Recruiting Thread

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
So, to anyone that has a grasp on basketball recruiting.....or anyone from Minnesota....do I have reason to be excited about Cory Johnson in the ISU frontcourt next year. A starting lineup of Blalock.Stinson.Clark+Johnson/Hubalek/Taggart/Gray/Marsden, not to mention Carr, Degand, Westbrook and Stinnett off the bench would mean a possible 12 man rotation. Holy crap.

I'd be more excited about Stinnett and Westbrook, they are both EXPLOSIVE scorers who would have been recruited by every school in the country if they were a bit taller. Johnson is your typical skinny white kid from an area with inferior HS competition who is going to need a year or two before he's strong enough to contribute in a major league. However I think Johnson will be a very nice player, just not right away, whereas the 2 guards have the explosiveness to help ASAP.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
So, to anyone that has a grasp on basketball recruiting.....or anyone from Minnesota....do I have reason to be excited about Cory Johnson in the ISU frontcourt next year. A starting lineup of Blalock.Stinson.Clark+Johnson/Hubalek/Taggart/Gray/Marsden, not to mention Carr, Degand, Westbrook and Stinnett off the bench would mean a possible 12 man rotation. Holy crap.

you don't want a 12 man rotation.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
Here is something interesting from the UCLA Bruins message boards.

This story was posted on Bruin Nation:

"The story has been going around today that ESPN the Magazine has "outed" former ESPN personality and recruiting guru Tom Lemming as a Notre Dame shill. The excerpt comes from an article on Rivals top 10 player and all-everything cornerback Myron Rolle, a highly regarded player who is also making a name as one of the most well spoken and articulate 5* recruits to ever come down the pike. And it reads as follows:

"Tom Lemming is a huge Notre Dame guy," Myron says. "He kept saying to me, `You know they have a great coaching staff. You know Charlie Weis is Mr. NFL. You're an academic guy. That place is for you.' Then he killed Florida State. He said, `You're stupid if you go there.' Um, okay. Thanks."

The article is raising eyebrows across the internet, which surprises me, because outing Tom Lemming as a Notre Dame shill is like outing me as a guy who likes cookies. Lorenzo Booker made exactly the same accusation (about Lemming, not me), but he didn't have a 4.0 GPA, and he was going to FSU and enough people were able to write it off as "typical loudmouth Seminole ... probably got @#%$ 'cause Lemming dropped him in the rankings.""

Link to a radio interview with Booker and Lemming. Lemming is a toolLINK

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 11:38 AM)
I'd be more excited about Stinnett and Westbrook, they are both EXPLOSIVE scorers who would have been recruited by every school in the country if they were a bit taller.  Johnson is your typical skinny white kid from an area with inferior HS competition who is going to need a year or two before he's strong enough to contribute in a major league.  However I think Johnson will be a very nice player, just not right away, whereas the 2 guards have the explosiveness to help ASAP.

Thing is, they're behind two guys named Blalock and Stinson so i don't know how much time they'll get. If they are indeed that good, however, they'll make it happen.

ISU is hurting a lot more for agressive post play right now, and he looks like he could become someone like Homan except 3 inches shorter.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 11:38 AM)
you don't want a 12 man rotation.

Well, no, that was more a comment on ISU having depth for the first time in years.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
Thing is, they're behind two guys named Blalock and Stinson so i don't know how much time they'll get. If they are indeed that good, however, they'll make it happen.

ISU is hurting a lot more for agressive post play right now, and he looks like he could become someone like Homan except 3 inches shorter.

Ahh, well I didn't know Blalock and Stinson will be back, you'll have a lot of depth in the backcourt then. Johnson plays a lot more like a 3, if you put him on the wing he might be able to help right away. But he's got A LOT of weight room work to do if he plans on playing in the post, and even then he's still only 6'7.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)
Ahh, well I didn't know Blalock and Stinson will be back, you'll have a lot of depth in the backcourt then.  Johnson plays a lot more like a 3, if you put him on the wing he might be able to help right away. But he's got A LOT of weight room work to do if he plans on playing in the post, and even then he's still only 6'7.

I really don't think either will go pro. Clark has his claim at the 3, but ISU has played many times before with a 6-7 at 4. At times when Fizer was here, he'd play center at 6-8.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say Texas A&M isn't happy this kid said this...

"They take care of you down there," McCoy said. "I know from my brother they keep your pockets full, give you plenty of money, keep feeding you meals. Besides that all the help they give you with football. They keep you on your grades with private tutoring. Just good all-around."

http://www.mywesttexas.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=475011&rfi=6

:lolhitting :lolhitting

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 06:06 PM)
Anything you Chicagoans can tell me about Koshwal?

Well he goes to the fradulent "Boys to Men Academy" in Chicago because he is not eligible to play HS basketball in the state of Illinois (but went to boys to men since they will take anybody and aren't an IHSA member). He's a consensus 4 star recruit, but he'd probably be a 5 if he was still at Julian. Also, Koshwal's stock has been down a bit because at 6'8, 240 he has ideal PF size, but he has shown consistenly to be a very good 5 player, who struggles playing the 4.

But...with all that said, this kid is still very strong, still very highly regarded, and still has an excellent skill set. If he can get his off the court issues together (which scared off DePaul and Illinois, allowing Iowa State to take the clear lead to get him since they have stuck with him), he could be a hell of a player.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 07:19 PM)
Well he goes to the fradulent "Boys to Men Academy" in Chicago because he is not eligible to play HS basketball in the state of Illinois (but went to boys to men since they will take anybody and aren't an IHSA member).  He's a consensus 4 star recruit, but he'd probably be a 5 if he was still at Julian.  Also, Koshwal's stock has been down a bit because at 6'8, 240 he has ideal PF size, but he has shown consistenly to be a very good 5 player, who struggles playing the 4.

But...with all that said, this kid is still very strong, still very highly regarded, and still has an excellent skill set.  If he can get his off the court issues together (which scared off DePaul and Illinois, allowing Iowa State to take the clear lead to get him since they have stuck with him), he could be a hell of a player.

Morgan has no problem recruiting players with issues....Kellen Lee.....Ivan Chiriaev....Reggie George...

Then he comes up with guys like Farnold Degand who are smart as f***.

I'm hoping that ISU can just start a process next year where they just reload instead of rebuilding. In 2007 it'll be a team of Westbrook, Degand, Stinnett, Clark, Johnson, Hubalek, Taggart and the like. Excuse me if I get excited.

I just hope the recruits can play defense.

illinois is apparently interested in combo guard derwin kitchen out of florida for its final 2006 scholarship. much like ramar smith and leon freeman, kitchen is a very talented player with some academic issues.

kitchen initially signed with florida but has spent this year at a prep school. he was a four-star recruit last year for the gators.

here is a link with a mention of this (second brief down):

gainesville sun

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 06:26 PM)
Can someone just give me a real quick list of 06' recruits for the Illini (BB).

You don't have to go in-depth if you don't want to.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=169&p=9&cfg=bb&c=8&yr=2006

That's a list of the commits.

The prospects at this point are Leon Freeman and Ramar Smith, both 6-4 SG from Michigan, though they both have grade issues. Patrick Beverley 6-2 SG from Marshall in Chicago (though he and his coach have been upset with Weber for not making an offer yet).

That's just off the top of my head. Weber could still bank the scholarship and use it next year, and I have no idea if Weber is recruiting an Junior College guys (I think that recruitment usually picks up in April though I could be wrong about that). Hope that helps.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 06:54 PM)

The prospects at this point are Leon Freeman and Ramar Smith, both 6-4 SG from Michigan, though they both have grade issues.  Patrick Beverley 6-2 SG from Marshall in Chicago (though he and his coach have been upset with Weber for not making an offer yet).

That's just off the top of my head.  Weber could still bank the scholarship and use it next year, and I have no idea if Weber is recruiting an Junior College guys (I think that recruitment usually picks up in April though I could be wrong about that).  Hope that helps.

Patrick Beverley is not an option and I for one am glad about that.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 07:03 PM)
Patrick Beverley is not an option and I for one am glad about that.

Is that confirmed? I mean I know what he said in the paper and all, but I'm curious as to what would happen if Bruce decided to offer.

As far as whether it's wise or not, I've never seen him play, so I can't comment on that.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 06:54 PM)

The prospects at this point are Leon Freeman and Ramar Smith, both 6-4 SG from Michigan, though they both have grade issues.  Patrick Beverley 6-2 SG from Marshall in Chicago (though he and his coach have been upset with Weber for not making an offer yet).

That's just off the top of my head.  Weber could still bank the scholarship and use it next year, and I have no idea if Weber is recruiting an Junior College guys (I think that recruitment usually picks up in April though I could be wrong about that).  Hope that helps.

You can't see the list if you aren't a member.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 07:14 PM)
You can't see the list if you aren't a member.

Oh, sorry about that.

The commits are Brian Carlwell, a 6-10 C from Proviso East ranked as the 5th best center in the country and Richard Semrau, a 6-9 power forward from Ohio. Carlwell is a raw center that is very athletic, Semrau is supposed to be a good shooter.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 12:26 AM)
Can someone just give me a real quick list of 06' recruits for the Illini (BB).

You don't have to go in-depth if you don't want to.

as of now the two recruits are 6-9/6-10 (heard varying reports) forward richard semrau out of ohio and 6-11 center brian carlwell out of proviso east.

i saw carlwell a year ago at a holiday shootout. he is very raw, but the skills are there. he's lean but not skinny, runs extremely well and is very agile. unfortunately he plays on a team of shoot-happy guards who aren't all that interested in feeding the post. thus, his numbers are not as great as maybe you'd expect. still, he has great potential and what he has you can not teach.

i have not seen semrau play, so i can't really speak to his specific skill set. i am hopeful to see him in the ohio high school playoffs in the next few weeks. i know bruce has described him as a more athletic jack ingram - a big guy who can mix it up occasionally and knock down the 17-footer. he has great numbers, but he plays in a really weak league in the second smallest division in ohio (we have four divisions).

there is one scholarship left for the class of 2006. at this point weber seems to be targeting four players, all of whom are high-scoring and very talented combo guards with grade issues. those would be ramar smith and leon freeman out of michigan, derwin kitchen (see few posts up) out of florida and deonte vaughn out of ohio. any of those kids would probably bump this from a mediocre class to at least an acceptable one. my guess is that the first one to get his grades in order gets an offer. of the three, freeman has told people he wants to go to illinois. not sure of the other suitors for the other three.

Edited by thedoctor

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 08:42 AM)
add another name. 6-7 wing davon jefferson out of new jersey.

here is some info:

draft express article, mentions illinois

davon jefferson profile

jefferson is a five-star recruit who decommitted to unlv whne one of their assistant coaches left for louisville.

Although that would be a huge addition, I wouldn't exactly count on it. That article made it sound like Illinois was kind of an after-thought, much like it appears that Jefferson is with Illinois. Plus he definitely has some grade issues and could enter the NBA draft. Although you can't turn down a guy with his talent level if he wants to sign with your school, they need more guard help than anything.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
Although that would be a huge addition, I wouldn't exactly count on it. That article made it sound like Illinois was kind of an after-thought, much like it appears that Jefferson is with Illinois. Plus he definitely has some grade issues and could enter the NBA draft. Although you can't turn down a guy with his talent level if he wants to sign with your school, they need more guard help than anything.

If he is a senior in HS, he has to wait another year for the NBA.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 05:53 PM)

not counting on it, just sharing information.