DICK Cheney shows us what's wrong with the country

kapkomet

I can't find the exact quote anywhere, but here's the real problem with this country.

For all the bulls*** that's spewed on this particular board from you Bush haters, and for all those who try to defend what we think is a bigger picture, this drives right to the heart of what's wrong with our country today: these f***ers, ALL OF THEM, WANT division, otherwise, they have nothing.

Hear me out.

Cheney was in New York today, and he gave a speech. In it was the paraphrased quote:

Recently my duties have called upon me to cast the tie-breaking vote in the senate, and I recently had the opportunity to vote on a budget fiscal cut.  The one thing about when I get to cast a vote is my side wins (feigned applause)

f*** you, Dick Cheney. With this attitude, NO ONE WINS. What about the 50% of the people who LOST on that vote? What about all of us who have loans to go to school? What about all those Democrats that you profess to be representing? Who LOSES? WE DO!

Someday, the shoe will be on the other foot. And the Dems will drive the stake through just as hard. And it sucks. Our whole government is built on one party losing, and one party "winning", and we all lose, because of the divisiveness of Washington DC.

And if these Republican assholes wouldn't have spent like a drunken sailor, these "cutbacks" wouldn't even be necessary. Idiots.

Rant over.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
I can't find the exact quote anywhere, but here's the real problem with this country.

For all the bulls*** that's spewed on this particular board from you Bush haters, and for all those who try to defend what we think is a bigger picture, this drives right to the heart of what's wrong with our country today: these f***ers, ALL OF THEM, WANT division, otherwise, they have nothing.

Hear me out.

Cheney was in New York today, and he gave a speech.  In it was the paraphrased quote:

f*** you, Dick Cheney.  With this attitude, NO ONE WINS.  What about the 50% of the people who LOST on that vote?  What about all of us who have loans to go to school?  What about all those Democrats that you profess to be representing?  Who LOSES?  WE DO!

Someday, the shoe will be on the other foot.  And the Dems will drive the stake through just as hard.  And it sucks.  Our whole government is built on one party losing, and one party "winning", and we all lose, because of the divisiveness of Washington DC.

And if these Republican assholes wouldn't have spent like a drunken sailor, these "cutbacks" wouldn't even be necessary.  Idiots.

Rant over.

As long as you have politicians who are a bunch of sore losers like Democrats you're always going to have divisiveness. Even though they are about as far out of power as they possibly could be they still think they can push their leftist agenda. If America wanted the leftist agenda they would vote leftists into office.

They are incapable of proposing sensible alternatives to Republican legislation so they are reduced to stomping up and down and crying like a bunch of spoiled little toddlers who didn't get a candy bar they wanted.

f*** them.

As long as they want to act like they are acting then they deserve to lose.

As long as they are the hypocritical assholes that they are they deserve to lose.

As long as they choose to whine and cry about how evil Bush is and resorting to character assassination instead of a reasoned and logical argument then not only do they deserve to lose but they deserve to have it rubbed in their faces at every opportunity.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 09:20 PM)
They are incapable of proposing sensible alternatives to Republican legislation so they are reduced to stomping up and down and crying like a bunch of spoiled little toddlers who didn't get a candy bar they wanted.

f*** them.

As long as they are the hypocritical assholes that they are they deserve to lose. 

As long as they choose to whine and cry about how evil Bush is and resorting to character assassination instead of a reasoned and logical argument then not only do they deserve to lose but they deserve to have it rubbed in their faces at every opportunity.

"Hey...you remember the other day when I asked you what the definition of Irony was and you said -AAHHHHHH"

mutant_stewie.png

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 12:01 AM)

Hear me out.

Cheney was in New York today, and he gave a speech.  In it was the paraphrased quote:

f*** you, Dick Cheney.  With this attitude, NO ONE WINS.  What about the 50% of the people who LOST on that vote?  What about all of us who have loans to go to school?  What about all those Democrats that you profess to be representing?  Who LOSES?  WE DO!

Someday, the shoe will be on the other foot.  And the Dems will drive the stake through just as hard.  And it sucks.  Our whole government is built on one party losing, and one party "winning", and we all lose, because of the divisiveness of Washington DC.

And if these Republican assholes wouldn't have spent like a drunken sailor, these "cutbacks" wouldn't even be necessary.  Idiots.

Rant over.

I do agree that it's laughable that the GOP is now having to make these "tough cuts" to the budget, which is only necessary because they made it necessary with their inability to control spending.

Thing is, the divisiveness is sort of necessary. The way our system is set up, you need competing parties and coalition building. It's an adversarial system. The idea being that if you let groups fight it out, you usually end up in the right place when you are done.

But I think the downfall is that we have a dominantly 2-party system. Yes, I said downfall. I think one thing that allows some of the European governments to be more agile in their policies than we are is that, often times, there are 3 or 4 parties with a significant voice. In those cases, you still get debate, argument and coalition building. But, you get less of the us v. them mentality. You get connections between groups.

I realize this is a pipe dream, but I agree with Kap about a real moderate party. I see the GOP having a large faction that is moving further and further to the right socially, and they are seperating from the fiscal conservative/social moderate Republicans. The Dems also have a swath of folks who are starting to become more hawkish on defense and spending. Perhaps a joint effort? I personally would love to see a party that was fiscally conservative and socially liberal come out of the wood work - I think there is a large part of society that would fall in that category. People like McCain and Lieberman would fit into that niche.

Hey, I can dream!

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 12:20 AM)
As long as you have politicians who are a bunch of sore losers like Democrats you're always going to have divisiveness.  Even though they are about as far out of power as they possibly could be they still think they can push their leftist agenda.  If America wanted the leftist agenda they would vote leftists into office. 

f*** them.

Nuke, man, you make some good points on this board. But you make it hard to have any kind of real discussion, when you constantly refer to anything and everything left of center as "losers" and "leftists". And yet, here you are complaining that the Dems need to use "logical arguments" instead of character assassination.

Irony indeed, as Balta pointed out.

I thought the point of a multiple party system was a system of checks and balances.

Also, I believe the way government is supposed to work is...a representative is voted in by his/her constituency to represent them. Therefore, he/she is supposed to vote on what's best for the constituency. Not what's best for the party.

THAT'S what's wrong with this system...you have a majority of rich, white men deciding what's best for this country, when really, all they care about is showing off who's balls are bigger and saying "Naa, naa, naa-naa, naa," when they pass a bill that we won't even know will work until a generation or two down the road.

It would be nice to see one of these so-called well-educated Representatives think for themselves for once and not ask their party what they should do.

And honestly, the older I get, the less I'm a Democrat...not because of my feelings or what they stand for, but because I just want to think for myself, I don't want to be aligned with either party.

As Michael Douglas said in "The American President": "...I was too busy keeping my job to do my job."

/end rant

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 12:20 AM)
As long as you have politicians who are a bunch of sore losers like Democrats you're always going to have divisiveness.  Even though they are about as far out of power as they possibly could be they still think they can push their leftist agenda.  If America wanted the leftist agenda they would vote leftists into office. 

f*** them.

you do realize of course that most politicians are sore losers and, unfortunately for you, that also includes Republicans. I know it's hard to believe. I almost fainted under the shock when I heard it the first time.

Bruce Reed, former Al Gore speechwriter, had some delicious snark on slate.com this week about Dick Cheney.

Dick Cheney deserves a Golden Globe for best director of a period piece. On his watch, the Bush White House has done a masterful job of recreating the 1970s: from rogue intelligence-gathering, energy shocks, and widespread corruption to war protests and fears about Big Brother.

Cheney certainly isn't playing to the crowd. Parents want to relive the '50s; liberals want to relive the '60s; conservatives want to relive the '80s; Has-Beens want to relive the '90s—but nobody wants to relive the '70s.

Yet even the opposition goes along. The nonfiction book atop the New York Times best-seller list is Our Endangered Values by Jimmy Carter. Carter is simply reprising the most successful role of his career: campaigning against the Nixonian excesses of Washington.

At every stop on the campaign trail in 1992, Al Gore would ask, "What time is it?" The answer then was, "It's time for them to go." The answer now is, "1974."