David Wells to the D-Backs

DBAHO

The Dodgers are no longer involved in David Wells trade talks with the Red Sox and A's. The Diamondbacks, though, are showing mild interest in the left-hander, according to the Boston Globe.

Orlando Hernandez, Alex Cintron and Luis Terrero for Wells? It might make sense if either Cintron or Terrero was good enough to paly regularly for a contender. The Red Sox were considering getting Jay Payton from the A's in a deal that would have sent Wells to the Dodgers and prospects to Oakland. If neither the Dodgers nor the Padres are in the mix, the Red Sox may be out of possibilities. There's been no sign that the Angels are interested, though Wells for Darin Erstad would make some sense for both teams. The A's could consider Wells for themselves in the unlikely event that they trade Barry Zito prior to Opening Day. Jan. 15 - 3:55 am et

There was a thread a while back about the D-Backs trying to trade for a younger starter. Well if they could acquire Wells who's better then El Duque anyway, they can just trade him at the deadline for prospects if they're out of contention. And since Cintron's not likely to make the 25 man roster (Easley and Green as backups), it makes perfect sense for them.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 15, 2006 -> 11:12 PM)
if Angels were offered Erstad for Wells idonno why they wouldnt do that... Wells would be their 5th starter so if he sucks it wont hurt you much but he has the potential to do good too.

He was awesome with the Padres just a couple seasons ago.

Neither do I, but then again the Angels do overrate Erstad's abilities. I suppose they want to stick with Carrasco as the 5th starter perhaps?

I guess that trade would make some sense with Alex Cintron claiming the starting SS position and Alex Cora moving back to the the utility role for the Red Sox. But the Red Sox would probably want a better center fielder than Luis Terrero, who looks like a fourth outfielder, if they are going to take on El Duque's salary whom they have no need for whatsoever. El Duque would just be a salary dump for the Diamondbacks like it was for us.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 15, 2006 -> 04:29 AM)
Neither do I, but then again the Angels do overrate Erstad's abilities. I suppose they want to stick with Carrasco as the 5th starter perhaps?

Which is a brainless move. I'm gonna make sure I stay away from the park when he's pitching.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 15, 2006 -> 04:05 AM)
There was a thread a while back about the D-Backs trying to trade for a younger starter. Well if they could acquire Wells who's better then El Duque anyway, they can just trade him at the deadline for prospects if they're out of contention. And since Cintron's not likely to make the 25 man roster (Easley and Green as backups), it makes perfect sense for them.

Cintron makes sense.