Recruiting Thread

Hazelton is going to take his time with his decision now. His dad told him not to make a choice yet, because he was still confused. I wouldn't be suprised to see him enroll at PSU later.

If he does, Penn State absolutely raked em in this year. Ive heard a lot of things about him switching sides. I'd like him to go to Penn State b/c I hate USC, but his Dad needs to butt the f*** out.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 05:07 PM)
I'm so lame, I've been sitting here since 3:30 watching the coaches talk about the players on fightingillini.com.  Oh, and my sig >>> your avatar.

:)

Haha today has been wild. I had to go into the computer lab at my lunch hour to check the blog on fightingillini.com

And you're sig is badass but I have to rep Juiceeeeeeeee.

Penn State obviously would have loved to have Hazelton, but they still have a top 5 to 10 class nationally and #1 in the Big Ten. This class BLOWS AWAY the one last year that did a lot in helping them go 11-1, win the Big Ten, and win the Orange Bowl, which is a scary thought.

Penn State loses a ton of vets going into next year, but they are reloading with what might be even more talented players. Not to hate on JoePa, but it's CLEAR he's just a figurehead now letting the assistants run the show, NO WAY IN HELL he could put together a class like this.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 04:56 PM)
Not to be picky, but PSU had the best class in the Big 10, atleast on paper. But like usual, we will see who really had the best classes in the nation 3 years from now.

I have PSU as third behind OSU and Michigan. 7, 9 and 10 respectively, am I wrong?

My Linebacker coach in High School was heavily recruited by Penn State his Soph. year, and even though his heart was in Mich. he said he visited Penn State due to loyalty.

He said JoePa was one of the funneist guys ever.

What I'm saying is JoePa might be a bigger draw now.. the guy does appeal to people more.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

Hazelton signed anyways? Thats very odd, as here are quotes from today.

“There are a few reasons as to why we are choosing to do this,” Dexter Hazelton said. “The deadline is not until April, so we have time to make the decision. Vidal can make his decision today, but it won’t matter until I sign it.”

Vidal Hazelton, the nation’s No. 1 rated wide receiver has originally committed to the Trojans of USC, but has had some second thoughts over the weeks leading up to today. The 6-foot-3, 200 pound, wide receiver from Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va., was still up in the air about his decision today. The dilema was which school would he choose USC or Penn State. His father wants him to take his time and not make a mistake or a rush judgment.

“I think if we wait it will give us a chance to get to know these coaches a little bit better,” Dexter Hazelton said. “My son needs to learn some discipline. I know if he signs today, he could change his mind tomorrow. If he decided to attend USC I’m 100% behind him, but if that’s exactly what he wants and he is not making the decision under duress. So myself nr my wife are signing anything. We are going to sit down as a family and weigh everything out.

"

NIU announced their class now. Of the 17 guys, 15 have been verbals for a few months now, so not much recent action. It's also a small class since NIU was SO young last year. NIU did lose Bryant to Morgan Park and Diondre Jenkins to Wisconsin (ugh) but snagged all starter Alex Kube from Ball State and brought in Billy Lowe, who was QB for the 14-0 undefeated national championship team in Lakeland, Florida last year. As usual, NIU will keep having the best talent in the MAC, hopefully they stop coming up with new ways to blow winning the league title. The name to watch from this list is Ricky Crider of IN, he's a Garrett Wolfe clone.

http://www3.niu.edu/athletics/football/agate05/NLI2-1.html

Interesting, more fallout from Marcus Vick. This from LaSean McCoy the #5 RB in the nation, who committed to Miami, but was leaning to VT beforehand.

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/495991.html

Virginia Tech was also considered for a long time to be a favorite and the most likely destiny for the top player in Pennsylvania.

“I did like Virginia Tech, but the whole Marcus Vick thing turned me off of them,” he said.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)
Penn State obviously would have loved to have Hazelton, but they still have a top 5 to 10 class nationally and #1 in the Big Ten.  This class BLOWS AWAY the one last year that did a lot in helping them go 11-1, win the Big Ten, and win the Orange Bowl, which is a scary thought. 

Penn State loses a ton of vets going into next year, but they are reloading with what might be even more talented players.  Not to hate on JoePa, but it's CLEAR he's just a figurehead now letting the assistants run the show, NO WAY IN HELL he could put together a class like this.

That's the point. PSU started heading back in the right direction when JoePa realized he NEEDED to let his assistants do their jobs and NOT try to run everything. The statement you made actually shows that the old guy can still coach a big time program and is able to adapt to do so. I'm sure some PSU fans wished he wised up sooner, but the changes at Penn State are a good thing. How in the hell do you think Bobby Bowden keeps winning?

Just because an old coach isn't as active on the sidelines, doesn't mean he isn't running his program. You don't see the CEO of McDonald's flipping burgers or hiring cashiers. Managers manage.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 11:12 PM)
If he does, Penn State absolutely raked em in this year.  Ive heard a lot of things about him switching sides.  I'd like him to go to Penn State b/c I hate USC, but his Dad needs to butt the f*** out.

Exactly, who the hell does a kid's dad think he is being involved in his son's decisions. Geez, why can't parents just learn to stay the f*** out of their kid's lives. Teenagers know everything already, why do they need their parents?

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 11:53 PM)
Exactly, who the hell does a kid's dad think he is being involved in his son's decisions.  Geez, why can't parents just learn to stay the f*** out of their kid's lives.  Teenagers know everything already, why do they need their parents?

:lol: Well said rex. Obviously it's his choice but if he's having trouble deciding why wouldnt his dad tell him to take more time?

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
Interesting, more fallout from Marcus Vick. This from LaSean McCoy the #5 RB in the nation, who committed to Miami, but was leaning to VT beforehand.

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/495991.html

Virginia Tech was also considered for a long time to be a favorite and the most likely destiny for the top player in Pennsylvania.

“I did like Virginia Tech, but the whole Marcus Vick thing turned me off of them,” he said.

I wouldn't want a player who is turned off by a school taking a stand against a classless thug anyways.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 11:53 PM)
Exactly, who the hell does a kid's dad think he is being involved in his son's decisions.  Geez, why can't parents just learn to stay the f*** out of their kid's lives.  Teenagers know everything already, why do they need their parents?

^^^

This is priceless.

Had me holding my sides.

So, to anyone that has a grasp on basketball recruiting.....or anyone from Minnesota....do I have reason to be excited about Cory Johnson in the ISU frontcourt next year. A starting lineup of Blalock.Stinson.Clark+Johnson/Hubalek/Taggart/Gray/Marsden, not to mention Carr, Degand, Westbrook and Stinnett off the bench would mean a possible 12 man rotation. Holy crap.