Here comes Liriano...

The Ginger Kid

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 09:24 AM)
This is incredibly inaccurate.

Every team would like to import more talent from the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, etc. but to say the White Sox have ignored the area and don't travel there is a blatant misstatement.

Jim, where are the results?

Where are the players we can point to as proof the White Sox organization is intent on developing Central American talent? You can count Arnie Munoz and Felix Diaz as recent examples if you want, but neither have proven themself as servicable major league pitchers.

If our scouts are actively roaming Central America searching for amateur free agents, they've been doing a poor job.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)

Where are the players we can point to as proof the White Sox organization is intent on developing Central American talent? You can count Arnie Munoz and Felix Diaz as recent examples if you want, but neither have proven themself as servicable major league pitchers.

If our scouts are actively roaming Central America searching for amateur free agents, they've been doing a poor job.

You should go and hand out fliers for the Sox.

Guest JimH

Flash,

I am not debating the results.

I am taking issue with your statements, the ones where you state the area has been ignored, they don't travel in those areas, and that those areas have been completely ignored. It's flat out incorrect.

The White Sox have a team in the Dominican Summer League, they've had it for years. Competition for those players is intense. Look at the rosters of White Sox low level farm teams like Bristol and Great Falls, they are generously sprinkled with imports from the Dominican, Venezuela, and more. Some kids will pan out, others won't. Some pitchers hurt their arms, some don't. Some kids mature and progress, others fall off the map.

The White Sox are also expanding their efforts in the Pacific Rim, something they should have done long ago. We will see if this Anderson Gomes kid amounts to anything. My understanding was there was an under the radar bidding war for him and the White Sox got him. Brazil to Japan to low Class A. The only reason they got a kid like that was because of scouting. Francisco Hernandez, the catching prospect they have. Who knows if he'll amount to anything but he was another signing out of the area you stated they ignore.

One other thing they've been doing is selectively targeting other teams minor league systems. A good example is Pablo Ozuna, he was a guy they tracked and signed even though other teams didn't think he was a major leaguer. Not saying he is an impact player, he isn't, but he is a contributer.

Do I think they can do better? Yes. Do I think the guy they have in charge (Wilder) is competent? Absolutely yes, he is on the short list for upcoming GM jobs and has interviewed for a few. For what it's worth he is an extremely sharp guy too, very impressive individual. Not that it means a whole lot but he is a quality baseball guy.

I would like to see them get even more aggressive in the Pacific Rim area, utilize Guillen's influence to further mine Venezuela, and keep up their efforts in the Dominican. Then the next area to examine is minor league player development. It is one thing to sign and import these guys, quite another to ensure they receive proper training and instruction. But they are spending a lot of money scouting players and I suspect their results will be like most other organizatons with these kids ... somewhat hit and miss. Unfortunately it's the nature of baseball.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 04:26 PM)
I would like to see them get even more aggressive in the Pacific Rim area, utilize Guillen's influence to further mine Venezuela, and keep up their efforts in the Dominican. Then the next area to examine is minor league player development. It is one thing to sign and import these guys, quite another to ensure they receive proper training and instruction. But they are spending a lot of money scouting players and I suspect their results will be like most other organizatons with these kids ... somewhat hit and miss. Unfortunately it's the nature of baseball.

I agree with several points.

Guillen's popularity in Venezuela could only prove beneficial to drawing talented players to our recently opened baseball camp. Name recognition may one day prove vital in obtaining a Felix Hernandez phenom. Now, I realize it may be unrealistic to expect; but atleast the possibility exists. Hernandez's idol growing up was reportedly Freddy Garcia. If he were a few years younger, who knows what influence our World Series championship would have had on him. Perhaps he actively seeks the White Sox camp to pitch for Guillen, or alongside his idol.

Scouting Far Eastern countries, even if by video alone, doesn't hurt. It's proven successfull with Shingo and Iguchi. Williams may want to consider searching primarily for relief pitchers entering next season.

And as for the Dominican Team, isn't it a roster comprised primarily of walk on players? I didn't think there was much scouting involved in assembling a winter-league team, aside from sending certain prospects from the minor league clubs down to have more experience.

Utimately, I realize scouting is hit and miss. We've simply been missing since 1994. It really becomes more than badluck after 12 years. There's been no contributions. You are right to criticize me for insisting there's no scouts in Central America. It was more of a statement directed towards their inability to locate talent.

Everything is compounded, IMO, since (up to last season) our payroll wasn't very high and the ballclub had been consistently medicore. Thus, we were removed from signing big name FA's and drafting high. With our 100 million dollar payroll, obvioiusly, our financial situation is a bit improved. Perhaps more money can be devoted to scouting foreign countries as well.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 04:26 PM)
Some kids will pan out, others won't. Some pitchers hurt their arms, some don't. Some kids mature and progress, others fall off the map.

This is all that needs to be said. When you're talking about kids from the latin countries, you're quite literally talking about KIDS. These are players who are signed at age 16, equivalent to Sophmores in HS.

You think the draft is a crap shoot, try projecting a poor 15 year old rail thin shortstop who uses a broomhandle for a bat. I know I wouldn't want the task of scouting a JV high-school game trying to predict who will be a major leaguer.

We're talking about kids who are going to take 6 years minimum in your system to reach the majors, and more likely 8 before they ever establish themselves. You wanna know why Minnesota has Liriano? It's because SF couldn't keep him healthy and on the field. The attrition rate for pitchers from latin america has to be incredible. I have no data to back me up, but you have to figure that big league clubs can, at the very least, take a pass on players who get injured in the states between age 16-18, and sometimes until age 21, thanks to the draft system. That has to make some difference in the success rate of drafted players versus those signed as babies.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
A lot of people in 2003 would have taken Mark Prior over almost every other pitcher in the league too. Talent only gets you so far sometimes.

its funny you mention Prior

there was this huge debate back then that the twins were making the wrong choice in drafting Joe Mauer. Back then, the pitching staff was not as deep as it is now, and Prior was more 'major league' ready

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
its funny you mention Prior

there was this huge debate back then that the twins were making the wrong choice in drafting Joe Mauer. Back then, the pitching staff was not as deep as it is now, and Prior was more 'major league' ready

And now the Twins will have one of the best rotations in baseaball with probably the best 1-2 punch around and probably the best catcher in baseball while Prior sits on the DL with another unknown injury for the Cubs.