Lease vs buy

RockRaines

I've done both and it really depends on your situation. When I was in a position where I had to, by terms of my car allowance, trade every three years, I leased. I was swapping dollars. I know the cars I bought, and cared for, cost me less per mile than the ones I leased.

Buy a car that has been leased and turned back in. Allow someone else to take the depreciation hit. Find a nice car, with 30,000 - 40,000 miles on it and you can get a better car than you would buy knew.

I bought a 3yr old Lexus ES300 with 42k miles with an extended warranty to 100k miles for the same as what my ex-girlfriend paid for a new 2-door Accord LX.

Be patient and find the right deal and you can get more for your money that way.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ May 2, 2006 -> 07:56 PM)
Buy a car that has been leased and turned back in.  Allow someone else to take the depreciation hit.  Find a nice car, with 30,000 - 40,000 miles on it and you can get a better car than you would buy knew. 

I bought a 3yr old Lexus ES300 with 42k miles with an extended warranty to 100k miles for the same as what my ex-girlfriend paid for a new 2-door Accord LX. 

Be patient and find the right deal and you can get more for your money that way.

Thats what I was thinking. Im looking for a second car, more like a summer car type thing. And I was looking at some lease deals, and they looked pretty good.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 2, 2006 -> 07:57 AM)
After years of owning cars, im thinking seriously about getting a lease on my next one.  I like to get new cars every 3 years or so, and buying them seems more expensive than leasing. 

What are your thoughts on both?

If you get rid of them quickly than you may be better off with leasing, especially since you only pay sales tax on part of it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 5, 2006 -> 11:05 AM)
If you get rid of them quickly than you may be better off with leasing, especially since you only pay sales tax on part of it.

What the deal with trading in a leased car, do you just get to lease a newer model, how much money down is then involved?