Recruiting Thread

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 10:55 PM)
Hopefully, one guy begets another 4 or 5 star recruit, who begets another 4 or 5 star recruit, who begets another 4 or 5 star recruit, and so on, and so on....

THAT'S what's so great about the guy. Getting a 5 star, arguably one of the best WRs in the class over Florida State and Notre Dame...AND to a 2-7 team. THAT'S a HUGE get.

looks like that's already the case.

four-star wide receiver anthony morris (6-3, 200) out of thornton high school has also committed to the illini.

he was offered by illinois, iowa, arizona state, and west virginia.

here's his profile: anthony morris

10 minutes to benn's announcement.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
Its just one receiver...im playing dumb, but whats so great about one guy.

1) getting the number one rated recruit to come to a program like ours is going to be huge.

2) this will hopefully spur on some other recruits to come here.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
Good for the ILL

Looks like Juice and the boys could have some fun next season..

and the year after that and the year after that.....

this program's going places.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 07:03 PM)
Looks like he wanted to become a HAS BENN

HAHAHAHA

Lol that's an awfully bad joke, Wedge.

I cannot fathom why you would want to go to UofI to play football when you're a player of his caliber, but it's his decision so he must certainly have his reasons.

Great get for UofI....doubt Benn alone gets you anywhere, but you've got to start somewhere right?

QUOTE(Fotop @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 06:35 PM)

I cannot fathom why you would want to go to UofI to play football when you're a player of his caliber, but it's his decision so he must certainly have his reasons.

Great get for UofI....doubt Benn alone gets you anywhere, but you've got to start somewhere right?

eat your hat

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=1187252

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(Fotop @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 12:35 AM)

if you think benn is the first good thing to happen to illinois football you haven't been paying much attention.

Good for Benn. Hopefully he'll be able to get the Illini on some games on ESPN and ABC in the future so I can see him play. It was just a case of him wanting to start, and what's a better place than a 2-7 team that has no WR. He wants to be a go-to WR that turns into a star. Hopefully the hype around Juice becomes reality.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 06:38 PM)

The key phrase in that post revolves around Zook and a big bag of money...but I digress. Don't want to talk about shady recruiting without substantial evidence, but anything involving Locksley stinks to high heaven (this is a guy that offered Victor Abiamiri a PS2 to go to Maryland).

Again, I've got nothing other than what I've heard, so I can't draw any conclusions or convince anyone otherwise. I'm certainly metaphorically eating my hat currently.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 06:42 PM)
if you think benn is the first good thing to happen to illinois football you haven't been paying much attention.

No, I pay plenty of attention to college football. It's very easy to have the perspective presented when the bar is set so low. Granted, Zook's brought in some quality players but UofI is still quite a ways away from being successful. Unless he magically learns how to COACH a game anytime soon, he will only take you so far. Is a program being built up? for the most part yes. Will it translate to victories? That remains to be seen.

But really, have your day. Recruiting coups do not happen like this very often. Zook has exceeded his billing as a "great recruiter" on this one. But to quote Pulp Fiction, in a Bill Simmons PG-13 manner, "let's not start sucking each other's popsicles just yet".

QUOTE(Spod=Ratings @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 01:05 AM)
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees. I know he was leanin towards Illinois,but i couldnt get to excited until he commited, he was on top of my list,and now lets go out and get Martez baby!!

Oh and Eric Gordon......who's he again :huh :headbang :headbang

I knew one of you would mention him. He is considered by some to be the number 1 basketball recruit in the nation who snubbed the Illini for his hometown HOOSIERS!!!!!!!!

But to quote Pulp Fiction, in a Bill Simmons PG-13 manner, "let's not start sucking each other's popsicles just yet".

don't see where anyone suggested anything of the sort. fans like myself are happy with a great recruit joining what many college football fans would argue is an up-and-coming team. a compelling argument could be made for that.

and again, if you think all of illinois's optimism is related to benn, well, you may watch a lot of college football but i'd have to question your acumen.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 08:41 PM)
Great day for the Illini, and Benn won't be the last 5 star in this class either.....damn Zook can recruit.

Marvin Austin is close with Locks and knows Benn, so he could be coming as well. If he comes, Wilson might follow. Go get em Zooker.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 08:53 PM)
Marvin Austin is close with Locks and knows Benn, so he could be coming as well. If he comes, Wilson might follow. Go get em Zooker.

I'm hopeful on Austin due to all the connections, but he loves FSU.....Martez Wilson is a very real possibility though, and hopefully so is wrestling Josh Brent away from Ohio State (although he's a 4 star, but yeah, umm good enough lol). Gotta figure out a way to get Robert Hughes as well, RB depth is needed.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 09:53 PM)

I won't go as far as eating a hat, but I'll definately take a sig bet saying Austin is not going to UofI. All along him and Benn have said they are not a package.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 07:14 PM)
I knew one of you would mention him. He is considered by some to be the number 1 basketball recruit in the nation who snubbed the Illini for his hometown HOOSIERS!!!!!!!!

Yeah its kind of Ironic how Benn was almsot and irish lock,and then went to Illini. Maybe Gordon should have just said Illini were in front and the change his mind. It would have made it a lot less worse.

Oh and does anyone know where i can get a video of Benns commitment?

Edited by Spod=Ratings

KU is about to sign a kid named Benny Rhodes. Who is Benny Rhodes, well thats a very good question. This is Self's first under the radar guy. He goes to Mt. Zion a very good Bball prep school. He has also been recruited by UCLA and Ok State. A Small Forward who may actually stay past 2 years, which is strange for KU these days it seems.(at least what the future holds).