Recruiting Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Ragone, 5 star Tight End from New Jersey, is expected to commit to ND to play football tomorrow morning at 9:30am. Big kid, 6-5; 230...supposedly runs a 4.45. Recently tore an ACL, but should be ready for his senior season, hopefully he doesnt lose much speed. Considered to be the top tight end in the class of '07.

And the hits just keep on coming for ND, #1 QB and now the #1 TE. It's good to see Weis building up momentum in the recruiting department before the season.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
Mike Ragone, 5 star Tight End from New Jersey, is expected to commit to ND to play football tomorrow morning at 9:30am. Big kid, 6-5; 230...supposedly runs a 4.45. Recently tore an ACL, but should be ready for his senior season, hopefully he doesnt lose much speed. Considered to be the top tight end in the class of '07.

And the hits just keep on coming for ND, #1 QB and now the #1 TE. It's good to see Weis building up momentum in the recruiting department before the season.

Also, they have a real good chance to add Arrelious Benn who is one of the top two WRs for the 07 class. Illinois in the mix as well. Even though I am an ILL fan, ND >>>>> ILL.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 09:42 PM)
Also, they have a real good chance to add Arrelious Benn who is one of the top two WRs for the 07 class.  Illinois in the mix as well.  Even though I am an ILL fan, ND >>>>> ILL.

Benn would be nice as well, he was on campus for the spring game along with the other recruits. Looks like a monster, he'd be a great add. Like I said before, ND's new found ability to recruit skill position players is a huge plus because in the past, it's been a tough sell. Obviously, Weis has a lot to do with this; high powered offense, NFL pedigree, gives him lots of leverage on the recruiting trail.

Now if the defensive players start to fall into the fold, THAT would be amazing. We could use a little help on that side of the ball. :P Regardless, this has been quite the start to '07 recruiting. As I've been saying, and call me crazy but I believe it, I think this turns out to be one of the best recruiting classes in ND history.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 10:01 PM)
Benn would be nice as well, he was on campus for the spring game along with the other recruits. Looks like a monster, he'd be a great add. Like I said before, ND's new found ability to recruit skill position players is a huge plus because in the past, it's been a tough sell. Obviously, Weis has a lot to do with this; high powered offense, NFL pedigree, gives him lots of leverage on the recruiting trail.

Now if the defensive players start to fall into the fold, THAT would be amazing. We could use a little help on that side of the ball.  :P Regardless, this has been quite the start to '07 recruiting. As I've been saying, and call me crazy but I believe it, I think this turns out to be one of the best recruiting classes in ND history.

I don't know how saying that makes you crazy. It's all quite true, and this will be one of the great classes in ND history. BUT they do need to recruit a bit better on defense still.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
I don't know how saying that makes you crazy.  It's all quite true, and this will be one of the great classes in ND history.  BUT they do need to recruit a bit better on defense still.

It's only crazy because when ND was THE place to be, they recruited whomever they pleased. So to get back to that point in the modern era of college football is a bit more difficult. I cant really cite specific classes, but at the height of the program, ND pretty much got everyone. Therefore, I'm just saying that's some big expectations to fill.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 11:12 PM)
It's only crazy because when ND was THE place to be, they recruited whomever they pleased. So to get back to that point in the modern era of college football is a bit more difficult. I cant really cite specific classes, but at the height of the program, ND pretty much got everyone. Therefore, I'm just saying that's some big expectations to fill.

Well it's not really fair to compare to be honest. The only programs now that get anybody they want are Duke in basketball and USC in football, so for ND to be doing what they are right now despite not a whole ton of recent success (other than last year of course) is amazing.

Bloomington, Ind. - Junior college All-American Lance Stemler has signed a national letter of intent to continue his basketball career at Indiana University, head coach Kelvin Sampson announced on May 2. Stemler, a 6-8, 215-pound forward, will have two years of eligibility remaining after one-year stints at Bradley University in 2004-05 and Southwestern Illinois College (SWIC) in 2005-06.

Sampson feels Stemler is going to make an immediate impact on next year's squad.

"Lance is a first team junior college All-American and his team won 34 games last year," Sampson said. "The thing that jumped out to me is the program he came from. (SWIC Head Coach) Jay Harrington is a National Junior College Association of American (NJCAA) Hall of Famer. He is a great coach, runs a terrific, yet disciplined program and they play a team game. Lance is not a great athlete, but a very good basketball player. He can step out and shot and go inside as well. Lance is certainly a good addition for Indiana."

While at SWIC, Stemler earned NJCAA first- team All-America honors after leading his squad to 34 victories and a sixth-place finish in the NJCAA national tournament. While with the Blue Storm, Stemler averaged 22.4 points per game - a number that ranked sixth in the nation in the NJCAA. He also chipped in with 6.4 rebounds and 1.8 steals, while shooting .563 from the floor and .393 from beyond the arc.

In addition to his first team All-American accolades, Stemler earned NJCAA Region 24 Most Valuable Player and first team honors, and was selected to participate in the NJCAA All-Star game where he scored 13 points in leading his team to a 109-94 victory. Furthermore, Stemler earned the school's first-ever National Player of the Week honor on Feb. 15.

SWIC head coach Jay Harrington, who is longtime friends with Sampson after the duo served on the USA Collegiate Basketball Committee, is expecting Stemler to be a good fit as a Hoosier.

"Lance is a very skilled player and he is very knowledgeable about the game of basketball," Stemler said. "He is really an unselfish player and is a better person than he will ever be a basketball player."

Stemler joins IU signees Mike White, Armon Bassett and Xavier Keeling. Like Stemler, White, a 6-6, 245-pound power forward, was an NJCAA All-America honoree (third team) and Region co-MVP. He started all 61 games during his two-year career at Lee (Texas) College, while averaging 19.4 points, 7.4 rebounds and 2.0 blocks per contest, and also shooting an impressive .590 from the floor.

Bassett, a 6-1, 170-pound point guard from Terre Haute, Ind. (South Vigo HS and Hargrave (Va.) Military Academy) and Keeling, a 6-6, 218-pound forward from Huntsville, Ala (J.O. Johnson HS)., both are coming off outstanding high school careers. Bassett is rated as the No. 21 point guard in the class of 2006 according to rivals.com. As a senior at Terre Haute South Vigo High School, Bassett averaged 22.5 points, 6.0 rebounds and 6.0 assists. Keeling also had a standout career, averaging 17.0 points and 14.0 rebounds at J.O. Johnson High School. Keeling and current IU sophomore D.J. White were teammates with the AAU Alabama Lasers in 2003.

"When you start recruiting in the month of April, you are obviously a little behind the eight ball," Sampson said. "I told our coaches, let's not just find the best player, but let's find the best combination of student-athlete, player and person. Those are the kind of people in the long run who will be the best for you, and that's exactly what we have."

"When you start recruiting in the month of April, you are obviously a little behind the eight ball," Sampson said. "I told our coaches, let's not just find the best player, but let's find the best combination of student-athlete, player and person. Those are the kind of people in the long run who will be the best for you, and that's exactly what we have."

heh

Wisconsin Football has committments from Al Toon's son, Nick Toon, and Josh Ogelsby one of the top OL in the nation. Both are in-state players so it's not that suprising Wisconsin got them. The real question will be about the RB Clay, who is supposedly the best RB the state of Wisconsin has ever produced.

There is a lot of talk with ND and Michigan already getting big time QB prospects, that Wisconsin may benefit and get a guy that wanted to go to one of those schools.

Alot of the top QB's in the nation have already chosen, guys like Claussen, Korn, Mallett, Paulus, Brantley, Forcier, Lalich, etc have started the domino effect and it should end up with a few more commitments pretty soon as QB spots are running out. With Pat Bostick almost a lock for Pittsburgh and could commit anytime, you could have 4 of the top 5 and as much as 8 of the top 10 gone before June rolls around.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ May 2, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)
Wisconsin Football has committments from Al Toon's son, Nick Toon, and Josh Ogelsby one of the top OL in the nation. Both are in-state players so it's not that suprising Wisconsin got them. The real question will be about the RB Clay, who is supposedly the best RB the state of Wisconsin has ever produced.

There is a lot of talk with ND and Michigan already getting big time QB prospects, that Wisconsin may benefit and get a guy that wanted to go to one of those schools.

Ogelsby is a beast, he's a great get for Wisconsin...just sucks we couldn't poach him from your backyard :P

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 2, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)

heh

1. So he doesn't want the best player? Yeah that's great to hear I'm sure if your an Indiana fan.

2. KELVIN SAMPSON wants the best true student athletes?? :lol: :huh: :rolly

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 3, 2006 -> 02:57 AM)
1. So he doesn't want the best player?  Yeah that's great to hear I'm sure if your an Indiana fan.

2. KELVIN SAMPSON wants the best true student athletes??  :lol:  :huh:  :rolly

1) Obviously he didn't mean it like that. I think you missed the word "just" in that sentence. He is certainly going to go after the top players, but he wants quality individuals and students as well. You can take it with a grain of salt though since most coaches say that, but few actually follow up on it.

2) It will be interesting to see how Sampson adjusts to the atmosphere at IU. The academics are a little better at IU opposed to OU, so we will see if Sampson continues to go after JC players with checkered backgrounds. IU fans obviously want good players, but good character as well, which is the reasoning behind the statement you highlighted.

Only time will tell.

I stated earlier that Benn is a heavy lean towards ND and I still feel that he is ND's to loss, but word on the street is that his teammate/friend DT Austin(rivals top 100) wasn't impressed with the ND campus and could be heading elsewhere(unfortunate since ND really needs DT). Some fell that the two are a package deal, although I recently read an article that said that Benn would go to a different school then Austin. However, I read another article that hinted that Benn wanted to be the main man from day 1(one of the reasons he like ND with the loss of their top 2 receivers next year). Some have read that to mean that if fellow top 100 recruit Karama commits to ND that Benn might look elsewhere. It appears that Karama is a near lock for ND, and he could be a real get(6'5 210lb 4.5 40). It will be interesting to see how things unfold, and makes you wonder about what information is legit. Personally, I am not to worried about receivers since I have a feeling that Weis will have to beat them away with a stick in the near future with his offensive mind and top QB recruit. If Weis can get the defensive players to match the offensive talent he is bringing in, than watch out. ND is appartently getting in the thick of it with a very talented DT from Florida. He appears to be leaning towards Florida, but he said that ND has made up a lot of ground and is going to make his decision tough. I love recruiting season, especially when ND make the final list of so many top prospects.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ May 1, 2006 -> 02:42 AM)
Also, they have a real good chance to add Arrelious Benn who is one of the top two WRs for the 07 class.  Illinois in the mix as well.  Even though I am an ILL fan, ND >>>>> ILL.

I really don't know a nicer way of putting this, but Marvin Austin isn't the kind of student/athlete that ND looks for. If there was ever a Warren Sapp clone, its Marvin Austin. Marvin never stops running his mouth with self-praise.

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ May 10, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
As expected, Duval Karama(WR) commits to ND. Not much of a surprise. If they can land Benn as well, than they will have some serious pass catching weapons with the current #1 rated TE(Ragone), top 100 prospect(Karama), and #1 rated WR(Benn).

If only they could get some highly related guys on the other side of the ball.

That is certainly the big question. I had little doubt that Weis would be able to recruit top offensive players with his track record in the NFL, but in order to take ND to the elite status he will need to get defensive players to match the offensive talent. He did a good job with the secondary in last years recruiting class, but really needs to pull in 2 good DT and a couple of LBs. I am not one of those ND fans that claim that Weis is the 2nd coming after a solid season and 1 great recruiting class, especially if he can't pull some solid defensive players for this class, but I must say that ND appears to be heading down the right track. Plus it doesn't hurt to have 3 top 100 prospects verbal this early in the recruiting season, even if they are all on the offensive side of the ball.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ May 11, 2006 -> 12:37 AM)
If only they could get some highly related guys on the other side of the ball.

I know Illinois has really came hard to sign E'twaun "schmoove" Moore. He really has no leader and some schools like Georgia Tech, Mich. ST. Ohio ST. and UCONN are sniffing around hard now. Tennesee, Illinois, Pudrue, Indiana, Cincy, Miami (Fla), & Iowa all are pushing for an early sign, but there is little chance of that until after the summer. He has been blowing up already and has seen his rivals ranking soar to #30 overall. From talking to him and others at E.C. Central I get the feeling that he likes Tennesee with their style and Pearl, but all bets are off with his improved jump shot being displayed this summer.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 19, 2006 -> 08:53 AM)
When the first top 25 comes out.

So when OSU is number 1 in the nation?? Ok good. Also did everyone see that OSU at Iowa is a NIGHT game?