This Loss is on Ozzie

JDsDirtySox

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 5, 2006 -> 09:30 PM)
This loss is on Bobby.  That being said, Ozzie does have to stop dicking around in the 9th, enough is enough.

Sure Bobby didn't look sharp tonight.

But Ozzie started him off by having the tying run on first with no one out... instead of at the plate. Let Bobby have the 9th. No Loogies necessary... just give the ball to Jenks.

No matter how many disagree, I'm with you. Those that play baseball or have played baseball on a team know that relievers just feel more confident when the job is theirs and they dont have to make up for other people's mistakes. The lead-off walk just set the tone for a bad inning. I am seriously tired of this match-up garbage. Jenks is our closer. Let him close.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 5, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
This loss is on Bobby.  That being said, Ozzie does have to stop dicking around in the 9th, enough is enough.

I blame Bobby as well. He had absolutely nothing tonight. I also agree though that if Ozzie is going to use Jenks, then give him the whole inning.

No, this loss is not on Ozzie.

Thornton was throwing gas in the 8th and was sent in to get the left-hander out in the 9th. Bobby has been pitching a lot of innings lately and if Thornton could have gotten an out or two, everyone would have been saying that was the right call.

This loss was a blown save on the closer. It happens. Luckily, this was the first time this year.

What's more troublesome is this pen unable to stop the bleeding.

Its every pither in the ninths fault and Ozzie's. Ozzie could've started with Jenks with a one run lead and Jenks could've at least held KC to just one run. Neither happened and the sox lost. Blame both the pitchers and ozzie.

If Jenks would've just let that one run score that he inherited and stopped them there we would've had it. Can't blame just ozzie.

Edited by Whitewashed in '05

this loss is on the BULLPEN.  it's the weakest part of our team.  we signed OLD ASS jeff nelson!!!!!  that lets you know that they know it too.  it's just one loss but you hate to lose a game to a KC team that just sucks beyond all recognition

I wouldn't laugh. Old ass Jeff Nelson could end up being better than three of our current relievers (Politte, Thornton, and Logan).

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 5, 2006 -> 09:35 PM)
People laugh at Jeff Nelson, but this guy has a hand full of rings, has pitched on the game's grandest stages, and is murder on right-handers.

We'll see how many are laughing when he develops into a go-to guy in the late innings.

With the bozos down in the pen right now, just Nelsons experience with decent stuff can get the job done better.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 5, 2006 -> 09:33 PM)
and if Thornton could have gotten an out or two, everyone would have been saying that was the right call.

This isn't true at all. People have been complaining about this for a while now. Hell, go back to the first Cleveland game, Ozzie did the same s*** and got Bobby into a jam that he was able to get out of but people were still pissed off about it.

This one is on Bobby cause he was horrible BUT if Ozzie continues to do this s*** in the 9th, he's going to blow a ton of saves for Bobby. Even the best of closers usually allow a baserunner in the 9th and that's why they need a whole inning. If you keep putting your closer into a jam, he's going to blow many more saves.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 5, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)
One person I'm not blaming for this is Matt. He did his job and he's been pretty solid, he just shouldn't have been out there in the 9th, he's not a closer.

Just curious, has Ozzie deemed Jenks the "closer" this year?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 5, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)
One person I'm not blaming for this is Matt. He did his job and he's been pretty solid, he just shouldn't have been out there in the 9th, he's not a closer.

Everyone takes the blame. As a pitcher you're supposed to record outs anytime you are called on, no matter what inning.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 5, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)
Just curious, has Ozzie deemed Jenks the "closer" this year?

I don't know if a manager actually has to announce it, but Jenks is out there in the ninth so I say yes.

Guest JimH

The way Jenks pitched tonite, Aaron Guiel hits the game tying HR off him and it gets progressively worse from there.

You guys squawk about matchups but by the same token you insist the closer gets all three outs.

Here is what Ozzie learned tonite ... Boone Logan will be sent out soon and he will put both Jenks and Thornton back on the horse asap.

Guest JimH
Everyone takes the blame. As a pitcher you're supposed to record outs anytime you are called on, no matter what inning.

Right. Thornton had Guiel where he wanted him and then dicked around with at least three pitches up and out of the zone.

Jenks was, well ... bad.

Logan got schooled by Stairs, I have seen enough of Logan for now, get some experience up here.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 5, 2006 -> 09:41 PM)
The way Jenks pitched tonite, Aaron Guiel hits the game tying HR off him and it gets progressively worse from there.

You guys squawk about matchups but by the same token you insist the closer gets all three outs.

Here is what Ozzie learned tonite ... Boone Logan will be sent out soon and he will put both Jenks and Thornton back on the horse asap.

Ok, good, I'm normally not on at this time and I wasn't sure if I was missing something.

That's exactly where I was headed. You can't have it both ways.