Big Frank

QUOTE(rangercal @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
disagree, Frank has been scorching while the sox and thome have been struggling.

And who's to say Frank doesn't go down with a severe injury in the first week of the season if he was still on the Sox? It's amazing how he's managed to stay healthy who knows if he has that same luck if he had stayed in Chicago.

Also, if you remember the Sox were pretty brutal for the first month of the season, Thome basically carried the damn team during that same time Frank was pretty damn bad the Sox would likely have fallen pretty far behind the Tigers if it weren't for Thome and who knows how far back they'd be right now.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
And who's to say Frank doesn't go down with a severe injury in the first week of the season if he was still on the Sox? It's amazing how he's managed to stay healthy who knows if he has that same luck if he had stayed in Chicago.

Also, if you remember the Sox were pretty brutal for the first month of the season, Thome basically carried the damn team during that same time Frank was pretty damn bad the Sox would likely have fallen pretty far behind the Tigers if it weren't for Thome and who knows how far back they'd be right now.

Fact is he didn't get hurt. Could have been had for 500 k + incentives and we would have still had Rowand and 2 stud spects. Rowand could have been traded for a different need on the team , perhaps bullpen (that killed us in april). I said this all before the season started, so I don't want to hear no hindsight bulls***. Had frank gone down in april I would have had to hear it from several guys here. Since he is kicking ass on a 1st place team, you are hearing from me.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
Fact is he didn't get hurt. Could have been had for 500 k + incentives and we would have still had Rowand and 2 stud spects. Rowand could have been traded for a different need on the team , perhaps bullpen (that killed us in april). I said this all before the season started, so I don't want to hear no hindsight bulls***. Had frank gone down in april I would have had to hear it from several guys here. Since he is kicking ass on a 1st place team, you are hearing from me.

You know where I stand, and considering the buyout option ($3M) and the option ($10M) we would have had to sign on to retain him, it wasn't exactly realistic.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
You know where I stand, and considering the buyout option ($3M) and the option ($10M) we would have had to sign on to retain him, it wasn't exactly realistic.

We wouldn't have had to give him the $10M option in order to retain him. We could have given him the buyout and then an incentive laden contract for 2006.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 05:44 PM)
No reason to harp on that. It wasn't going to happen with KW at the helm. I'm not happy that he's not finishing his career here, but all you can do is get over it.

I'm not harping on it, I only brought it up to refute what you posted.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
We wouldn't have had to give him the $10M option in order to retain him. We could have given him the buyout and then an incentive laden contract for 2006.

If I recall correctly, wasn't it quite a bit more complicated than that? I.e. to keep negotiating with Frank after the time his buyout was given, we'd have to have offered him arbitration, but the Sox were never going to offer him arbitration because salaries don't decline by 80% in arbitration, etc.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 07:52 PM)
If I recall correctly, wasn't it quite a bit more complicated than that? I.e. to keep negotiating with Frank after the time his buyout was given, we'd have to have offered him arbitration, but the Sox were never going to offer him arbitration because salaries don't decline by 80% in arbitration, etc.

Good call. And then we wouldn't have been able to sign him until May 1.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 06:52 PM)

This is misleading. Once the Sox bought out his contract, which I believe they did shortly after the World Series, he was a free agent. They could have signed Frank to a new contract before the abitration deadline without having to offer him arbitration.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 07:14 PM)
This is misleading. Once the Sox bought out his contract, which I believe they did shortly after the World Series, he was a free agent. They could have signed Frank to a new contract before the abitration deadline without having to offer him arbitration.

This is correct.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
disagree, Frank has been scorching while the sox and thome have been struggling.

Ummm, what?

How exactly has Thome been struggling???

August: .329/.453/.586

September: .358/.410/.581

Thome's worst month was June when he went .264/.371/.514

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 08:28 PM)
Ummm, what?

How exactly has Thome been struggling???

August: .329/.453/.586

September: .358/.410/.581

Thome's worst month was June when he went .264/.371/.514

Thome is a mercenary and will be remembered by White Sox fans in the same manner as Tom Seaver.

Frank's pride would never have allowed him to sign a $500,000 deal with incentives with the White Sox.

It's a totally different situation signing with a team that he had accomplished nothing with yet.

It would've taken a LOT more than 500K to get Frank back, and KW would never have done that with the questions about Frank's foot.

The Sox were fortunate to get a good replacement for Frank, and Oakland was fortunate to get Frank at (as it turns out) a bargain rate.

It just wasn't going to happen that way here.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Frank's pride would never have allowed him to sign a $500,000 deal with incentives with the White Sox.

It's a totally different situation signing with a team that he had accomplished nothing with yet.

It would've taken a LOT more than 500K to get Frank back, and KW would never have done that with the questions about Frank's foot.

The Sox were fortunate to get a good replacement for Frank, and Oakland was fortunate to get Frank at (as it turns out) a bargain rate.

It just wasn't going to happen that way here.

...and really, what else were Frank's options after the Sox decided to part ways with him?

There was talk of the Twins, but they thought it was a better idea to sign Batista and Rondell White.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 10:34 PM)
Jim Thome>Frank Thomas at the moment. Frank is having a solid season and good for him but we'd be worse off with Frank, no doubt about it.

The statistics say that there is "doubt about it", despite what Rowand44 from Soxtalk.com writes.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)
The statistics say that there is "doubt about it", despite what Rowand44 from Soxtalk.com writes.

If all you looked at were statistics, you'd think Aramis Ramirez and Juan Pierre were having solid seasons, when the reality is they both let the Cubs down when they were needed most, and are padding their stats in a meaningless second half.

Likewise, Jim Thome's spectacular April and May helped the White Sox win a lot of games that are now helping to keep them in contention despite a .500 second half, while Frank Thomas got off to a very slow start and then later heated up, helping the A's achieve their annual second-half outburst.

If the Sox had Frank's slow start, who knows if the Sox would even be in third place? I don't know that, and neither do you, but the fact is that Thome's hot start was invaluable to the Sox's early success.

Statistics are great, but they hardly tell the entire story.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)

What stats are we talking about exactly? Because Jimmy has been better than Frank in every category. Anyways, Jim carried this team for a while, if we switched him and Frank than we're worse off right now, there is no doubt about that.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
If all you looked at were statistics, you'd think Aramis Ramirez and Juan Pierre were having solid seasons, when the reality is they both let the Cubs down when they were needed most, and are padding their stats in a meaningless second half.

Likewise, Jim Thome's spectacular April and May helped the White Sox win a lot of games that are now helping to keep them in contention despite a .500 second half, while Frank Thomas got off to a very slow start and then later heated up, helping the A's achieve their annual second-half outburst.

If the Sox had Frank's slow start, who knows if the Sox would even be in third place? I don't know that, and neither do you, but the fact is that Thome's hot start was invaluable to the Sox's early success.

Statistics are great, but they hardly tell the entire story.

Thomas would also be single handidly winning games for the Sox right now, as he is currently doing for the A's. He has carried the A's in the last 40 games. Thome, when he plays these days, gets rbis in blowouts and losses, mostly.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 11:32 PM)
What stats are we talking about exactly? Because Jimmy has been better than Frank in every category. Anyways, Jim carried this team for a while, if we switched him and Frank than we're worse off right now, there is no doubt about that.

Frank has carried the A's for a while. Why so much man love for a guy who will wear a Sox uniform for 2 years, tops?

Edited by MSHAWKS

I am happy that Big Frank's still doing good! Keep it up big man.

After he hit 2 homers off JG he started getting it together. He could have started cold with us, which who knows how long it would have been til he got hot. I mean I am sure Anderson could have hit 2 homers off JG at the the time. Then again maybe he would have started okay because Chicago is his "home." No one really knows if he would have started out as cold/got injured or whatever the case may be, but its really moot now.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 11:37 PM)
Frank has carried the A's for a while. Why so much man love for a guy who will wear a Sox uniform for 2 years, tops?

Well because he's been great, does that work? He's on the Sox now and he's having an absolutely fantastic season, that's probably why he gets so much man love from me. As far as Frank, good for him. I honestly don't care what he does, I know that's not the popular opinion around here but I couldn't care less what Frank is doing right now.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 11:45 PM)
Well because he's been great, does that work? He's on the Sox now and he's having an absolutely fantastic season, that's probably why he gets so much man love from me. As far as Frank, good for him. I honestly don't care what he does, I know that's not the popular opinion around here but I couldn't care less what Frank is doing right now.

He was great.....in April and May. He is nothing but a rent-a-player whose White Sox legacy looks to be that he was on the most talented White Sox team not to make the playoffs. He's an endnote in White Sox history.

I just hope that when Frank's statue is unveiled on the outfield concourse, when his number is retired, and when he is inducted in to the hall-of-fame you don't revert to being a fan of Frank's.