Anderson Gomes...the sleeper of all sleepers

maggsmaggs

this is guy might be special. here is Phil Rogers take on him.

Phil Rogers: Hello neighbor ... for a fellow Napervillian, the Anderson Gomes special. This guy, signed this winter out of the Japanese minor leagues, could be a mini-Alfonso Soriano, except as a center fielder. He's a tremendously fast 21-year-old who has the strength to hit home runs. Not much has been known about him -- for good reason. He's a native of Brazil and he has spent his pro career as a pitcher, switching to the outfield only after undergoing Tommy John surgery, which is why he didn't play anywhere in 2005. He's recovered from TJ surgery and impressed scouts in Japan enough that he got third-round money to sign with the White Sox. He's got a chance to be the talk of the minor-league camp, and could finish 2006 as high as Double-A Birmingham. Based on reputation alone, I think I would have made him a top-10 pick if he had been signed before the newspaper and book went to press. This guy could be the sleeper of all sleepers, pushing guys like Podsednik, Owens and Anderson as early as 2007.

I hear he's 6.5 in the 60, and has apparently put on some unbelievable displays in batting practice. He's almost totally untested in competition, however, but the same guys are touting him who worked with Soriano when he was a Japanese minor-leaguer

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 07:41 PM)
Maggs was this from the BA Top 10 Prospect Chat?

Also, IIRC Rogers was really hyping Salvador Sanchez at this 1 year ago, and Sanchez never got out of rookie ball (not that I'm saying he's a bad prospect).

Yeah, it was from Phil's chat today and here is Phil's comment about Sanchez during last year's prospect chat.

Moderator: Hernandez is a product of the Sox's increased effort in the Dominican. Denny Gonzalez has been doing a good job there, and Hernandez is an example. Also keep an eye out in 2005 for Salvador Sanchez, a Dominican outfielder. He's built like a young Juan Gonzalez and hit very well in the Dominican summer league last year.

Labeling him Juan Gonzalez like is a little lofty.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
Yeah, it was from Phil's chat today and here is Phil's comment about Sanchez during last year's prospect chat.

Labeling him Juan Gonzalez like is a little lofty.

He said he's built like Juan Gon not that he plays like him.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
It seems our specialy is OF's lol... all our top prospects are always OF's......  :bang

Which I mean isn't a bad thing at all. We've seen how aggressive our GM is, and if we've plenty of good OF's in our minor league system, they can be traded in the right deal, and we'll still have some good ones.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 03:39 AM)
Which I mean isn't a bad thing at all. We've seen how aggressive our GM is, and if we've plenty of good OF's in our minor league system, they can be traded in the right deal, and we'll still have some good ones.

Oh I know but just be nice to maybe get some studs in other positions too lol. Besides Valido really we dont have any what I consider "studs" in other positions.... I guess you can say Josh Fields but idonno yet with him although I think he can be good....

Supposedly runs a 6.5 60 yard and sub-11 100m... world class speed.

We'll see this year I guess. Has supposedly put on some awe-inspiring batting practice shows but wouldn't be the first guy to not be able to do the same in a game if it turns out that way.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)
Can anybody find his stats in Japan?

I found his pitching stats in Japan...

All stats are for the Hawks ni-gun team(basically their farm team) in the Western League.

YEAR G W L SV IP H HR BB HBP SO R ER ERA

2002 5 1 1 0 12.2 10 1 9 1 7 6 5 3.55

2003 8 1 3 0 24.0 27 1 30 3 9 25 22 8.25

2004 4 0 0 0 2.1 ? ? ? ? 0 ? 0 0.00

His only 2 career AB's were in 2003 and he is 0-2 with 1 K.

Missed all of 2005.

Edited by Randar68