ESPN pre-season college

soxfaninbeverly

at #5, block-m-mich-color.jpg

This isn't so much a bet on senior quarterback John Navarre as it is on a team that returns nearly intact from last season. Michigan did everything at Ohio State last season but win the game. What we don't know is whether the Wolverines learned the right lessons from that heartbreaking loss.

With Coach Carr, they did learn the right lessons (ask Florida) - and Navarre is predicted by some to win the Heisman trophy! :lol:

GO Georgetown

BE GOOD

I like your Dolphins avatars - I am a Dolphin fan since they first started playing. They have been very good to me through the years. Someday soon I hope they hire an actual coach and get good again. :lol:

hh72season.jpg

Seeing some names you don't normally see.

Virginia, Arizona St, Washington, Purdue, and the one I was most surprised by, Auburn.

I'm looking forward to watching college football this year....this will be the first year I really watch and follow college football, instead of just follow the top 25. That's what a great championship game can do to you.

You see Washington all the time, they were preseason top ten last season, i think :huh:

except for Purdue the last two seasons, the others are among the usual suspects (except maybe Virginia) but then I probably remember a tad few more years of college football than you - :lol: I remember when Frank played for Auburn -

you actually disappoint me - I was expecting you to respond to the Dolphins thing with a giant Bills helmet :lol:

Seeing some names you don't normally see.

Virginia, Arizona St, Washington, Purdue, and the one I was most surprised by, Auburn.

I'm looking forward to watching college football this year....this will be the first year I really watch and follow college football, instead of just follow the top 25. That's what a great championship game can do to you.

Welcome to the wonderful world of college football. Both joyous, and heartbreaking, college football makes every saturday a great experience (or a nerve wrecking one).

CWSOX: I think I remember telling you before that my dad was contemplating michigan season tickets after finally breaking through the waiting list...well the update is that he decided to get them, so I will be making the long pilgremage from New Jersey to Ann Arbor...and I couldn't be happier about it. There are 2 games I am looking forward to, ND and Ohio St. I used to enjoy the ND rivalry more, but after the last 2 seasons, I hate OSU just as much.

My main complaint about Michigan this season is the Running Back position. Chris Perry, just seems to damn slow to me. He doesn't have the power to break away like Thomas did, and it seemed that the A-train had better break away speed. Unforunately Perry has stone hands so we can't expect him to catch out of the backfield either. With no Askew this year, I hope we get to see some more of Underwood. He intrigues me because it seems like he has speed to run to the outside. Maybe this is the year he really gets a chance.

Navarre seems like Chris Simm's. He dominates against the weak opponents (except for Utah) and then he is a turnover machine in the big games. He lumbers in the backfield way too much. Still though, I have high expectation this season.

My Top 5 michigan moments (of my lifetime) are:

1)1997(technically '98) Rosebowl

2)1997against Ohio State

3)1991against Ohio State (the pose)

4)1999Michigan Notre Dame

5)1999(technically '00) Orange Bowl

The next runner up is 1997 against Penn St. Michigan dominated Penn St. and I remember all the analysts were predicting a close game. I remember that monstrous tackle on the sideline. That ended the career of the michigan player (the name eludes me) and ended the season for the Penn St. player.

worst moments:

1)1994Kordell Stewart

2)2000Northwestern :fyou A-train, 2 hands on the ball

3)2002Ohio St.

4)2001Ohio St.

5)1996Purdue

worst moments:

1)1994Kordell Stewart

damn you muthaf***a I was at that game and it was one of the worst moments of my life especially as I saw it coming before the snap and I try to forget it and now you reminded me again!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have split season tickets for UM, going with OSU package -

running back will be interesting but we'll do.

I like the rest of your post and assessments but am at work now so can't be too long. A best moment would be the 80 (or 81?) game against Indiana with AC making The Catch and taking it into the endzone (which is what I was thinking about at the 94 Colorado game, both plays with 6 seconds left) and the 1977 game against OSU (my first OSU game) - which probably means I am significantly older than you but what the hell, I am older than everyone here - Woody tore up the yard markers and we never ever saw it as we were celebrating too hard -

your ratings are are good except it made me feel old becuase my memories go back further than yours -

but nothing, nothing tops the thrill of the 1969 OSU game - I of course only watched that on tv but that was the game that made me a Michigan fan forever. My asshole former partner was at that game and had no right to be there, I should have been - :angry: :angry: :angry: but what the hell, not as if we knew each other then and that is the greatest victory in Michigan history so what is not to enjoy - I was dancing for joy in my living room-

other bad moments would include the infamous 10-10 tie when we didn't get to the Rose Bowl and the 12-10 loss which we won but for the damn ref calling our field goal no good when it clearly was good -

the 97 PSU game, I called that earlier that week to a buddy - I wanted to go down there because I decided it would be a historic victory and it was! But we didn't get there... he was too cheap to buy tickets outside their stadium and I wasn't making the drive alone

oh so many memories - when i die, 51% of my ashes will be dispersed at the Cell and 49% at the Big House - place where I have had such wonderful times, I'll just stay there forever as ashes!

:lol:

Go Blue!

damn you muthaf***a I was at that game and it was one of the worst moments of my life especially as I saw it coming before the snap and I try to forget it and now you reminded me again!!!!!!   

I have split season tickets for UM, going with OSU package -

running back will be interesting but we'll do.

I like the rest of your post and assessments but am at work now so can't be too long. A best moment would be the 80 (or 81?) game against Indiana with AC making The Catch and taking it into the endzone (which is what I was thinking about at the 94 Colorado game, both plays with 6 seconds left) and the 1977 game against OSU (my first OSU game) - which probably means I am significantly older than you but what the hell, I am older than everyone here - Woody tore up the yard markers and we never ever saw it as we were celebrating too hard -

your ratings are are good except it made me feel old becuase my memories go back further than yours -

but nothing, nothing tops the thrill of the 1969 OSU game - I of course only watched that on tv but that was the game that made me a Michigan fan forever. My asshole former partner was at that game and had no right to be there, I should have been -    but what the hell, not as if we knew each other then and that is the greatest victory in Michigan history so what is not to enjoy - I was dancing for joy in my living room-

other bad moments would include the infamous 10-10 tie when we didn't get to the Rose Bowl and the 12-10 loss which we won but for the damn ref calling our field goal no good when it clearly was good -

the 97 PSU game, I called that earlier that week to a buddy - I wanted to go down there because I decided it would be a historic victory and it was! But we didn't get there... he was too cheap to buy tickets outside their stadium and I wasn't making the drive alone

oh so many memories - when i die, 51% of my ashes will be dispersed at the Cell and 49% at the Big House - place where I have had such wonderful times, I'll just stay there forever as ashes!

Go Blue!

Most of those games you mentioned, I am too young for, but I have seen the AC one on ESPN classic, great game.

You mentioned that you were at the Colorado game, that is probably your worst moment as a Michigan fan, I was at the 2000 Northwestern game (it was in Evanston), and there were a lot of michigan fans in attendance and more hearts were crushed in that stadium when Thomas fumbled, than not. We had that game in the bag too, it would have meant a trip to the Rose Bowl, oh well.

Another moment that could be added to my list of great moments is the 1995 Mercury Hayes catch in the corner of the endzone against Virginia. I remember going nuts during that game. I thought Scott Dreisbach was going to be better than Elvis, and I though Biakabatuka would be better than Wheatley. We all know neither met my expectations.

One play that I still ponder to this day, is why in the 1998, Michigan vs. ND game, Carr replaced Brady with Dreisbach at the 1 yard line for a sneak. When Dreisbach fumbled, I thought it served Carr right. As soon as he did that, he gave away that it was a QB sneak, and if he didn't care whether or not ND knew, he should have put Henson in rather than, Dreisbach. Then he tore Dreisbach to hell on the sideline. It was Carrs fault.

Most of those games you mentioned, I am too young for, but I have seen the AC one on ESPN classic, great game.

Only the last 56 seconds - we should have been way ahead - played badly - to have Indiana tie us in our own stadium, damn. When Corso went for the tie (kick) rather than win (two point), you know that just to tie us was a huge victory for them. But what a finish! The stadium was just roaring for the whole last drive - sometimes as you know that crowd can will the team to victory.

You mentioned that you were at the Colorado game, that is probably your worst moment as a Michigan fan,

for sure, being at, and probably, ever. The only other game that hurt close was the 99 Illinois game since we could see it coming long before it did. Then again, the 2000 game was sweet revenge and I went to Champiagn just to get it. Only time in my life, by the way, i was ever physically frightened - the drunk Illini fans were very threatening and about 100 of us in maize and blue gathered together and stood together until they left - self protection. And then the next day the Sox clinched the division - what a sweet weekend.

Other bad games were the series of slim OSU losses (12-10, 14-11) and the 10-10 tie when the Big 10 voted to send OSU and not us to the Rose Bowl in the early 70s - kind of toughened one up. Those were the days when only 1 Big Ten team was allowed to go to a bowl - wonder if you kids even realize there were days like that! We were undefeated and weren;t allowed to go to any bowl! The first time any Big 10 team played other than the Rose Bowl, when more than 1 team was allowed to go bowling, was the 1976 Orange Bowl, where we lost to Oklahoma. It was so stunning though that two Big Ten teams were allowed to go to a bowl...

I was at the 2000 Northwestern game (it was in Evanston), and there were a lot of michigan fans in attendance and more hearts were crushed in that stadium when Thomas fumbled, than not.  We had that game in the bag too, it would have meant a trip to the Rose Bowl, oh well.

I was watching on tv and besides the pain of losing as you say, and losing that way to that team, was the fact that it was A Train fumbling - that was what, his only fumble in 4 years (almost)? That it happened to him, being such a class person and player, made it hurt more than if it had been Terrell, just because you felt so bad for Thomas.

Another moment that could be added to my list of great moments is the 1995 Mercury Hayes catch in the corner of the endzone against Virginia.  I remember going nuts during that game.  I thought Scott Dreisbach was going to be better than Elvis, and I though Biakabatuka would be better than Wheatley.  We all know neither met my expectations.

Carr's first game and we were down 17-0 going into the 4th. Scary thinking our new coach was going to get shut out - scary wondering who the new coach was - and then, then 4th quarter :headbang :headbang :headbang We all thought Dreisbach was going to better than anyone and Biatakapuka was going to set every record. You weren't alone in that.

One play that I still ponder to this day, is why in the 1998, Michigan vs. ND game, Carr replaced Brady with Dreisbach at the 1 yard line for a sneak.  When Dreisbach fumbled, I thought it served Carr right.  As soon as he did that, he gave away that it was a QB sneak, and if he didn't care whether or not ND knew, he should have put Henson in rather than, Dreisbach.  Then he tore Dreisbach to hell on the sideline.  It was Carrs fault.

I would question that too. But Carr has rarely made the same mistake twice. And despite the occasion questionable decision, Carr is a damn whole lot better than Moeller. Yost, Crysler, Shembechler, Carr - those 4 names go together.