Recruiting Thread

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 10:04 AM)
Jim Les, give it up for the former Don Of Notre Dame High School.

Two things: I just read on Yahoo that O.J. Mayo and one other prospect are thinking about following Huggins wherever he goes, which, as of late last night, will be Kansas St.

Also, what's up with Derrick Rose?  I'm just really, really hoping he decides to play with Gordon at Illinois.  Has he decided on somewhere?  Are talks off with the Illini?

Thanks.

O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker are the #1 and #2 players in the nation in the class of 2007. Mayo is a PG and Walker a SF, and expect both to end up at K-State. There are actually a few others (5 star center Jason Bennett of Florida, class of 2006 for one) who are expected to follow Huggie bear, so K-State shouldn't be short on talent that's for sure.

As for Rose, the more that comes out the more it sounds like it's between UNC and Illinois. If the rumors I've heard are true, I'll predict he ends up at UNC, but Simeon has been a nice place for Illinois in the past and their current coach is one of the few CPL coaches that likes Weber, so the Illini definitely have a shot.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

speaking of o.j. mayo, he was suspended by his school for tonight's state semifinal game. no word on what caused the suspension and whether it will carry over to tomorrow if nch makes the final game.

there are rumors, but now they are just that.

mayo no mo

O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker are the #1 and #2 players in the nation in the class of 2007.

Walker is very good, but Michael Beasley is the number 2 player in the class. He's a 6'8 230 pound SF/PF hybrid with insane athletecism. Charlotte got them a great one, pays off to recruit these kids really early, just in case.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 08:35 PM)
Walker is very good, but Michael Beasley is the number 2 player in the class. He's a 6'8 230 pound SF/PF hybrid with insane athletecism. Charlotte got them a great one, pays off to recruit these kids really early, just in case.

Hehe well who is #2 depends on which site you frequent ;). Beasley is definitely a great player, can't believe he's going to freaking Charlotte.

Yep, rivals has him at #2 for some reason. He's got alot of stuff to work on, but he's very athletic, I'll give him that. He just really has to get a better handle, outside shot, and find desire for defense. Top 5 players in a class are supposed to be elite post players, or complete guards/wings, and unfortunately Walker isn't either. But hey, he's athletic as hell and OJ Mayo's teammate. I know you were just quoting Rivals rankings, and I'm not getting on you about it, I just can't stand Rivals rankings. There's not a chance in hell that Walker is a better prospect than Kevin Love, Michael Beasley, and Derrick Rose. Heck even Eric Gordon is arguably a better player, as he's almost as athletic, and has a pretty complete game. Walker has as much potential as any player in the class, but if Rivals is going to put potential at the top, then I can't see how Corey Stokes, a JR Smith clone, isn't in their top 25.

Fun new rumor that K-State and Huggins will be landing the #2 player in 07 class Michael Beasley, when he hires Dalonte Hill onto the staff, who is Beasley's main contact from Charlotte. Huggins is sleazy as hell, but damn he might be landing the top 3 players in the class according to Rivals rankings and 3 of the top 6 in Scout's rankings in 07.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 05:16 PM)
Fun new rumor that K-State and Huggins will be landing the #2 player in 07 class Michael Beasley, when he hires Dalonte Hill onto the staff, who is Beasley's main contact from Charlotte. Huggins is sleazy as hell, but damn he might be landing the top 3 players in the class according to Rivals rankings and 3 of the top 6 in Scout's rankings in 07.

Where did you hear this? That would be amazing if they landed all 3. I don't see it happening, though.

Edit: Nevermind. I see it now.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

I think it's interesting that Huggins is in such good position with so many top players all of the sudden. He was never that good a high school recruiter at Cinci. Most of his major additions were from the JuCo ranks, and his most highly touted recruit was probably James White, a transfer.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 01:49 PM)
I think it's interesting that Huggins is in such good position with so many top players all of the sudden. He was never that good a high school recruiter at Cinci. Most of his major additions were from the JuCo ranks, and his most highly touted recruit was probably James White, a transfer.

He had no recruiting restrictions on him from the time Cincy canned him until K-State hired him. God only knows what he was doing during that time.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
He had no recruiting restrictions on him from the time Cincy canned him until K-State hired him.  God only knows what he was doing during that time.

I understand that's a major reason, but you'd still think it'd take some recruiting ability to get guys that good to go to a school with as little prestige as K-State. It's scary, this group looks like it might rival the Fab Five by the time he's done.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 09:30 PM)
I understand that's a major reason, but you'd still think it'd take some recruiting ability to get guys that good to go to a school with as little prestige as K-State. It's scary, this group looks like it might rival the Fab Five by the time he's done.

i think a lot of it just has to do with him having a relationship with mayo and walker for quite some time. those guys are almost like pied pipers in that people want to play with them. i think in part that's the reason so many kids are looking that way.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)

I was thinking the same thing. More power to him, I guess. I didn't think he would be able to land all these guys. Looks like I was wrong.

2 pieces of recruiting news. MAC Freshmen of the year Maurice Acker (5'8 point guard) will transfer to Marquette following the firing of Ball State's head coach. He will redshirt as a transfer next year and have 3 years of eligibility at Marquette starting in 2007-2008. That backcourt of Dominic James, Jerel McNeal, Wes Matthews, and now Maurice Acker (and Scott Christopherson, a top 100 national recruit from Wisconsin at guard coming in the class of 2007)....yikes.

Also, SIU added a verbal in class of 2006 combo guard Tyrone Green of Southeastern Illinois CC. He is a pretty big guard at 6'3, 205 who is very athletic, a good defender, and can create his own shot according to scouting reports. Sounds like a solid fit for SIU, and will fit in perfectly in this SIU class going along with 6 foot sharp shooter Joshua Bone of Nashville.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 10:57 PM)
Also, SIU added a verbal in class of 2006 combo guard Tyrone Green of Southeastern Illinois CC.  He is a pretty big guard at 6'3, 205 who is very athletic, a good defender, and can create his own shot according to scouting reports.  Sounds like a solid fit for SIU, and will fit in perfectly in this SIU class going along with 6 foot sharp shooter Joshua Bone of Nashville.

Yup, he was being recruited pretty hard by UNLV and I believe Tennessee as well. Sounds like his one weakness is shooting...so hey he'll fit right in. I'm still extremely excited about Bone, he's exactly what we need.

2 pieces of recruiting news.  MAC Freshmen of the year Maurice Acker (5'8 point guard) will transfer to Marquette following the firing of Ball State's head coach.  He will redshirt as a transfer next year and have 3 years of eligibility at Marquette starting in 2007-2008.  That backcourt of Dominic James, Jerel McNeal, Wes Matthews, and now Maurice Acker (and Scott Christopherson, a top 100 national recruit from Wisconsin at guard coming in the class of 2007)....yikes.

Acker will rejoin his high school teammate in McNeal. I bet that's why he decided to go to Marquette.

2 pieces of recruiting news.  MAC Freshmen of the year Maurice Acker (5'8 point guard) will transfer to Marquette following the firing of Ball State's head coach.  He will redshirt as a transfer next year and have 3 years of eligibility at Marquette starting in 2007-2008.  That backcourt of Dominic James, Jerel McNeal, Wes Matthews, and now Maurice Acker (and Scott Christopherson, a top 100 national recruit from Wisconsin at guard coming in the class of 2007)....yikes.

Uh, one of the last things they need is more guards. They need to find some competent bigs.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 11:17 PM)
Just finished watching the game.  Let me just say this: Greg Oden could START for half the teams in the NBA.  No,  that is not an exaggeration.  I've already conceeded the Big Ten regular season/tournament title to OSU.

Next year is an Illini transition year anyways, so meh. Oden will be gone after next season anyways. I've been saying since Oden's JUNIOR year that he could start for at least 3/5 of NBA teams, but people think that's crazy talk. Dude is the best HS Center since Lew Alcindor.

Acker will rejoin his high school teammate in McNeal. I bet that's why he decided to go to Marquette.

You are correct sir, that is apparently a huge factor.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 11:39 PM)
Next year is an Illini transition year anyways, so meh.  Oden will be gone after next season anyways.  I've been saying since Oden's JUNIOR year that he could start for at least 3/5 of NBA teams, but people think that's crazy talk.  Dude is the best HS Center since Lew Alcindor.

You are correct sir, that is apparently a huge factor.

It's not crazy at all. This guy is unbelievably special, I really don't know any other way to put it.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 11:39 PM)
Uh,  one of the last things they need is more guards.  They need to find some competent bigs.

You are correct, and they aren't adressing that problem in recruiting at all, which is a huge problem. However that group of guards will be one of the best in the nation, and that alone should keep them afloat to win a lot of games. This years Marquette team had nothing inside either and still did pretty well after all (all Novak was was a 6'10 guard basically, he couldn't defend at all and never went inside).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 11:43 PM)
I think there is a very real chance Oden is going to Carmeloize Ohio State next year (and yes Oden has a lot of help too, but so did Carmelo with Duany, Warrick, McNamara, etc).

He's definitely got a chance but man..college basketball is going to be so up next year compared to this year in terms of the talent level.