Sox Sign Jose Contreras to 3 Year Deal

G&T

Every starting positional player and starting pitcher now signed through 2007 with at least a team option.

Buehrle - 2007 Team Option

Garcia - thru 2007

Contreras - thru 2009

Garland - thru 2008

Vazquez - thru 2007

Pierzynski - thru 2008

Konerko - thru 2010

Iguchi - 2007 Team Option

Uribe - 2008 Team Option

Crede - ARB thru 2008

Dye - 2007 Team Option

Anderson - ARB thru 2011

Podsednik - ARB thru 2008

Thome - 2009 Team Option

Cotts - ARB thru 2009

Jenks - ARB thru 2011

McCarthy - ARB thru 2011

Mackowiak - 2008 Team Option

Ozuna - ARB thru 2010

FAs -

Politte - after 2006

Widger - after 2006

Edited by RME JICO

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
Dont want to start a Rowand thread like last year.. look what it got him.. a Philly uniform.. anyone can get dealt. Part of a business, you need to look at it that way.  Its about winning now, not later...

Well, personally (and I'm likely the only one), I think that McCarthy gives us a better chance than Contreras does at winning now.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
Dont want to start a Rowand thread like last year.. look what it got him.. a Philly uniform.. anyone can get dealt. Part of a business, you need to look at it that way.  Its about winning now, not later...

Rowand also doesn't have the talent of McCarthy and we have much more depth behind Rowand on the depth chart than behind BMac.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)

McCarthy's value to this organization over the long term blows away the long term value that Rowand had to this organization.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 11:49 AM)
Thats why mccarthy made post season starts?  I'll take ozzies assesment of pitching thank you.

McCarthy was also a rookie, it was only wise to have the 4 veterans starting in the postseason rather than a rookie fresh up from AA. That really has nothing to do with anything.

Cost Cer-tain-ty

Clap-Clap-Clap--Clap--Clap

Cost Cer-tain-ty

Clap-Clap-Clap--Clap-Clap

I guarantee you this was one of those things that wasn't necessarily planned at the onset of the off-season, but with Jose agreeing to ink a deal at less than $10M per in today's market, Kenny goes with the cost certainty and views this as a can't-pass-up type of signing.

My guess is you'll see Brandon or one of the other starting pitchers moved at the trade-deadline if/when holes start to appear on the 25-man roster.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
Every starting positional player and starting pitcher now signed through 2007 with at least a team option.

Buehrle - 2007 Team Option

Garcia - thru 2007

Contreras - thru 2009

Garland - thru 2008

Vazquez - thru 2007

Pierzynski - thru 2008

Konerko - thru 2010

Iguchi - 2007 Team Option

Uribe - 2008 Team Option

Crede - ARB thru 2008

Dye - 2007 Team Option

Anderson - ARB

Podsednik - ARB thru 2008

Thome -2009 Team Option

we better hope this team is succesful then :P

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 11:50 AM)
I recall the Indians starting J. Wright his rookie season in the post season, and they were right on doing so as we were having mccarthy watch.

The Indians also didn't have 4 studly veteran SPs in front of him in the rotation.

QUOTE(indyman @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 11:50 AM)
Everyone is assuming all 5 starters will always be heathy.  It's very unusual if 5 starters to be heathy year after year.  I'd be surprised if BMac not starting sooner rather than later.

Yes, anyone can get injured... great point.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
I recall the Indians starting J. Wright his rookie season in the post season, and they were right on doing so as we were having mccarthy watch.

Man, you really hate McCarthy it seems. We had 4 outstanding starters, and the only reason McCarthy wasn't on the postseason roster was because Ozzie wanted Duque's experience to be on the team. You won't find many young pitchers in baseball with McCarthy's command, stuff, and poise. Personally, I'll be extremely pissed if we trade him.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
retrack? if he has all the tools, should it matter?

Yes, it does matter, you go with the pitchers that have more experience if their ability is ~ to the 21 year old rookie. I don't see how McCarthy not starting in the postseason really has any relevance to this.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 05:53 PM)
Lat time I checked , you play the players that give you the best chance of winning.

How can anyone who watched the 2nd half of last season really have anything bad to say about McCarthy? He was our second best pitcher down the stretch, behind Contreras.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
How can anyone who watched the 2nd half of last season really have anything bad to say about McCarthy?  He was our second best pitcher down the stretch, behind Contreras.

Personal Vendetta? :huh

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
Man, you really hate McCarthy it seems.  We had 4 outstanding starters, and the only reason McCarthy wasn't on the postseason roster was because Ozzie wanted Duque's experience to be on the team.  You won't find many young pitchers in baseball with McCarthy's command, stuff, and poise.  Personally, I'll be extremely pissed if we trade him.

Not at all Fathom... the kid has enough pressure on him. Just dont like the labels guys give these kids without substantional backing. I really Like Mccarthy, seen his MLB debut at Wrigley and he was the reason I went!

Edited by Soxpranos

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
Not at all Fathom... the kid has enough pressure on him.  Just dont like the labels guys give these kids without substantional backing. I really Like Mccarthy, seen his MLB debut at Wrigley and he was the reason I went!

Then why would you be so quick to whack a lable on a 19 year old pitcher? Felix Hernandez is still a teenager and you seem ready to lable him the second comming.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 05:55 PM)
Not at all Fathom... the kid has enough pressure on him.  Just dont like the labels guys give these kids without substantional backing. I really Like Mccarthy, seen his MLB debut at Wrigley and he was the reason I went!

The thing with McCarthy is that he's far and away our best young pitching "prospect". Our organization has very little in terms of pitching prospect depth, and if we trade McCarthy, we're going to end up having to spend 50 million a year to piece together a 5 man rotation.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 11:57 AM)
The thing with McCarthy is that he's far and away our best young pitching "prospect".  Our organization has very little in terms of pitching prospect depth, and if we trade McCarthy, we're going to end up having to spend 50 million a year to piece together a 5 man rotation.

Where as McCarthy is still under our control for years still and has the ability to match the productivity of anyone in our rotation.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 11:56 AM)
Then why would you be so quick to whack a lable on a 19 year old pitcher? Felix Hernandez is still a teenager and you seem ready to lable him the second comming.

I didn't... i dont label guys... you do?