Climber sits dying on Mount Everest as people pass on by

tigerfan

Speaking of which, here's a recent story of survival;

An Australian man believed to have died as he descended Mount Everest has been found alive.

Lincoln Hall, 50, was presumed to have died on Thursday when he was left behind by his Sherpas after he started hallucinating and refusing to move.

But another climber found Mr Hall still alive on Friday, triggering a large-scale rescue effort.

Duncan Chessell, whose company DCXL is helping in the rescue, said Mr Hall remained in "grave danger".

"It's going to be a miracle if he can get out of it. He is in bad shape," he said.

The incident came amid continuing controversy over whether a New Zealand climber, Mark Inglis, was right to leave behind British climber David Sharp, who died on Mount Everest earlier this month.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 27, 2006 -> 09:53 AM)
Last night there was a story on this on CNN, and they mentioned that there are over 200 bodies on Mt Everest. I wonder how many of them are openly visible? Seems pretty creepy to me.

I know Hillary was involved in organizing a big clean-up where they picked up several hundred empty oxygen bottles and other such debris. I think they may treat the bodies like those on the Titanic, and consider the mountain a grave site as well.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 27, 2006 -> 08:53 AM)
Last night there was a story on this on CNN, and they mentioned that there are over 200 bodies on Mt Everest. I wonder how many of them are openly visible? Seems pretty creepy to me.

I watched that segment as well. I'd imagine few bodies are visible. Snow drifts and avalaches probably bury a good portion of those left behind. Of the estimated 200, I would guess 3/4 were before 1980.

Don't know what kind of clearance is needed from Nepal government to scale Mt. Everest, but I can't imagine there's good communication between a climber and whomever gives the approval. Someone simple as, "oh, well, Mr. Smith was supposed to contact us on June 14th but never called. Maybe we should send out a search team," is probably nonexistent.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 28, 2006 -> 07:04 AM)
From what I understand, it costs a lot of money to climb Everest. I imagine, some people only get one shot. I'm not saying it's OK to leave a dying person on the side of a mountain, but if it's me climbing.....sorry Sucka.

Also, there is no way these people can be rescued, they cannot be reached. The story of the climber walking past the dying man seems very callous when you read it at first, but then you realize that these climbers would have to carry him down the mountain and hope that your own oxygen doesnt run out. Everest seems like it is truly a "Do or Die" venture.

1996 was one of the worse in Everest history and many books were written. There was a huge examination and blame tossed around and behaviors examined. One of the amazing stories involved Beck Wethers who was left for dead a couple times and survived. His rescue was the highest recorded flight by a helicopter. He is an amazing speaker and it is a great story. A great read is Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer.

The Nepal government issues permits for climbing Everest. The permits are given to guides who charge big bucks to guide people up the mountain. They build as close to a road as possible to get people up and down, but it is still a dangerous game.