Who is the Best Young Pitcher in MLB?

chitownsportsfan

No AAA guys or prospects in the minors. I'll name King Felix to start and hopefully a good debate ensues.

Felix Hernandez:

7487.jpg

Off to a bit of a slow start this year, but dominated in a little over 84 innings last year, dazzling everyone with sick stuff and amazing periphereal stats as well. Only 19 and is the youngest player in MLB-- and can't even throw his slider yet, which is apparently his best pitch. Crazy.

Stats:

In 2005 he pitched 84.1 innings, posting an ERA of 2.67, a K/9 of 8.22, and a K/BB of 3.35. Now for the good stuff: opponents posted an OPS of .545 against him with a G/F ratio of 3.31.

Apparently, he has good late and low sink on his pitches!

In 2006, according to USSMARINER pitching charts, he's relied too much on the 4 seam fastball early in games, and has had control problems as well. His periphereals are still good, but he isn't getting many people out when he's not striking them out. He had some shin splints in spring training that held him back and conditioning is already an issue in his young career.

If he can stay healthy and keep his head about him--staying in good physical condition and not believing his own press clippings--he's all set to be the best pitcher in MLB for the next 10 years.

Those are big questions, and many a young pitcher with amazing talent has flamed out too soon. For entertainment value alone, I hope the King beats the odds.

Now, someone mention Liriano! :D

Edited by chitownsportsfan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 10:35 PM)
Liriano appears to be the right answer right now. However, just for fun I'll throw Scott Kazmir and Justin Verlander out there.

No doubt, but I'd like to see him do it a little bit longer, at least a few teams having a second go at him (even though I think he'll continue to be great).

One guy who I like, even though he's struggled so far this year, and is only a couple of years older than those guys, is Peavy. Not saying I think he'll be the best out of the young guys but just throwing his name out there too.

My criteria: 25 or younger. Carlos Zambrano simply blows everyone else away. He leads the majors with a .187 BAA.

Here are my Top 20:

First Tier:

Carlos Zambrano

Jake Peavy

Rich Harden

Second Tier:

Danny Haren

Scott Kazmir

Francisco Liriano

Justin Verlander

Jeremy Bonderman

Jeff Francis

Dontrelle Willis

Felix Hernandez

Ervin Santana

Third Tier:

Josh Johnson

Jered Weaver

Enrique Gonzalez

Anthony Reyes

Matt Cain

Cole Hamels

Joe Blanton

Zach Duke

Honorable mention:

Chad Billingsley

Brandon McCarthy

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 11:06 PM)
For future benefits? I'll buy that. But right now, at this very moment, Carlos Zambrano is the most unhittable pitcher in the major leagues, regardless of age.

He also has a major screw loose. He can be shook.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 11:06 PM)
For future benefits? I'll buy that. But right now, at this very moment, Carlos Zambrano is the most unhittable pitcher in the major leagues, regardless of age.

I don't know if I'd take Z even now. Liriano is younger, a lefty, walks way less people, is just as unhittable when he does throw strikes (which is a lot more often), and isn't a raging lunatic.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 04:08 AM)
another thing, I dont see how Liriano and ervin santana can share the same category. Honestly

It's more like a class. Liriano would be at the head of the class, while Santana would be at the bottom. Ranking guys is hard, but I agree that Liriano is more valuable than Santana.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 04:08 AM)
I don't know if I'd take Z even now. Liriano is younger, a lefty, walks way less people, is just as unhittable when he does throw strikes (which is a lot more often), and isn't a raging lunatic.

Yeah, it's a matter of opinion. I think the fact that Zambrano is a Cub also clouds the judgement of hella motherf***ers.

All I know: the dude is a no-hitter waiting to happen.

And you can't knock a guy for being fiery.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

I'm absolutely shocked he hasn't finished off one of his numerous 7 inning no hitters yet. The guy is going to catch a break some time this year and close one out. If he didn't act like some crazy ass crackhead he'd get a s***load more praise from people.

Zambrano is the only player on the Cubs worth keeping and he's def up there. One name I'm surprised nobody has mentioned is Jon Papelbon.

He's been lights out this year in the close role, and now the Red Sox have a major decision on their hands regarding his eventual long term role. I have to believe they will use sabermetrics to determine he's much more valuable as a starter.

If I recall correctly, I don't think he was that hyped of a prospect, although certainly he was good, I don't think anyone expected him to be this good.

I'm absolutely shocked he hasn't finished off one of his numerous 7 inning no hitters yet. The guy is going to catch a break some time this year and close one out. If he didn't act like some crazy ass crackhead he'd get a s***load more praise from people.

Yep. I remember looking up his stats this past offseason and doing a doubletake. I looked them up to compare him to Buehrle, and I have to say--from the stats--Zambrano is the better pitcher. Could just be the weak ass NL though.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 04:24 AM)
Zambrano is the only player on the Cubs worth keeping and he's def up there. One name I'm surprised nobody has mentioned is Jon Papelbon.

He's been lights out this year in the close role, and now the Red Sox have a major decision on their hands regarding his eventual long term role. I have to believe they will use sabermetrics to determine he's much more valuable as a starter.

If I recall correctly, I don't think he was that hyped of a prospect, although certainly he was good, I don't think anyone expected him to be this good.

Right, I was only thinking in terms of starters. Papelbon is a freakshow.

Zambrano should of had like 4-5 no-hitters already in his career but I would say 8 out of 10 times his defense has cost him that mark. He is insanely good. Liriano is a hella stud (potential, again that ugly word, is through the roof, moon, sun, etc.) but I agree with HJ, Zambrano has proved it for more than one season, and noone can touch him when he's on. (or semi-on)

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 11:27 PM)
Right, I was only thinking in terms of starters.

Ditto. Jenks should also be mentioned then. And I'm not being a homer about this.

God I hope Oliver Perez, and Zach Grienke figures their s*** out. Great potential on these two cats.