What would you do?

sox4lifeinPA

What would you do if you, your wife, or daughter was raped?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do if you, your wife, or daughter was raped?

• keep the child (if one was conceived)
    • do what you could to avoid conception (morning after pill)
    • have an abortion regardless
    • give the child up for adoption (if one was conceived)

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 10:01 PM)
I have to confess (hehe) that I'm not 100% up-to-date on the, what I think are, various forms of "morning after" pills. 

If such a pill would simply prevent conception (sperm meeting ovum), then 'okay.'  If it would prevent implantation (fertilized egg from uterine wall), then not so 'ok.'

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/sex_relationshi...ngafterpill.htm

What does it do?

It stops you from becoming pregnant – at least, in the vast majority of cases. It’s not 100 per cent effective, but the failure rate is quite low – probably about 10 per cent, and rather better than that if you take it as early as possible.

The PCP is believed to work principally by preventing your ovaries from releasing an egg, and by affecting the womb lining, so that a fertilised egg couldn’t ‘embed’ itself there.

In Britain and many other western countries, it is not legally regarded as an abortion-causing drug, but as a contraceptive.

hope that helps.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did any of you see North Country? This issue you guys bring up is part of the story. Very good movie.

There is no way I could ever keep the baby and look at that baby without being reminded of something horrible. I would definitely ask my wife/daughter to have the abortion or take the morning after pill. You may say that I will never know what I would do unless I am put in that situation, but I know I could not handle that. I really don't know how anyone does. To raise a child that came from such a horrible act and to be reminded of that horrible act every single time you look at the child's face. It is just a horrible situation. As a man, to look at the child and think that the child was a result of the filthy act that my wife endured would be enough to make me ask her to have an abortion or take the morning after pill.

As far as adoption, I would not want my wife to even go through the process of giving birth due to a horrific situation such as rape. The pregnancy and birth are so unforgettable and so intimate for a woman that I can not ever imagine letting my wife/daughter go through that because of the horrible circumstances she went through.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 12:00 PM)
Yea... which is why I posted MY FEELINGS.  :huh:

I dont think CanofCorn said you couldnt...

personally i think this is an issue that has to be talked about regardless of whether you've "stepped into those shoes" or not. How many of the congressmen have ever had this experience to deal with? my guess is almost none of them if not none at all. But still these are the people that have this debate and must answer the question. given that, i see no problem in discussing it on this board where we also have most likely never been through the situation.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)
I dont think CanofCorn said you couldnt...

personally i think this is an issue that has to be talked about regardless of whether you've "stepped into those shoes" or not.  How many of the congressmen have ever had this experience to deal with?  my guess is almost none of them if not none at all.  But still these are the people that have this debate and must answer the question.  given that, i see no problem in discussing it on this board where we also have most likely never been through the situation.

I don't recall saying it couldn't be talked about... as evidence I've been doing a lot of talking about it.

What I did say is how can one know how they would for a fact react...? Answer... until they walked in those shoes, they wouldn't.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
I don't recall saying it couldn't be talked about... as evidence I've been doing a lot of talking about it.

What I did say is how can one know how they would for a fact react...? Answer... until they walked in those shoes, they wouldn't.

and i'll give you that. no one can ever know for sure about ANYTHING until they've experienced it. but it seems like a moot point since it is and has to be discussed.