Recruiting Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
How do you know?

I don't have a source or anything, but Eric Gordon from North Central HS in Indiana said after he signed with Illinois, his top priority would be to get Rose to sign as well.

from today's sun-times, this will be an interesting watch.

Jordan vs. Gordon in ESPN showcase

Loyola Academy has signed a contract to play Indianapolis North Central on ESPN next season.

North Central, led by Illinois recruit Eric Gordon, defeated Class AA state champion Simeon in January at the Indianapolis Circle City Classic.

North Central will host Loyola, which is expected to feature both of Michael Jordan's sons, Jeff, a senior, and Marcus, a sophomore.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 02:24 AM)
Prospects are still somewhat enamored with Friedgen at Maryland. He's led MD to a 31-18 record the last 4 years, with the last two seasons at 5-6 with no QB. He's supposed to be an offensive genius, but that luster is wearing off somewhat after the past two season's dismal QB play.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Benn end up at Illinois. Especially with Vontae Davis at Illinois, as well as Juice. You have a teammate, great recruiting coach, and a 5 star caliber QB recruiting you, not bad. The Illini have had as much of a claim on the DC area as any other school in the nation recently.

Not to bring down the hope of Illinois football fans, but most of the inside articles I have read indicates that Benn is favoring ND at this point(a lot can happen/change over the next couple of months though). Furthermore, with Classen giving his verbal today most experts expect the flood gates to open in terms of top recruits committing to ND, especially offensive recruits. Benn is in South Bend for the Blue-Gold game along with a handful of other top recruits and word on the street is that Classen is already making a pitch to Benn and other top recruits(this weekend). Based on all the information I have gathered, I would be extremely surprised if Benn ends up anywhere but ND. Take it with a grain of salt if you like. I know that finishing 2nd in terms of a top recruit is like kissing your sister, but it is certainly a step in the right direction for Illinois to make the final list for top recruits like Benn. Who knows, maybe he will surprise us all and go to Illinois. Whoever gets him will be very lucky, because the video I have seen of this guy makes him look like a man amongst boys. His combo of size and speed is sick.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 12:19 AM)
I know nothing about him, but my guess is it's a shocker because he's really good.  :P

Iowa State Football coach Dan McCarney has pulled out a big win in the recruiting circles. Iowa State will announce that Omaha native, Phillip Bates, has committed to joining the Cyclone team. Phillip is considered to be the top QB out of Nebraska and was considered a lock for the Huskers. Phillip let the ISU coaching staff know on Saturday that he is committed to the ISU program and it's coaches. Other schools that tried to sign Phillip include Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas State, Miami, Oklahoma, and Auburn. Bates is a dual-threat QB/Runner and is considered to be one of Iowa State's biggest signees of recent times, according to several sources inside the football program.

:huh

Haha exactly!! He's really good, really good players don't play football at Iowa State!! ;)

But in all seriousness, reading up on this guy, sounds like everybody thought he was the born and bred Nebraska kid that would go be the hero for the Huskers, and then all of a sudden he picks Iowa State. Methinks maybe Callahan took him for granted and got burned for it.

Certainly strange, ain't it.

06 Meyer (Jr.) Arnaud (RS)

07 Meyer (Sr.) Arnaud (Fr.) Bates (RS)

08 Arnaud (So.) Bates (Fr.)

09 Arnaud (Jr.) Bates (So.)

10 Arnaud (Sr.) Bates (Jr.)

11 Bates (Sr.)

So, it'll be interesting to see Arnaud and Bates duke it out. They'll luck out in 08 and 09 without Texas, OU and TTU on the sched.

Bates is the son of Phillip Bates, Sr. who played at Nebraska and with the Detroit Lions and Kansas City Chiefs. He is also the cousin of current Omaha North assistant coach and former Husker, Clinton Childs. In 2005, Bates broke his school record for total yards in one season.

So I was sitting at lunch today, and Kelvin Sampson walks up to our table and takes Scott Martin aside to say hello. He drove up four hours just to say hello to Scotty because that's all that is legal at this stage in recruiting I guess. Apparently he met with Rob Hummel too, so that could be good news for you IU fans. Scotty was thrilled to have Sampson come to meet with him, it was a really random but awesome thing.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 08:28 AM)
Also from the "coming out of nowhere" department, stud 2006 forward Tyler Smith picks Iowa.  GREAT pickup for the Hawks assuming he qualifies, congrats to the Iowa fans on here.

We're holding out hope Steve Alford coaches him for his time at Iowa..... :P

Not that any others care, but I just HAD to post this. UNC got a commitment today from Mike Paulus. One of the top QB's in the nation, and USC's top QB target after Claussen chose ND. As a big bonus as well, Greg Little, one of the top 5 WR's in the nation and 100 players in the nation is very high on UNC and wanted to be a package with Paulus.

"Paulus also made a phone call to Southern Cal head coach Pete Carroll to inform him of the decision.

"Coach Carroll was very classy, he said 'You're unbelievable, we wish we could have had you - North Carolina is really lucky because you're going to be very good.'"

In addition to finalists UNC and USC, Paulus received more than 30 scholarship offers, which included Tennessee, LSU, Miami and Alabama. And although Signing Day "

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)
Not that any others care, but I just HAD to post this. UNC got a commitment today from Mike Paulus. One of the top QB's in the nation, and USC's top QB target after Claussen chose ND. As a big bonus as well, Greg Little, one of the top 5 WR's in the nation and 100 players in the nation is very high on UNC and wanted to be a package with Paulus.

"Paulus also made a phone call to Southern Cal head coach Pete Carroll to inform him of the decision.

"Coach Carroll was very classy, he said 'You're unbelievable, we wish we could have had you - North Carolina is really lucky because you're going to be very good.'"

In addition to finalists UNC and USC, Paulus received more than 30 scholarship offers, which included Tennessee, LSU, Miami and Alabama. And although Signing Day "

He opted for UNC over USC?

That poor bastard.

Is he dyslexic? Is he sure he signed the right sheet?

UNC has a top notch business school, top notch offensive coordinator, top notch facilities, bowl caliber team, and several top 25 recruiting classes over the past 5 years. UNC is a football giant waiting to happen, ala Florida in the 80's. UNC was a great program not even 10 years ago with back to back top 10 rankings in 1996-1997. Not to mention UNC is tied for the most 1,000 yard backs out of any team in college, USC finally tied UNC last year with the addition of Bush and White. Also, UNC has been in the top 10 in NFL players for the past 10-15 years.

UNC will have a chance to have the best WR class in the nation this year as well, with one of the top 10 WR's in the nation already committed, and another, Greg Little, in great shape. Tough to turn down USC's success, but some kids want to build something special, instead of just being another 4-5 star.