White Sox Power Rankings

JoeBatterz

:gosox1:

Sport Syndicate

Chicago White Sox Power Rankings 4/18

A compiliation of Power Rankings focusing only on the World Champion Chicago White Sox. One common theme throughout the rankings, Thome.

As always, these rankings come out on different days, so they will not all be as current as others.

CBS Sportsline: #3

Jim Thome scored at least one run in each of the first 11 games -- the longest streak to open the season by a major leaguer since former White Sox 1B Frank Thomas scored at least one in the first 14 games of 1994.

ESPN: #3

Looks like the White Sox got the 40-homer Jim Thome. Through nine games, six of his 11 hits have been home runs.

Fox Sports: #7

Jim Thome continues to thump; a batting line of .318 AVG/.516 OBP/.909 SLG suggests he’s healthy and still a dangerous hitter. Three straight wins have pulled the Sox back to .500.

RotoTimes: #4

A nice bounce back for the defending champs after a disappointing first week. Jim Thome might hit 50 home runs this year if he can stay healthy.

Sports Illustrated: #3

Jim Thome and Paul Konerko are pounding the ball, the pitching's been good and the Sox enjoyed a nifty 5-1 week. If only rookie Brian Anderson could hit. Ozzie Guillen gave his new center fielder the weekend off after the kid struck out twice in an 0-for-5 loss to the Jays on Friday. Said Anderson (.129 with 13 strikeouts): "I stink right now." Lucky for you, the Sox don't.

The Sports Network: #3

Thome and Konerko forming one of best 1-2 punches in AL

TSN-Canada: #8

The champs have a feast or famine lineup, with Paul Konerko, Jim Thome, Joe Crede and Jermaine Dye feasting and Juan Uribe, Scott Podsednik and Brian Anderson struggling.

Key Injuries: None.

USA Today's Sports Weekly: #8

Win the World Series Odds: 5-1 (Tied for 2nd with the Mets, behind the Yankees at 4-1)

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 06:36 PM)
The Mets are legit

We will see. I'm not sold as of yet. But missed an entire week of baseball so I might sound like a dumbass right now. In which case, just virtual-slap me.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 06:41 PM)
Yea.. legitally overrated. 5-1 odds? C'mon. They had to beat the Braves to prove me wrong.

OBVIOUSLY World Series odds are stupid 2 weeks into the season. That's not to say the Mets don't have a damn solid shot to make it to the NLCS and beyond.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 06:42 PM)
OBVIOUSLY World Series odds are stupid 2 weeks into the season.  That's not to say the Mets don't have a damn solid shot to make it to the NLCS and beyond.

I'm basically saying "Beat the Braves." God I have how writers are fooled with how many big name players are on a team. The Braves have done it for 15+ years now, and noone is showing them respect? That's what I find odd. They play more like a team and we all know from the Twins the last few seasons it doesn't matter how much talent you have on the field on paper. Baseball is a team game.

BTW, WH1, don't get testy with me young man.. I'm your friend dammit!! :) :lol:

I will be heading to Vegas this weekend. It will be interesting to compare their in person rankings with what I find online. I will post more of the odds when I get back.

I was hoping the Sox kept struggling for a few more games so I could get them at 10-1. ;-)

The Mets are in good shape...IF, if Pedro Martinez and Tom Glavine stay healthy and have no major issues with their pitching during the year.

They have an offense that can carry them, but I don't trust that pitching staff yet. Their top 2 guys aren't exactly young, especially glavine, Pedro's alreayd had injury problems, and their other starters are Brian Bannister (Who?) Steve Trachsel and Victor "I got the s*** beaten out of me last night by the Braves" Zambrano. If either of the top 2 guys make less than 30 starts, that's not a playoff rotation.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 09:28 PM)
I don't think the Mets are any better than the Astros or dare I say... the Cubs. Hot start, sure, but it's a long season.

The East Coast media is really sucking them off right now. Quite a few of them predicted that they'd go to the WS.

I give the Mets props for their great start, but I don't trust a rotation whose only decent pitchers are a past-his-prime Pedro and an aging Glavine. Doesn't Glavine turn 40 this year? Yikes!

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
The East Coast media is really sucking them off right now.  Quite a few of them predicted that they'd go to the WS.

I give the Mets props for their great start, but I don't trust a rotation whose only decent pitchers are a past-his-prime Pedro and an aging Glavine.  Doesn't Glavine turn 40 this year?  Yikes!

Agreed. Victor Zambrano, Bannister, and Traschel are not what I like to term "good" as bottom three guys for a serious contender. That said, the Mets probably have a 1/4 chance of making the World Series based entirely on how terrible the NL is this year. St. Louis dropped off a lot from last year and I think losing Clemens will affect the Astros down the stretch. Looking at it objectively, the most talented NL team might actually be a healthy Cubs team. That said, I'm sure Dusty could find a way to ruin it and without Wood and Prior, I don't think that rotation is good enough to win the World Series, even if they make it. Hell, even the Brewers with an overall s***ty rotation has as good a chance as any to make the playoffs.

I think the 4 best teams in baseball are all from the AL: White Sox, Cleveland, Red Sox, and Toronto. Those are all the teams with "all the pieces in place" (i.e. good line-ups, good rotations, stocked bullpens). I just can't see any of the NL teams beating one of those squads in a 7 game series, unless there's a lot of luck involved and the AL team limps into the series.