Recruiting Thread

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
Spoken like a true fan of those mighty Tigers. They call you guys Misery for a reason.

1. I hated Illinois before I came to Missouri.

2. Missouri football is clearly better than U of I football, don't even talk trash about football. Next year Mizzou will show that on the field.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry people, but after a couple of tight games with Juice at the helm, ESPN picked up the games. Yes, I understand that Wisco and PSU are bowl-bound teams, but are you telling me that those were the best Big Ten games those weekends, not being picked up by ABC, which, by the way, are more regional than ESPN is.

I don't know how many times I tried to turn on a Big Ten game on ABC here in Texas and I get Kansas State-Texas A&M or something like that.

ESPN KNOWS that Juice is special, and they KNOW what kind of a recruiter Zook is, and they KNOW that he isn't a great coach, but a talent like Juice, mostly his feet, will overcome some of those problems. ESPN wants to see talent and the more talent that goes to Illinois, the more they will be on.

And I think that would go for ANY Big Ten team. (see: Northwestern in '95 and '96 and Purdue with Brees).

Well I live in Illinois so Ill give you a different side of the story.

Wisconsin was not on tv once until they were in the top 25. Once they were in the top 25 they have been on every single week.

Now your second point is "ESPN wants to see talent."

Then why would Wisconsin not have been on every week?

They only have 1 important senior, everyone else is younger. PJ Hill is a freshman and is leading the Big 10 in rushing. Yet I dont come in here and say "because PJ hill is the leading big 10 rusher Wisconsin is on tv." Its because they are winning.

Juice has the 10th most passing yards in the Big 10, he has the lowest completion percentage of any starter, he has been sacked more than any other qb.

They are not putting Juice on to showcase his skills this year. You can believe what you want, but they were on because of Wisconsin and PSU.

As for "WR" being an important position. It is one of the only positions in football that is basically entirely dependent on another player. Sure they will run reverses with Benn and try and get the ball in his hands but how can you say WR is more important then OL and DL?

It just isnt, and no matter how many skill positions you have, if you dont have the bodies to line up in the trenches against UM and OSU, you are not going to win a Big 10 title.

So will Benn improve your chances to beat teams like Indiana, Northwestern, and Purdue?

But I dont think it will make a real difference against teams who have multiple 1st round players on their defenses. And that is what it takes to win the Big 10.

PSU won last year because of their defense.

We shall see what happens.

Why do you think that?

Wisconsin has a committment from the top OL this year.

It hasnt created some crazy domino effect. OSU, UM, etc still get the players they want. '

I think Zook suprised people this year. Teams like ND, FSU, etc may not have given Illinois a chance.

Lets see what happens with Martez Wilson now. You know ND is about to pick up their game.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 08:11 PM)
Why do you think that?

Wisconsin has a committment from the top OL this year.

It hasnt created some crazy domino effect. OSU, UM, etc still get the players they want. '

I think Zook suprised people this year. Teams like ND, FSU, etc may not have given Illinois a chance.

Lets see what happens with Martez Wilson now. You know ND is about to pick up their game.

We'll see how things play out...

I'm gonna enjoy it. :)

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Nov 11, 2006 -> 03:37 AM)
Honestly, as much as I agree with you non Illini fans, its not worth to try and prove your thoughts because there are so many of them that want to believe something before someone has even played a game.

Stop. This is recruiting we are talking about. Don't even try to pull the "BUT HE'S NEVER PLAYED A COLLEGE GAME BEFORE!". It's dumb, moronic, and played out

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
I dont even think it was us praising Erics game as much as it was you guys whining how he so called screwed you over?

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 07:14 PM)
I knew one of you would mention him. He is considered by some to be the number 1 basketball recruit in the nation who snubbed the Illini for his hometown HOOSIERS!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 10:13 PM)
Never did I say he was going to tear s*** up in the college game. I stated he was considered by some to be the best recruit. kcyaaaaa

But you can't get excited about him...he's never played a college game.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 08:01 PM)
Well I live in Illinois so Ill give you a different side of the story.

Wisconsin was not on tv once until they were in the top 25. Once they were in the top 25 they have been on every single week.

Now your second point is "ESPN wants to see talent."

Then why would Wisconsin not have been on every week?

They only have 1 important senior, everyone else is younger. PJ Hill is a freshman and is leading the Big 10 in rushing. Yet I dont come in here and say "because PJ hill is the leading big 10 rusher Wisconsin is on tv." Its because they are winning.

Juice has the 10th most passing yards in the Big 10, he has the lowest completion percentage of any starter, he has been sacked more than any other qb.

They are not putting Juice on to showcase his skills this year. You can believe what you want, but they were on because of Wisconsin and PSU.

As for "WR" being an important position. It is one of the only positions in football that is basically entirely dependent on another player. Sure they will run reverses with Benn and try and get the ball in his hands but how can you say WR is more important then OL and DL?

It just isnt, and no matter how many skill positions you have, if you dont have the bodies to line up in the trenches against UM and OSU, you are not going to win a Big 10 title.

So will Benn improve your chances to beat teams like Indiana, Northwestern, and Purdue?

But I dont think it will make a real difference against teams who have multiple 1st round players on their defenses. And that is what it takes to win the Big 10.

PSU won last year because of their defense.

We shall see what happens.

you're failing to see that this isn't just a one player recruiting class. Zook has put together 2 good classes already (top 25 last year) and is continuing to do that. The talent level team-wide continues to grow.

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 04:52 PM)
you're failing to see that this isn't just a one player recruiting class. Zook has put together 2 good classes already (top 25 last year) and is continuing to do that. The talent level team-wide continues to grow.

You're still going to need a good coach though. Recruiting is only part of the deal (see Ron Zook at Florida (where he was able to pull in even better talent, b/c it was Florida) and Mike Davis).

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
You're still going to need a good coach though. Recruiting is only part of the deal (see Ron Zook at Florida (where he was able to pull in even better talent, b/c it was Florida) and Mike Davis).

That's where our coordinators come into play, IMO.

With this program, i'd rather worry about getting some more talent in here first before we just learn how to coach. Because during the later Turner years we couldn't keep an in-state recruit or land any out of state talent at all.

If we have to worry about a coach later, so be it. But at least we can make it an attractive place for recruits even if Zook's selling talent is gone.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)
Im not failing to see anything.

Illini fans just seem to think 2 recruiting classes will put them on the level of Michigan and OSU.

This is not basketball.

Case in point (from another board)....

minor bowl game next season for the illini, bt title contenders year after

People keep quoting me and then saying:

"Your failing to see something."

Every time I have said that Illinios will be able to get into the upper half of the Big 10, but that it will be very hard to break into the elite.

They then respond how I dont undertsand its been 2 full seasons of top 25 recruits.

Otherwise why do people keep saying that Im missing something?

{Edit}

And I agree with Rex's posts, the implications are that Benn etc will make Illinois Big 10 title contenders.

Edited by Soxbadger

It's impossible for anybody in the Big Ten to get as good year to year as tOSU and Michigan always are, not sure why anybody would say that. The goal is to get to the Iowa/Wisconsin level, where your in really good bowl games and steal a Big 10 title once in a while on a consistent basis.