-I defensive prospects.

yeah, i tend to think purcell is next up.

interesting to look at illinois class so far and see how weighted it is to ohio players. five of 12 commits are from ohio. zook seems to be doing a pretty good job out here.

Gotta love Butch Davis, Marvin Austin is very interested in UNC now and is close to making UNC his final official visit. Now this...

"Iandoli also said North Carolina head coach Butch Davis contacted Noel Devine last week."

:D , I'm not counting on either, but it's fun to atleast be in it now.

Purcell is in the fold as well now officially. The Robertson decision is especially fun, as it leaves a lot of egg on Iowa's face. They basically told Joliet Catholic LB Kevin Rouse, who was a verbal, to go away (he is now a Wisconsin verbal) because they thought they had Robertson. Oops.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 11:08 PM)
Gotta love Butch Davis, Marvin Austin is very interested in UNC now and is close to making UNC his final official visit. Now this...

"Iandoli also said North Carolina head coach Butch Davis contacted Noel Devine last week."

:D , I'm not counting on either, but it's fun to atleast be in it now.

Devine won't qualify, and will probably end up at Hargrave next year. Austin would be quite a coup though, and I think you guys have a very real shot at him.

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
ND has really made up some ground with Wilson over the past two weeks, but I am not sure if it will be enough. Wilson had questions about ND's social life, but apparently came away impressed(ND must have blindfolded him and flew him down to Miami or something) after his visit. With that said, usually when two players announce at the same time they are usually going to the same school, so I wouldn't be surprised if Wilson ends up at UI.

ND is a lock for a top ten class, has a very good chance at a top five class, and might even have an outside chance at the number one rated class with some recent news from two top ten players(no matter which recruiting site you use). Everson Griffen(top rated DE in the country), recently stated that he is certainly not a lock for USC and said that they are even with Michigan and ND(everyone thought he was an USC silent). Weis made an in house visit after the USC game and apparently made quite the impression. Griffen is considering making yet another trip to ND on the twenty of Jan. Joe McKnight(top rated athlete/RB), recently stated that ND is in his top three with LSU and USC(everyone thought it was down to those two) and said that he will likely also make a trip to ND on the same date as Griffen. Landing both of these guys(as unlikely as it seems) would almost guarantee ND the top recruiting class in the country, and even landing one of them would give them a good shot.

In other news, ND will likely receive a verbal from DT Ian Williams tomorrow. He was once thought to be a Florida lock, but Florida hasn't shown consistent interest as they wait for potential commitments from high rated DT. Williams recently took a visit to ND this past weekend, and came away impressed. He announced his date for Tuesday leading many to believe that he will commit to ND. Given ND's lack of quality DT, Williams is a great get.

Yeah, ND is doing a great job. No shot at the #1 class, as Texas has had that locked up since about May, but they will be top 5.

Texas is in the clubhouse with a great recruiting class and are the safe bet to take home the number one rated recruiting class, but it certainly isn't a lock. Both USC and ND have higher rated classes based on the average of the stars of the recruits on rivals. Both ND and USC have small classes at this point as a good majority of blue chip recruits wait until the AA game and/or close to signing day before they announce, and both schools are on the final list of a dozen plus four star+ recruits who have yet to make their decision. For consistency purposes, I will use Rivals rankings. Here is a current comparison of the three schools:

Texas - twenty-three total recruits; four five-star; thirteen four-star; five three- star;

USC - ten total recruits; three five-star; six four-star; one three-star

ND - twelve total recruits; one five star; eight four-star; three three-star

Now I stated that IF ND landed both McKnight and Griffen they would have a shot at the top class(this is highly unlikely but ND did make the final three for both players). That would give ND three five-star recruits(only one behind Texas obviously) and eight four-star recruits. Furthermore, the three ND five-star recruits(Clausen, Griffen, and McKnight) are what I call consensus top ten recruits. That means that all three are in the top ten of both the Scout and Rivals rankings, while none of the four Texas five-star recruits are. Have I lost you yet? Here is a list of the remaining recruits(four-star and better) in which ND is either CURRENTLY leading or where there is no clear leader:

RB Hughes four-star - Down to ND, UI, OSU; most feel that ND is the current leader

WR/CB Tate four-star - It would shock everyone if he went anywhere but ND.

OT Romine four-star - Has been quiet on the recruiting front, but ND has as good a shot as anyone.

C/OT Summers-Gavin four-star - Down to ND and Cal with no clear favorite.

DE Wilson five-star - Down to UI, ND, OSU; UI is probably the slight leader, but came away really impressed with ND after his visit

DE Martin four-star - Down to OSU and ND; OSU is probably the leader, but ND has made up ground.

DT/DE Peters four-star - Quiet on recruiting front, but ND has as good a shot as anyone.

DT Blackwell four-star - Pretty much down to ND and LSU with no clear favorite.

LB Donald five-star - Down to ND and Tenn; both sides think they are the favorites so flip a coin.

LB/S Edwards four-star - His top three at this point are ND, Mich, and Flor with no clear favorite.

CB/S Williams four-star - Down to ND and Mich; I think Mich is a slight favorite.

S MSmith four-star - ND and USC favorites at this point; brother went to USC so they are probably favorites

S HSmith four-star - Down to ND and Tenn; ND is clear favorite.

Realistically, if ND can land half of the players listed above(including one of the two five-star prospects), that would give them four five-star recruits(with the assumption that ND lands Griffen and McKnight - highly unlikely to land both), and thirteen/fourteen four star recruits, so that would give them an almost identical class to Texas(although I think ND would get the edge because their four/five-star recruits are higher ranked). Now is this scenerio likely? No, because I still think Griffen ends up at USC and McKnight at LSU, but it certainly isn't out of the relm of possibilities. If they land one of those two guys, than they would still have an outside shot at the number one class, but it wouldn't be likely. I know that there are a lot of ifs, but Texas clearly doesn't have the top class locked up just yet. USC actually has a much better shot to knock of Texas, and I might go as far as to say that they are the slight favorites for the number one class. Any way that you slice it, these three will likely have the top classes.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 04:03 PM)
I think you meant McCray. Man, if they could pull off Hughes, Ray and Cornell...Zook should be demoted to Assistant Head Coach/Recruiter!!!

whoops. fixed.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 08:14 AM)

There is a new article that says McCray never talked to Lemming and hasn't told anyone his plans. I know there is little chance he chooses FSU, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 10:23 PM)
There is a new article that says McCray never talked to Lemming and hasn't told anyone his plans. I know there is little chance he chooses FSU, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Of course he didn't. Lemming did the whole thing in regards to that article to try and get Tez to ND and McCray to FSU. He basically was just spewing BS in order to try and give Illinois' recruiting opponents negative recruiting tools, because the a-hole is jealous of what Zook is doing recruitwise. That may sound ridiculous, but it's a fact, I mean after all, Lemming IS PAID by Notre Dame. I don't think it will work though, Illinois is in too good with these guys.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)
Of course he didn't. Lemming did the whole thing in regards to that article to try and get Tez to ND and McCray to FSU. He basically was just spewing BS in order to try and give Illinois' recruiting opponents negative recruiting tools, because the a-hole is jealous of what Zook is doing recruitwise. That may sound ridiculous, but it's a fact, I mean after all, Lemming IS PAID by Notre Dame. I don't think it will work though, Illinois is in too good with these guys.

From what I heard Lemming is a major douche, but like you said, he's a Illini lock in my opinion.

My favorite quote from the article: "I (haven't) talked to anybody named Tom."

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)
From what I heard Lemming is a major douche, but like you said, he's a Illini lock in my opinion.

My favorite quote from the article: "I (haven't) talked to anybody named Tom."

He's a douche, and I have NO IDEA why is he so jealous of this Illini class. The ND class will still be higher ranked, it's not like losing Martez and maybe Hughes to Illinois is going to kill them.

And I don't have McCray as a total lock, just feeling good about him. Now Martez Wilson and Josh Brent (who is driving 3 hours plus to announce with Tez) I have as Illini locks, based on those circumstances. A bit nervous about McCray though, but I think Illinois is the clear favorite.