T.O. to the Bears?

He has a bad super bowl so now he's the most overrated QB in the history of the league? You want an overrated QB just go check down in Atlanta, there's a WR/HB behind center there that seems to be a consistant Pro Bowler at the QB position.

Joe Namath has possibly the worst stats of any QB possibly any player in the Hall of Fame, he made his name off one game and just because I wasn't alive when he played doesn't mean I don't know what he did.

Good point...Vick is second, shooting for first.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is not the only one to think this way. Here is a little article from a national sports network. I think they go by ESPN or something like that. I wonder if any of them were old enough to see Namath play. His stats that are listed sound like he was pretty overrated to me.

Most Overrated

1. Joe Namath

I'm a Joe Namath fan from way back, so it pains me to say this, but Namath was a great quarterback for only a few seasons. He's been properly credited for leading the Jets to a Super Bowl III win (and a few bonus points for being cool enough to know he didn't have to pass to beat the Colts). Namath was an icon, a product of his times, and he played the New York tune in perfect key, fur coat and all. But as a player ... there have been dozens of better QBs in modern times. Some surprisingly lousy career stats to consider: 173 TD passes, 220 INTs, completion percentage of 50.1.

2. Phil Rizzuto

Rizzuto was a fine shortstop who had one truly great season -- his MVP year of 1950. His admittance into the HOF in 1994, nearly 40 years after his playing career ended, was clearly a product of the New York media machine, Yankee aura and HOF voting politics.

3. Lynn Swann

Hmmm. In nine seasons, he was a Pro Bowler only three times. Averaged less than 40 catches per season. A couple of great playoff performances, but lots of so-so ones. In terms of career stats, you can't get more straightforward than the footballreference.com summary: "Lynn Swann is not in the all-time top 50 in any major category." So why is he in the Hall of Fame?

4. Jose Canseco

Wow. We knew Canseco was overrated, and he's especially unlikable these days, but just checking out his stats in an objective fashion, you'd be less than impressed. A .266 BA and just six 100+ RBI seasons in an offensive era, a so-so .353 OBP. Terrible in the postseason -- a .184 batting average and .398 slugging percentage when the stakes were highest.

5. Deion Sanders

Spectacular to watch in his prime, dominant on pass defense (although a notoriously weak tackler), but he asked for too much money, and undeservedly got it. ESPN the Mag's Tom Friend summed up Sanders' career well, calling Sanders the "Greatest selfish player of all-time, best-bandannaed player of all time, (who) killed wide receivers and salary caps." Oh, and he was a mediocre baseball player, despite the hype and two Sports Illustrated covers (only one less than Barry Bonds!).

6. Pete Maravich

Pistol Pete, perhaps the most spectacular college player ever, was a very good, but not great, NBA player. A marginal Hall of Famer if you look at his pro stats, and shouldn't have made the list of the NBA's top 50 players of all time.

7. Nolan Ryan

If you wanted to go see a game with lots of K's, lots of walks, and not much in-between, Ryan was your man. In his long career, he racked up some spectacular achievements -- for example, 5,714 strikeouts and seven no-hitters. Other spectacular marks included 2,795 walks and 292 career losses, which put him, with a 324-292 record, not far above .500.

Granted, he pitched most of his career for mediocre teams, but he never won the Cy Young Award (Steve Carlton, his contemporary and also a strikeout pitcher, won four Cy Youngs). A great hurler, but not, as many fans believe, the greatest in baseball history.

8. Pete Rose

He's got the most hits in baseball history, but that doesn't make him the greatest hitter in baseball history, as many casual fans believe. Rose kept himself in the game for five years after he should have retired, and he hurt the Reds as a player his last couple of years. Don't get me wrong: Rose was great, and he worked his tail off, but his his hits record is greatly overplayed. He didn't even come close to Ty Cobb at the plate:

Rose: BA: .303; OBP: .375; SLG: .409, career high of 82 RBI, 198 SB

Cobb: BA: .366; OBP: .433; SLG: .512, seven seasons of 100+ RBI, 892 SB

9. O.J. Simpson

Simpson had one incredible year, and two other great ones. But if you check out his career stats, what you'll find is five fine seasons and six so-so ones in which he gained less than 700 yards on the ground. Not much of a receiver, either -- in his 2000-yard season, Simpson caught a grand total of six passes.

10. Apolo Ohno

Ohno already deserves a spot in SI's "Where are they now?" issue. A couple of questions: Why was he an SI cover boy last year when he was in a minor sport that had only been in the Winter Games since 1992? We could think of a dozen winter Olympians more deserving of that slot. Anything intriguing about him? Nah ... he's no Barry Zito. As my esteemed colleague Jim Caple put it, "It was his name and Nike that got him cred, not talent."

Christ...how did they omit McNabb?

Who is overrating him exactly? Is it the liberal media overhyping a black QB not because he deserves the praise but because of the color of his skin?

That's funny, but nobody hates Rush Limbaugh more than I do...However, he was right on this one...McNabb will be out of football in three years. He's benefited from being on a solid team. What was it, two seasons ago when he went out with about four games remaining in the regular season? Everyone was like, "Philly's done." Well, two backup QBs led Philly to about five or six straight wins, including one or two in the playoffs. McNabb came back and Philly dropped the title game.

Some of us can spot a terribly overrated QB quickly. You'll all come around. Many already are.

QUOTE(CluelessJoe1919 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 11:30 PM)
That's funny, but nobody hates Rush Limbaugh more than I do...However, he was right on this one...McNabb will be out of football in three years. He's benefited from being on a solid team. What was it, two seasons ago when he went out with about four games remaining in the regular season? Everyone was like, "Philly's done." Well, two backup QBs led Philly to about five or six straight wins, including one or two in the playoffs. McNabb came back and Philly dropped the title game.

Some of us can spot a terribly overrated QB quickly. You'll all come around. Many already are.

Wait a second. This is all sounding too familiar to the "Rex Grossman should retire" thread. This has got to be crazyman26.

Guest $I Need Money$

Hey i wouldn't mind having T.O. Look at our receivers. Mushin drops millions of passes and everyone else is crap. This is what the Bears need to take the next step.

QUOTE($I Need Money$ @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 01:12 AM)
Hey i wouldn't mind having T.O. Look at our receivers. Mushin drops millions of passes and everyone else is crap. This is what the Bears need to take the next step.

The problem with TO is that he's not going to get the money that he wants, which means he'll end up whining about it in a year or two. He also wouldn't like playing for the Bears, and especially not Kyle Orton, who cannot pass, if he ever starts another game. The Bears run the ball way too much for TO to be be a Bear, he wouldn't be able to last half the season before whining.

Also, our WR corp isn't that horrible, and definitely isn't the #1 need for this team. Moose (big contract, and isn't as bad as people here make him out to be), Berrian (great end of the year and playoff game), Bradley (great year up until getting hurt), and Gage (could probably be a solid #3 or 4 guy). The team has a much bigger hole in the secondary, or TE, or LB. Signing a FA as expensive and as risky as TO would be foolish.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(CluelessJoe1919 @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 04:30 AM)

I would love to make that bet. McNabb is out of football in 3 years? Why don't we exchange email addresses and make a bet. PM me. That is an easy win for me. Out of the league in 3 years? Kordell Stewart is still in the league and has been for 11 years. Tony Banks is still in the league and has been for 10 years. McNabb is going to be out of the league in his 10th year at 33 or 34 years old?

McNabb has had nothing at WR except for 1 full year of TO. He has averaged 3080 passing yards, 21 passing TDs, 10 INTs, 3.5 rushing TDs, and 367 rushing yards, and he has a 59% completion percentage in the 6 seasons that he was the starting QB at the beginning of the year. He has a record of 65-31 in those 6 seasons. That is counting 13 missed games. That is almost another whole season right there. He has made it to the NFC Championship game 4 out of 6 seasons. He has been to the Super Bowl once. He has been to the playoffs in every season except last season. In the post season he has 12 games played, 2630 yards passing, 18 passing TDs, 12 INTs, 3 Rushing TDs, 362 Rushing Yards, and a 59% completion percentage. His interceptions are a little high, but other than that it looks pretty damn good. His leading receivers have been Chad Lewis, James Thrash, Todd Pinkston, and Terrell Owens. Isn't that a great group of WRs?

So now how is he overrated and who is rating him if he is overrated? What else do you want from him? He is without a doubt a top 5 QB in the NFL.

What the hell is wrong with you?

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 02:19 PM)
I would love to make that bet. McNabb is out of football in 3 years? Why don't we exchange email addresses and make a bet. PM me. That is an easy win for me. Out of the league in 3 years? Kordell Stewart is still in the league and has been for 11 years. Tony Banks is still in the league and has been for 10 years. McNabb is going to be out of the league in his 10th year at 33 or 34 years old?

McNabb has had nothing at WR except for 1 full year of TO. He has averaged 3080 passing yards, 21 passing TDs, 10 INTs, 3.5 rushing TDs, and 367 rushing yards, and he has a 59% completion percentage in the 6 seasons that he was the starting QB at the beginning of the year. He has a record of 65-31 in those 6 seasons.  That is counting 13 missed games. That is almost another whole season right there. He has made it to the NFC Championship game 4 out of 6 seasons. He has been to the Super Bowl once. He has been to the playoffs in every season except last season. In the post season he has 12 games played, 2630 yards passing, 18 passing TDs, 12 INTs, 3 Rushing TDs, 362 Rushing Yards, and a 59% completion percentage. His interceptions are a little high, but other than that it looks pretty damn good. His leading receivers have been Chad Lewis, James Thrash, Todd Pinkston, and Terrell Owens. Isn't that a great group of WRs?

So now how is he overrated and who is rating him if he is overrated? What else do you want from him? He is without a doubt a top 5 QB in the NFL.

What the hell is wrong with you?

pssst(nudgenudge)

CluelessJoe1919  Yesterday, 11:30 PM Post #55 

Draft Pick

Group: Banned

Member No.: 3,501

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 05:03 AM)
Terrell Owens is football's version of Sammy Sosa.

Sammy Sosa needed to illegally enhance his physical tools

TO needs to enhance his personality and attitude

Other than that, they are both tools, you are correct.

Shall we start an all-idiots team thread?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 06:39 AM)
Sammy Sosa needed to illegally enhance his physical tools

TO needs to enhance his personality and attitude

Other than that, they are both tools, you are correct.

Shall we start an all-idiots team thread?

Well, I was refering to their common attitude of "It's all about me."

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 05:21 PM)
Well Artest isn't like that. His teammates lime him and all, he just loses his temper and refuses to get treatment for it.

Jermaine O'Neal was pretty fed up with Artest for the past year. With all of his trade demands and constant suspensions Artest did not endear himself to his teammates this year. Also, you cannot forget about this:

Ron Artest Chooses Gold Records Over Gold Trophies

In a bizarre public admission, Artest begins the 2004-05 campaign by asking the Pacers for a month off to devote time to promoting the first release on his Tru Warrior album label. While the world snickers, Indiana is not amused. Artest sits for two games as punishment for his flippant attitude towards his profession. The all-girl group Artest sought to promote, Allure, barely registers a blip on the album charts despite the unprecedented publicity.

There is more to Artest than his temper. This guy pretty much spat in the face of the club that backed him up after one of the worst incidents in the history of the NBA(Rudy Tomjonavich notwithstanding) and didnt want to be part of them anymore.