17-7

SnB

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 11:41 PM)
Well the scariest part about this is to be honest is, unlike last April, I don't think we are clicking and playing our best ball yet.  However with the encouraging signs from Pods, Politte, Thornton, Cotts, and even Anderson....we're getting close.

I've got to disagree here. Last April, our pitching staff played out of their minds, but our offense was horrid. Almost everyone, save Iguchi, got off to extremely slow starts. We got to 17 wins by eeking out a number of 1 run games, which means we really were lucky to put that record up.

While it's nice to believe that we can significantly improve upon our 16-3 run once we are 'clicking', that's not going to happen. We aren't likely to play .700 ball another month this season. But there's nothing wrong with that. With the division as competitive as it is this year, 95 wins should seal the division, and the April we had puts us well on our way to reaching that goal.

QUOTE(knightni @ May 1, 2006 -> 08:04 AM)
4. Explain to Pods that he needs to not use his groin at home so that he can use it at work to steal bases.

Not.gonna.happen.

I mean, you wouldn't stop using it at home if you had that, now would you?

:lolhitting

With this great start, we are exactly 1.5 games ahead of 2nd place Detroit. So while congratulations are in order, let's not annoint this team just yet. Put it in perspective. Plus, at any given time 1/3 of the players are playing great, 1/3 are struggling, and 1/3 are on their way to either of the above groups.

I think this time is better than last years, but talent alone doesn't win divisions and world series, luck, health, etc. are all necessary

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 1, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
Who must be feeling great right now since they are playing way over their heads and still are a game and a half out. :)

Maybe they are playing over their heads, or maybe they've got a good mix of young but maturing ballplayers along with some solid veterans and proven manager.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 1, 2006 -> 08:05 PM)
Maybe they are playing over their heads, or maybe they've got a good mix of young but maturing ballplayers along with some solid veterans and proven manager.

That right there is the key to me.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 1, 2006 -> 02:08 PM)
That right there is the key to me.

Nobody is giving the Tigers any respect because they've been down for so long. I'm not so sure they aren't deserving some respect. I seem to recall a team in 2005 that didn't get much respect, but had a pretty good year.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 1, 2006 -> 03:26 PM)
Nobody is giving the Tigers any respect because they've been down for so long.  I'm not so sure they aren't deserving some respect.  I seem to recall a team in 2005 that didn't get much respect, but had a pretty good year.

Exactly.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 1, 2006 -> 01:26 PM)
Nobody is giving the Tigers any respect because they've been down for so long.  I'm not so sure they aren't deserving some respect.  I seem to recall a team in 2005 that didn't get much respect, but had a pretty good year.

They were already in first place at this point :P

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 1, 2006 -> 08:35 PM)
First place at the end of April ... and no respect.

I wouldnt say that, we were many peoples preseason pick to win the world series, and sure we are not getting the attention the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, and Albert Pujols are getting but almost everybody regards us as a legitimate top 3 team.

QUOTE(soxhawks @ May 1, 2006 -> 03:20 PM)
I wouldnt say that, we were many peoples preseason pick to win the world series, and sure we are not getting the attention the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, and Albert Pujols are getting but almost everybody regards us as a legitimate top 3 team.

Hell, most people respect us as the top team in baseball. I have no qualms about anything.

The Tigers have a pretty good mix of youth, veterans, and a great manager. I don't think they're just going to fade away, unless some injuries hit.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 1, 2006 -> 09:33 PM)
Guys, I was talking about a lack of respect at the end of April 2005, and relating it to the Tigers not getting respect now.

^^^

i was confused about their responses too