n. korea kills handicapped babies at birth

samclemens

QUOTE(samclemens @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
http://reuters.myway.com/article/20060322/...-RIGHTS-DC.html

i never thought it was this bad until i read this. and i believe it too. they ought to be next on our s*** list.

Some of us believe they should have been higher on that list than Iraq. To bad they aren't as strategically interesting to our government.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)
Some of us believe they should have been higher on that list than Iraq.  To bad they aren't as strategically interesting to our government.

i will agree with you. and i appreciate that you used the word "government" and not "administration", which is accurate.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
Some of us believe they should have been higher on that list than Iraq.  To bad they aren't as strategically interesting to our government.

It's even more interesting considering that Iran produces a lot more oil.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
It's even more interesting considering that Iran produces a lot more oil.

And from what I hear, a lot of enriched uranium. We need to get in there and nip that in the bud right now. And who knows, maybe we can use the oil to help them rebuild a democracy.

QUOTE(zach61 @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
And from what I hear, a lot of enriched uranium. We need to get in there and nip that in the bud right now. And who knows, maybe we can use the oil to help them rebuild a democracy.

Nicely played.

QUOTE(zach61 @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 01:33 PM)

You're right. We should leave them alone and let them fulfill their promise of nuking Israel.

QUOTE(knightni @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
North Korea = next to and a friend of China.

Korean War was effectively USA fighting China.

Connect the dots.

More true then, less true now. Still an issue of course. That was what I meant when i referred to the overall strategic importance thing.

The North Korean "tactical" situation forces the United States and the rest world into a different "strategic" view and/or response to the nuke threat posed by them. Please, please keep in mind that the capital of South Korea (Seoul) is within North Korean artillery range and hundreds of thousands people could be killed in a conventional attack by the North on the South, in just the first few hours. Now granted that even conventionally the U.S. and South Korea could clean the North's clock in a few days, but are you willing to gamble with the lives of millions of South Koreans to achieve that result? There is also the real possibilty that the North, if provoked could fire off a Nuclear artilley shell or missile at Seoul, which could kill millions. (The last time I was in Korea while in the Navy was in 1980 and I believe the population of Seoul at the time was 5-6 million, it may be double that now.) The only real way to reduce or eliminate the threat from North Korea is a massive tactical nuclear strike and I don't think anyone wants that. As for the threat from Korea to the U. S. I wouldn't be to worried for now re: that, the U S Navy a very good job of tracking state of the art Soviet "Boomers" and they are all over the North Koreans. The greater danger is the North selling nukes to terrorists or smuggling a nuke in a container ship and setting it off in Los Angeles harbor. It's a grand world.

http://www.slate.com/id/2117846

That article is one of the best I've ever read on Slate. It's about North Korea, and it really opens up your eyes as to the Human Rights conditions there.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
You're right.  We should leave them alone and let them fulfill their promise of nuking Israel.

All things considered, I don't think they'd nuke Israel. Israel has, after all, nukes as well as the third holiest city in Islam.