underrated films or hidden gems

jackparkman

Non-Horror fans probably have no idea what a wonderful film Dellamorte Dellamore (aka Cemetery Man) is. Incredibly beautiful in it's cinematography, some great humor, a ton of stuff to leave open for interpretation, and some great FX, including the coolest Grim Reaper to ever appear in film.

Barry Levinson's Toys is a flawed gem. Beautiful cinematography, and prescient in some of the predictiosn it made about the convergence of the video game culture and the American military-industrial complex.

I know a lot of peole have a low Joan Cussack threshold, but she is perfectly cast in this film. Robin Williams' performance is solid and somewhat understate – at least by Robin Williams standards. :D

I've told a few people to check out this film. Of those that have, at least half of them think I'm nuts and didn't much like the film. So what the hell do I know? :bang

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
Non-Horror fans probably have no idea what a wonderful film Dellamorte Dellamore (aka Cemetery Man) is. Incredibly beautiful in it's cinematography, some great humor, a ton of stuff to leave open for interpretation, and some great FX, including the coolest Grim Reaper to ever appear in film.

I may be one of the few members on Soxtalk who has seen this movie. Granted, it was a long time ago, but I vividly recall how good it was. In relation to other Italian horror films it's practically an instant classic. Typically, since European films consist of poor production value, it's difficult to convince people of their value. Even Dario Argento -- genuinely regarded as Italy's Alfred Hitchcock -- leaves something to be desired in regards to scripts. If anyone were to heed your advice and rent/buy Cemetery Man, they'd atleast be witness to a film with a noticeable budget.

What I enjoy from Italian horror films is the emphasis placed upon assembling an effective atmosphere. Films such as "Demons," "Inferno," "The Church" (from director of Cemetary Man), and "Suspiria" (especially) are great examples. Problem is, I haven't heard of quality films exiting Europe lately. I know Argento is supposedly in the beginning stages of creating the final film in the "Three Sisters" trilogy, but besides that, nothing is happening.

Now, back on the topic. Here are my underrated/hidden gems. I figure I'll keep it in the horror/suspense genre since I know what's considered low-key.

-Suspiria

-Session 9

-The Gate

-Angel Heart

-Dead/Alive

-Fright Night

-Jacobs Ladder

-Candyman ( I know this is well-known, but people often don't give it credit)

-Don't Look Now

-Full Circle

-The Beyond

-Videodrome

All I have for now. :D

QUOTE(Nokona @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
Zoolander.

There was a moment last night, when she was sandwiched between the two Finnish dwarves and the Maori tribesmen, where I thought, "Wow, I could really spend the rest of my life with this woman".

QUOTE(jackparkman @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
my blue heaven and the pope of grenich village

two hidden gems worth checking out in my opinion

also miller's crossing

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 04:38 PM)
Welcome to Collinwood is a must

And here is a Christopher Walken Trio that is a must rent or own

Suicide Kings

Poolhall Junkies

Scotland, Pa

All of the above three are seriously must watch movies.

Two good movies here. Suicide kings is such a great underated movie totally forgot i saw that movie, now i want to see it again. I luuuv walken!

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)
Two good movies here. Suicide kings is such a great underated movie totally forgot i saw that movie, now i want to see it again. I luuuv walken!

Dude, rent the other two in the trio and let me know what you think.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 11:14 PM)
City of God, it got a lot of great critic ratings, but I haven't met one person besides my friends that have seen it. One of my all time favs. Definitley underappreciated and recommended to anyone who likes movies.

I'd have to say:

Hard Eight

Bottle Rocket

Spice World

Dark City

Mallrats

OK...not Spice World.

Happiness of the Katakuris (2001, dir. Miike Takashi)

Notoriously known as the horror director that made Audition, this is a total divergence from his typical style. Think of it as "The Sound of Music" on acid. It is so damn funny but it is a real dark comedy. If you like Monty Python style films, you'll thoroughly enjoy this musical/drama/horror/comedy.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 06:57 PM)
-Suspiria

-Session 9

-The Gate

-Angel Heart

-Dead/Alive

-Fright Night

-Jacobs Ladder

-Candyman ( I know this is well-known, but people often don't give it credit)

-Don't Look Now

-Full Circle

-The Beyond

-Videodrome

All I have for now. :D

Yes, this is an absolutely amazing movie, it's so sad that so many people have never seen it. It's the only horror movie that ever actually made me uneasy when I saw it for the first time. So well done.