Prior for Abreu

DukeNukeEm

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
I thought the Cubs were out of their minds to trade Prior in a package to get Tejada. If this trade goes down, either Hendry is very very stupid, or Prior's elbow is a big problem.

I don't get why the Phillies would make this trade and trade for damaged goods. Was there any other player sinvolved?

Bob

This is from Rosenthal posted 3 hours ago:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5224028

If the Phillies acquired Tejada, they would gain the option of flipping him for a top-of-the-rotation starter, either in a three-way trade or separate deal; the Cubs, for example, have shown a willingness to trade right-hander Mark Prior for Tejada, but not Abreu. However, the Cubs would want a starting pitcher back for Prior — they've asked the Orioles for left-hander Erik Bedard - and the Phillies probably lack the depth to make that type of move.

Based off that quote it would be a pretty surprising turn of events. Maybe it was misinterpreted.

It's possible Rosenthal heard new developments since the article's creation.

Personally, I'd love a Prior/Abreu swap. I'm cheering for Mark to annually be among the NL Cy Young candidates.

There are a few problems, however, with such a deal:

-First--the contracts are nowhere near equal. We're talking a potential of 10 million difference between Abreu and Prior. Philadelphia either would include a portion of Abreu's contract or perhaps a top pitching prospect.

-Second--the outfield was already full without Abreu; now it's overcrowded. I can't believe Cubs wouldn't allow Murton the opportunity to start. Makes you wonder whether or not he's part of a deal centering around Zito. Oakland's outfield situation is equally as crowded, but he's their type of player and I certaintly wouldn't believe Beane avoids him because of their outfield situation.

Honestly, I wouldn't doubt a trade of Prior for Abreu/Top Prospect, then in return, Hendry packages Murton/Hill/prospect for Zito. Cubs wouldn't exactly need a cheap OF alternative considering all probable outfielders (Abreu/Jones/Pierre) would be locked up for several years. With the abundance of offense, Cedeno could then be penciled in as SS.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
-Second--the outfield was already full without Abreu; not it's overcrowded. I can't believe Cubs wouldn't give Murton the opportunity to start. Makes you wonder whether or not he's part of a deal centering around Zito. Oakland's outfield situation is equally as crowded, but he's their type of player and I certaintly wouldn't believe Beane avoids him because of crowded outfield.

With Dusty Baker managing the Cubs, there's no reason to think that Murton will get the playing time he sh ould get, so I could easily believe they would put someone else in front of both him and Pie.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
To me, this says 1 of 3 things.

1.  Mark Prior will not be fully healthy in the next several years and Jim Hendry has not told us this

2.  There is a lot of money going to the Cubs along with Abreu

3.  There are a lot of players going to the Cubs along with Abreu (Gio?)

Personally, I would wager on the 1st.  This happens...it screams the Cubs knowing something we don't about Prior's arm.  Just comparing the prices of the contracts...you could sign DLee for 3 years with the money you'd save by holding onto Prior compared to Abreu.

How about that Hendry is just a bad GM? I think that's much more likely of being the case than those 3.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 06:17 PM)
If this goes down, it shows why Pat Gillick was so in demand by a lot of owners this off-season.

you almost had me there for a minute.

"duke is duke...theyre on tv more than leave it to beava ree runsss..."

http://virginiasports.collegesports.com/sp...len_pete00.html

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 07:17 PM)
If this goes down, it shows why Pat Gillick was so in demand by a lot of owners this off-season.

All he's doing is asking the Cubs if they're willing to take Prior for Abreu. Doesn't prove much to me. He has no influence in whether or not Hendry is desperate and accepts the offer.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 08:33 PM)
There was a report about this out of Philly about a month ago. Are you sure they are not just rehashing old rumors?

Heh most likely wont happen, but we can hope.

If they did get prior, they would need to fill two spots in their rotation, an outfield spot and two infield spots, it doesnt really matter what happens, the cubs just cant figure it out. Hendry needs to be canned and Baker needs to go.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 07:01 PM)
Honestly, I wouldn't doubt a trade of Prior for Abreu/Top Prospect, then in return, Hendry packages Murton/Hill/prospect for Zito. Cubs wouldn't exactly need a cheap OF alternative considering all probable outfielders (Abreu/Jones/Pierre) would be locked up for several years. With the abundance of offense, Cedeno could then be penciled in as SS.

That would make a hell of a lot of sense for all parties. As is, Oakland's rotation is probably overcrowded(Zito-Harden-Loaiza-Haren-Blanton-Saarloos, and one could even include Kennedy and perhaps Gaudin), so getting rid of Zito before you get nothing for him does make a lot of sense for the A's. That seems to be quite similar to the packages they have gotten from St. Louis and Atlanta for Hudson and Mulder, so I can see Beane making the deal. Hendry has shown a love for Zito and wants him pretty badly, so I can see him paying a pretty penny to get him.

Chicago's OF situation just perfect right now, but Dusty appears to hate playing rookies and non-veterans for whatever reason, which makes no sense at all no matter the situation(but then again, not much Baker has ever done has made a hell of a lot of sense), so bringing in a veteran player helps Dusty in that regard. And in order to counter the Sox additions of Thome, who is a name player, Mackowiak, who grew up as a Sox fan in Illinois, and Vazquez, who is just a very solid pitcher, they bring in both Abreu, who is a name player, and Zito, also a name player. Both help the Cubs in that regard, but I am personally unsure as to why they'd make the trade...Prior is just as good - possibly better than - Zito, and Murton's production per dollar earned will probably make him a better player to have in the lineup over Abreu...but Abreu will probably produce slightly better than Murton will at 30-40X the cost.

I see Philadelphia making the deal to cut more salary while improving their pitching rotation quite a bit. I just am not sure who they'd replace Abreu with...Jason Michaels? It won't be Kroeger who they just picked up off waivers, as he's probably a year or so away still...maybe they're open to trying Abraham Nunez in RF, or moving Burrell to RF and going with some sort of platoon in LF.

There are question marks on all 3 accounts, but by and large, I can see why all 3 teams would make the respective moves. Good thought.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 03:18 AM)
That would make a hell of a lot of sense for all parties.  As is, Oakland's rotation is probably overcrowded(Zito-Harden-Loaiza-Haren-Blanton-Saarloos, and one could even include Kennedy and perhaps Gaudin), so getting rid of Zito before you get nothing for him does make a lot of sense for the A's.  That seems to be quite similar to the packages they have gotten from St. Louis and Atlanta for Hudson and Mulder, so I can see Beane making the deal.  Hendry has shown a love for Zito and wants him pretty badly, so I can see him paying a pretty penny to get him.

Chicago's OF situation just perfect right now, but Dusty appears to hate playing rookies and non-veterans for whatever reason, which makes no sense at all no matter the situation(but then again, not much Baker has ever done has made a hell of a lot of sense), so bringing in a veteran player helps Dusty in that regard.  And in order to counter the Sox additions of Thome, who is a name player, Mackowiak, who grew up as a Sox fan in Illinois, and Vazquez, who is just a very solid pitcher, they bring in both Abreu, who is a name player, and Zito, also a name player.  Both help the Cubs in that regard, but I am personally unsure as to why they'd make the trade...Prior is just as good - possibly better than - Zito, and Murton's production per dollar earned will probably make him a better player to have in the lineup over Abreu...but Abreu will probably produce slightly better than Murton will at 30-40X the cost.

I see Philadelphia making the deal to cut more salary while improving their pitching rotation quite a bit.  I just am not sure who they'd replace Abreu with...Jason Michaels?  It won't be Kroeger who they just picked up off waivers, as he's probably a year or so away still...maybe they're open to trying Abraham Nunez in RF, or moving Burrell to RF and going with some sort of platoon in LF. 

There are question marks on all 3 accounts, but by and large, I can see why all 3 teams would make the respective moves.  Good thought.

hopefully this idea gets to Hendry, because he's shown me in the past few months he really doesn't have a plan. hopefully for his sake Billy Beane brings this up first.

the only way this trade makes sense for the Cubs is if they plan on spinning off Abreu or Jones to another team for a replacement for Prior and/or a solid middle infielder.

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 07:29 PM)
It seems like the first guy doesn't like this trade, but I really do.  The Cubs will have no pitching whatsoever.

What does everyone else think?

i agree with you. maybe the first guy is unhappy because he wants us to have abreu or something instead of the cubs (the chances of us getting abreu were slim all along).

im all for it. this is going back to the days of when i was a kid watching the cubs when they happened to be on WGN after middle school (late 80's early 90's) (this was every other day as well- damn cubune). Well, their O might be a bit better. but they are going to have NO pitching whatsoever.

if this deal goes through, i look forward to a season of white sox winners and the cubs getting slammed 2 out of 3 games.

:snow